• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rude People on Mille Lacs

Ole1855

I was on Mille Lacs on Sat. afternoon, the wife and I were drifting and decided to set up for bobber fishing for the evening. We motored to an area that looked good, there wasn't a boat within 100 yards of us, we put out the anchor and began bobber fishing. We each caught a walleye within 2 minutes, both were ~22-23". Within the next 2 minutes we had 7 boats either trolling or drifting by us, and this is NO B.S., these jerks were coming within 10-15 feet of my boat, several times we had to reel our lines in or people would have run them over. One guy in particular had two young boys, maybe 14-17 years old in the boat with him, he was by far the biggest jerk. He has a ProV with a 200 hp Merc. and as he is drifting by us his kid say's "Aren't we getting a little close", he was about 15-20 feet away, the dad starts the 200 hp Merc and backs closer to about 10-12 feet, I have to reel in my line so it doesn't get caught in his prop. The wife told me not to get out of control so I didn't say too much, but I did ask if he thought he was teaching his kids a good lesson. Had I been on the lake without the wife I would have been throwing stuff at the jerk.

It's a big lake people have some etiquite and respect for everyone else.

And if the jerk happens to read this, I won't be as calm the next time!!!

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 06-03-2002).]

Ole-

Thanks goodness for patient people like yourself. Even though the wife was with you you showed some patience.

I must say I some some a'holes doing the same thing around the group of boats we were in. Everybody was either still fishing or slow trolling and thewses guys came in with the big motor (200 hp) trolling cranks (long lines) and cutting off soms people that are drifting or coming real close to the still fishers.

There will always be a'holes on every lake, just use your judgment when you approach and come near other boats. This year ecspecially, there are plenty of fish to go around. Dont crowd and keep the peace. Last thing we need now is some "lake rage"!

The guy must must have been a frickin idiot if he couldnt catch fish in the past week. We got 50 in 15 hours. About 15 were slot fish. We would just drift over the structure. Everyone was catching fish everywhere. I have never seen so many people catching fish, big fish too. You can get in situations were you are fishing around 20 boats drifting around. In that scenario you will inevitably drift close to someone by accident...but purposely trolling to get close is ridiculous. Especially how this fishing is now.

A couple of weeks ago I was anchored while splipping bobbers. There were a few boats around and a launch nearby. I pulled anchor to move 50yds, and when I dropped anchor I looked up and there was the launch. He dropped anchor, leaned out and said "I thought you leaving". Needless to say, his back end swung over the top of my anchor, so pulling it would have put me in his bathroom. Next I was surrounded by about 40 boobers. I had to wait it out. I don't make it a practice to fish a spot if there are alot of boats or a launch. Lakemaster was the best thing that happened to me not knowing the lake too well.

BigBoy,

Just as an FYI, once your message is posted, you can click on the little symbol with a pencil above your post and edit your text.

As far as the launch thing.....I wouldn't have been too happy about that.

I have seen situations on certain pieces of structure on Mille Lacs where a number of people are trolling a breakline and a number of people are wanting to bobber fish it. Nothing but conflict there.....I always just leave those situations and go find my own spot. Even if I don't get into many fish, I still enjoy the experience so much more.

However, as has been stated before in this thread, this year, no one should be crowding someone else. The active fish are everywhere.

I understand the importance of patients and the downfalls of confrontations....But we need to realize that if nobody "educates" these people about respect on the water, then you might as well not even comment about it...Because one monkey sees, and another monkey does.

Be patient and give the benefit of the doubt at first, but don't go without saying anything. If they are cocky and have an attitude then I guess it's up to your own discretion to either move or attempt to right the situation...But by letting a-holes be a-holes...they will only take advantage of someone worse the next time.

just my 2 cents

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 06-04-2002).]

Huskminn

Thanks for the editing tip. New to the forum but have been reading it for about a year. I'm on my second year fishing ML; seen alot of weird stuff but I keep to myself and am diligent about not intruding on others fishing spots. I wouldn't want a complete stranger walking up and sitting down in my goose decoys. (although some have tried to sneak up on them.) Same principal I apply on the water.

one time i went there last month and when i was fishing at north end and saw one boat threw box that coem from leeches since i am deaf and so when my boat drift to ge to box and i net it and and trolling to that boat and i threw it to thier boat and told them dont threw box in water and fishermen's face were red and he said sorry about it
i cant belive that he knew that i was there

OLE,
Here's what happened to me on Saturday the 1st of June.

I was fishing off of Sherman's point in about 11 ft of water.

The closest boat to me was about 50ft away not bad but every f#@&ing boat heading in went right between the 2 of us at full spend.

Stupid people should stay off the lakes until they can learn some manners!!!!

Willie,

You're right, that's the other thing that rip's me, when there is 133,000 acres of water, why do people have to blast though the boats to restart their drift? You can either pick a lane and slowly, courteously, putt back through the pack that's drifting, making sure you keep a respectable distance, or if you have to blast, go around to the outside of the pack of boats. And if you're heading for the landing as Willie pointed out, PLEASE, PLEASE take the extra 20-30 seconds it takes to go far enough around so you don't bother anyone. For most people this is nothing more than common sense and etiquite, but there is always got to be a few jerks around.

Ole

"Educate them"...youve got to be kidding me. These morons should have enough common sense to keep a respectable distance. There will always be problems with "crowding" in common areas when boats are around, thats understandable. But cruising and fishing within casting distance when boats aren't around is ridiculous. What can you do?

I think the most popular move these idiots make is anchoring in the middle of a drift. I'm sure you have all seen this. Every one will be drifting a spot, then once you catch a fish someone gets the bright idea to anchor right where you set the hook cause "thats where the fish must be." We usally use these people for markers. I love to watch them try to anchor in the sand on a windy day.