• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How many more days till the Bass opener??

"he caught two guys fishing before the fishing season opened with plug type lures they all went to court and earl explained to the judge that the type of lure the guys were using was not a lure used for that type of fish they claimed they were after."

And tell me where I have ever advocated using lures and techniques that are not species appropriate for species that are legally in season and present in the body of water and in the general location being fished. I DO NOT advocate a person throwing whatever they want to throw no matter what. You have to be legally targeting an open species with gear that is appropriate to that legal fish.

If those people said they were fishing for crappies and using a medium sized bass cranks or top water than they were in fact guilty. However if they were using tiny poppers or small floating rapala's or mini crankbaits or mini spins they were not breaking the law and got screwed by a judge and CO that don't know anything. And if they said they were fishing for carp, they would in my mind be breaking the law because plugs of any type may catch a carp but only on rare occasions; other lures are far more effective. If they claimed they were fishing for Bowfin, then they were within the law and got screwed because a Bowfin will hit almost anything. (I've even had one attack my boat)

There are cases where this law would clearly be breached, but only an idiot would fish that way, there is no reason to because there are so many techniques that are "Dual-Use" and effective across species.

If you were using a legitimate dual use bait, you can defeat the CO in court several ways easily.

1.Find articles that talk about fishing for the legal species with the techniques you were using

2.Bring the product descriptions that list or show the lure you were using as being for the species you were legally after.

3. Go fishing with a video camera and show the lure actually catching the species you were legally targeting.

This type of evidence would be necessary and valid and would trump the testimony of a CO. In court matters of fact and evidence trump suspicions and accusations.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyberfish

• dan2957

• walleyehawk

• dewoutdoor70

oops oooops

[This message has been edited by dewoutdoor70 (edited 02-04-2004).]

"Hey basspastor, A jig and pig in the pads is another good way to catch those bowfin. I caught a few of them last year that way. (during bass season of course) Nothing like a 6lb bowfin trying to pull you through the pads."
Last year I had a Bowfin wreck a brand new Snag Proof Tournament frog; I was so pissed. Doggies are very much topwater predators. Lots of times you can tell a doggy because they will wake right behind a bait or wake up to it and not hit right away.

One bad thing about Dogfish is that they are tackle destroyers. They have sharp teeth, are normally fairly large and don't tire out making extracting hooks from those hardheaded slimy beasts very tricky once they are in the boat.

BASSPASTOR I hope if you ever do get pinched you do a better job of selling the judge than you are selling us.I could care less what you do, but your not fooling anybody here.

Looks to me like someone is back pedaling something fierce right now.

Back Pedaling????

"And tell me where I have ever advocated using lures and techniques that are not species appropriate for species that are legally in season and present in the body of water and in the general location being fished?"

See the problem with you people is that you are only hearing what you want to here, not what I am actually saying which is perfectly legal, logical, and ethical.

I am not impressed with your reading of the law or logic of your position, therefore I reject your ethic.

If you see me or someone else you think is breaking the law it is not your place to say anything. Call TIP and let the CO sort it out. Only the CO can make the actual determination on this issue and because their is no objective way to measure what a person is targeting, it is as easy for a CO to be wrong in enforcing the law. From my understanding most CO's don't enforce this one unless the violation is blatant. In which case I think they should enforce it.

And as long as you self righteous ethics police are going to continue to complain about people who are probably fishing within the bounds of the law than I am going to continue to complain about you and your nitpicking.

And this year I have decided to take up Bowfin fishing in the interest of expanding the the things I can throw and equipment I can use early on in the season. Who knows maybe I will even be the 2004 Bowfin Champion. I know right where a big one lives on Platte.

Take up bowfin fishing??? Wow, do you think we are that darn stupid????

You are sad. Very sad.
You know darn well, deep in your heart you are targeting bass before season with whatever approach you like to say you are using.
You are also very entertaining trying to justify your stance. You have dug such a hole in this topic you will not come close to getting out of it. We all know it.
And the CO for the Platte Lake area may have a little heads up, if ya know what I mean. Don't kid yourself.
Have you ever thought that one of us out here on this forum may work for the state enforcement agencies????? Nothing like proof in print to back a possible conviction huh? You should stop before you dig yourself any deeper. Although, I am enjoying your excuses and justifications. Keep 'em comin.

Have fun blowing your time in court with your "due process" if you get confronted by the CO that WILL ticket you, while I am on the water "targeting" legal species buddy.......

Basspastor aka Basspoacher circa 2003

Ah, the same old arguement from last year. If this is so legal, I encourage you to go fishing with a game warden. He will give you a "spirit" of a ticket when you follow the spirit of the law. Where do you differ from the guy shining deer or catching in excess of his/her limit. Follow the laws!

Then when you go to court, all of your comments on this site from this year and last will be admitted. So it will not appear to be an "accidental catch"

There was an article in the Outdoor News about how some bass group wants to change the season opener. Join with this group and work to change the system instead of thumbing your nose at the law. Argue biology with the DNR. Good Luck.

Personally, I wait until the season opens and leave spawning fish alone.

P.S. Are there rewards for calling TIPS???
I'm a little short lately and need bait money.

That number is 800-652 9093.

My other suggestion. Just move to Wisconsin.
Their season opens early. Stop the "ethics" discussion. Or take up walleye fishing.

Hey basspastor, A jig and pig in the pads is another good way to catch those bowfin. I caught a few of them last year that way. (during bass season of course) Nothing like a 6lb bowfin trying to pull you through the pads.

[This message has been edited by basguy31 (edited 02-04-2004).]

"Take up bowfin fishing??? Wow, do you think we are that darn stupid????"

Actual I was being serious. I have had a change of heart regarding that ugly fish. For the first time in my life, I actually am going to try and catch them this spring and be the MN Bowfin Club Grand Champion, maybe even set the state record. If you will go back in the archives of last year you will see that I didn't consider fishing bass spinnerbaits as being legal before the pike openner and bass plastics and jigs to be legal before bass openner, but then again I never thought of targeting dogfish before. I've always regarded them as a trash fish and certainly never wanted to catch one.

I fished with one of the founding members of the MN Bowfin Club and he talked me into the idea of actually trying to catch them and joining the club. I recommend the rest of you Yahoo's try it as well. Why not, it is a way to expand the days you can use heavy tackle and fight bigger aggressive fish. There is nothing facious or illegal about what I am saying. When the weather gets nice this spring I am going to be tossing spinner baits, jigs, and plastics for Bowfin.

I have caught them through the Ice on occasion and have an idea about where they will be. And think one advange is that doggies probably don't care about a steel leader on a jig or plastic so I won't have Pike stealing my jigs and plastic rigs all the time.

I loved this one.
Are you tired of wasting hours and days chasing one pound bass? Walleyes that fight like sticks? Then consider the bowfin. The Bowfin, with its partner the Gar, claim the title America's Toughest Sportfish For 100,000,000 Years!©

Found another bowfin site:
bowfinanglers.com

Here was another good one:
"The Northern Snakehead, a foreign invader that is currently on the "kill it" list, somewhat resembles a bowfin. To prevent any fine bowfin being mistaken for this Chinese terrorist, please click on these links to see the difference"

[This message has been edited by Basspastor (edited 02-05-2004).]

Basspastor, I'll pray for you that you'll reform your wayword ways and not contaminate your sacred L.M. Bass tackle. I think there should be a Pre season archery season with tags issued for maybe 5 fish per season. That should still leave plenty for a successfull spawn.

Shoot, look at dogfish, carp, and suckers, they handle an archery season pretty well! Heck, they all get bigger than those little bass.

Jeez!!!

A whole bunch of drama.

I see IN-Fisherman is teaching people how to catch carp. rolleyes.gif Carp?????? Carp???? What???? Slimmy Smelly Carp. What are they thinking?
IN-Fisherman is telling people they can eat CARP.

AHHHHH Dude, are you eating carp?
Yeah man Im eating carp.

Hang your head in SHAME IN-FISHERMAN.
I want my $15 dollars back.

114 more days...........................

------------------
Isnt Winter over yet????

Ya, I think that In-Fisherman is really taking a nose dive since Al and Ron left. I watched the show this weekend and the have the two hosts behind a booth reading a script. Both seem so uncomfortable and only Doug Stange even seemed interested in being there. Ya, I want to watch this. Their talent pool is real empty.

Basspastor. Get outside and enjoy life. You are starting to sound like one of these TV trials by trying to rationalize your wrongs by loopholes and technicalities. It was only Jesus juice your honor. Say you do go bass catching (you are not fishing for them so it is not bass fishing arguement) and you have a CO ticket you. You decide to make your stand and fight it. They get wind of your writings here and decide to throw the book at you.

Do you have the resources to spend on attorney weasels to fight the charges at this point in your life? The stress and hassles? And can you afford to lose your fishing license? I think we can all find better uses of our time than the court system.

To me that is the final say on this. Do what you want. But don't come crying back to this board when he lose your fishing license. And since so many states now recriprocate and share poachers and violator names-and prevent them from getting a license, your fishing may be done for a while. And do tournaments want convicted fishing regulation violators involved in their tournament? Heck no.

Can you stand that to "make your point". For a few weeks jump on fishing for bass? Just does not seem like a choice that is worth it-regardless of the species of fish.

walleyes really fight like sticks dont they,hum,thats news to me,rather catch and eat a walleye than your so called bowfin,someone needs some fresh air and a ticket from the co,and bye the way they do read this

I give up.
I used to follow BP as if he was the Pope out here. I really enjoyed his updates, tactics, approaches, etc....

Now, I have seen the light. BP is Charles Manson. A leader of nutcases in their own little world.

Thanks for the memories BP. The law shall prevail.........

Unfortunatly this year the real fisherman with common sense are not coming to my defense or are just baiting me for the fun of it.

To this point I have been on the defensive, now, I will go on the offensive.

Fishing a crappie minnow below a bobber in the spring in a dark bottom bay:
A: Crappie technique
B: Bass technique
C: Equally effective for both.

Which type of fish are small beetle spins effective for catching?
A. Crappie
B. Sunfish
C. Bass
D. Pike
E. Walleye
F. All of the above

Which type of fish are small Rapala's and Crankbaits marketed for.
A. Crappie
B. Bass
C. Walleye
D. All of the above

Dogfish are commonly caught on which lures:
A: Topwaters
B: Plastics
C: Spinnerbaits
D: Crankbaits
E: Live Bait
F: Deadbait
G: All of the Above

True or False:
Sportfish tend not to be in the same location as Panfish.

Without sight fishing it is possible to intentionally catch panfish without also having an equal chance of catching a sportfish relative to the sportfish to panfish ratio in a lake or river.

Of coarse every honest answer to these questions undercuts the notion that you can "target" one without at least semi-intentionally targeting the other if they happen to be swimming in the same area, which may very well be the case depending upon the make up of a fish population in a given body of water.

For those of us who fish clear water, it is common to see crappies, bass, sunfish, pike, roughfish, muskie and even walleyes all in the same habitat at the same time especially in the Spring. A notion that you can "target" one to the exclusion of the others is an illusion when using techniques that qualify equally between all.

ive been getting minnesota sportsman for 8 years i think its the best magazine out there hands down,as for carp there fun to catch and they are great smoked i also get outdoor news weekly also its a great paper

[This message has been edited by dewoutdoor70 (edited 02-05-2004).]

The only fishing magazine I get in the mail is Walleye Insider, also I buy Outdoor News whenever I stop at the St. bonni Holiday.

Dan da Mans famous Carp recipe....

1st Catch big slimmy carp.
2nd Fillet big smilly Carp.
3rd Start grill.
4th Wrap Carp fillet in bacon.
5th Surround fillet in mud and then wrap
in aluminum foil.
6th Put the fillet on grill.
7th Grill for 10 minutes on each side.
8th Take off grill.
9th Take fillet out of foil, throw away
carp fillet and eat the bacon and mud.
YUMMY!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I will agree that carp can be fun to catch. I caught a 20# carp last fall on a crank bait. Man it was huge! IT stunk my boat up dude! tongue.gifewk:

------------------
Isnt Winter over yet????

[This message has been edited by dan2957 (edited 02-05-2004).]

I've had smoked carp and it isn't too bad, until you flip the filet over and look at the scales. Hard to get that image out of your head.

I love whatever is on the end of my line. Two years ago I had the goal of 40 different species caught that year. Back surgery kept me out of the boat too long so I had to postpone that.

I have caught carp, sturgeon, smallies, muskies, crappies, walleyes, saugers. Each offers it unique challenges. Heck, I even know a guy that thinks eelpout are the best and I have caught a few of those. I prefer walleyes and would like to catch more pike this spring. Eat whatever you want, as long as it is legal. Some less desirable fish taste better when you take the blood line out from what I hear.

Basspaster. Give it up. The more you rationalize your illegal catch, the less respect you earn. All for just two weeks fishing? See the big picture. All the energy you expend defending yourself or going on the "offensive" is offensive to the sportsman in this state. Poachers are scum and people that fish out of season or exceed their limits are poachers. These are shoes you don't want to be wearing.

When the season opens in Wisconsin, go over and fish to your hearts content. You won't have to worry about the CO and you can enjoy bass fishing. When Minnesota season opens, come back. If you have to change the law, work with your legislator. But enjoy life because none of us know how much time we have and none of us has time to waste arguing state laws!!

Fishface5 and friends

f9c27fb6.jpg

"Now now, I know it was love at first sight, but we gotta turn em loose! "

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 02-05-2004).]