• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How is the fishing on buffalo

Well if you like a lot of vehicle, snowmobile, atv, and dirtbike traffic, Buffalo is the lake to go to. Last weekend there was a guy on a dirtbike w/ studded tires ripping wheelies across the lake back and forth. Then there's the guy with the new Blue Edge X Polaris sled that rips across the lake at mach 90 with the loudest set of pipes money can buy. Since all of the traffic has been out on the lake, I have not done so well there so I decided to venture around to different lakes.

YES IT IS A ZOO OUT THERE to bad they cant find a lake nobody is fishing on say pelican maybe unless its a fishouse beer drinking tear around thing who knows, sure does make for some terrible fishing though

Thanks for the feed back. It sounds like a three ring circus out there. Why can't these people with the atv's just stay on land, or have some respect for others, you don't see people water skiing in circles around peoples boats when their fishing.idiots i tell ya. thanks again

------------------
knock'em dead

There is a lot of traffic out there, but it has not slowed the bite down at all. At least not for me. I caught my limit both days this past weekend. All the fish I kept was 10-11". A lot of smaller ones mixed in. Everytime a truck drove by or an atv, I caught a fish. One thing you have to go is go smaller, pull a fish out of the school and then let your bait sit still and let him look at it. After about 30 sec. he would start tapping it. Very light biters, but they are biting. All fish came on tiny crappie minnows. Tried wax worms one day and they would react to it but not commit to it.

Slab

Hope you don't mind me asking, but were you by the courthouse, or another location. It sounds like patience is needed out there, very little jigging. what time was the bite on? morning or afternoon?

thanks

------------------
knock'em dead

Yes, 3-ring circus, especially on weekends. ATV's, stereos, Ford diesels. I heard that super-loud ATV, too. Still, the lake is producing good crappies, I'm catching average 9.5". Afternoon bite has been good to me. I was out last on Sunday eve.

The advice about letting them stare at it has been holding true the past couple weeks. I'll also confirm to use the smallest crappie minnows you got first. Simple glow jigs, plain hooks, maybe even ice flies - but keep it small. Don't bother with the waxies.

Basically - "What he said!", to a tee. smile.gif

-Jim

Jim , Slab , where abouts you havin the luck? I've been trying to find an area to pick up on a few for dinner but have only managed two or three on any one day.Did pick up a 24 inch wally tho last monday night about 6pm.I've been movin around in and around the 25 to 17 foot depth range. Any info would really be great . Thanks.Mel.

One thing about Buffalo, there's no secret spots, it's a free-for-all. I've been in two spots mainly, after doing the courthouse thing earlier this season:

1) Straight south of Cty 12 and Cty 35 intersection, on the edge of the pit in the vee on the north side of the sandbar. I like the west side of the vee.

2) On the southwest end of the sandbar, directly south of the north-side lake access about halfway across the lake towards Montrose, set up on the steep wall where everyone else is lined up - it drops from less than 10' to over 30' real fast. I call it the grumpy old man line. Last sunday, schools of crappies hovered at 17'-22', we were set up over 28' depth on the slope.

It pays to have a lake map. Here's one that is pretty acurrate, I've used it by shore landmarks alone to find the structure: http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/b0127011.pdf

Good Luck!

Hey, whereabouts did you get the 'eye?

[This message has been edited by federline (edited 01-15-2004).]

I was thinking about going out to Buffalo lake today, and was just wondering how the fishing has been the last couple of days.

------------------

I have been fishing right in the middle of the group in 30 fow. I do have an atv so I try to get set up out there by five or so in the morning. I do this because hardly anyone is out there and I am pretty close to people, but I dont want to bother anyone while their fishing. So I beat them out there. It has not bothered me to have someone drive by or start drilling holes right beside me. The fish still stick around and like I said earlier, I think the fish like the commotion. I did fish in front of the courthouse earlier, but moved out deep a few weeks ago.
I was having good luck on walleyes a few weeks ago on the west side of the hole in about 26-28 fow. All the eyes I caught were suspended in with the crappies. I took home six that were carbon copy 17" over three nights. Most of my fish have come on a small white glo jig with purple on top. I did catch a few this weekend on a perch eye jig. I will be out there tomorrow afternoon and evening.

Slab

Hey Federline...

Are you gonna be out on Buffalo this weekend? If so, maybe we can hook up. Let me know if you wanna. -- Andy

[email protected]

------------------
"Don't worry, I'll pick up your trash for ya!"