• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Maple Lake w/tip ups & kids?

Hiya,
Is Maple a decent lake for northerns on tip-ups? I'm gonna have kids with me, so I don't want a long walk. I'm thinking the bay from the north access.
Am I wasting our time?

Rob

A good place for Northerns is on the south access on hwy 55. Go to the left toward the back bay and set up on the break which is about 50 yards from the start of the bay. Maple has a lot of smaller pike but don't be supprised if you hook into some big bass. They usually run,stop,run,stop where pike usually run a while then stop, then slowly start again. Be sure not to run to the flags, the lack of snow means they will be spooky. Hope this helps, good luck. smile.gif

Rob
I have fished Maple many times during the summer for bass/northerns but never winter fished it. My best luck was on the south end along a break line that runs along the east side of the lake. There are some big bass in there...i have got into 20 inchers before. Lots of hammer handle sized pike too

Sgt Riverbasher

Thanks, guys! I'll try to get out and if I can, I'll let you know how I do.

Peace
Rob

Lake Sarah E. of Rockford on 55 is a good pike lake. There is a big flat straight out from the pub. access that has a few rock piles on it with weeds around them that make great pike trap setting spots. Sunnies might be coming back too, but I haven't been out there this year.