• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Schmidts lake

I was wondering if anyone could give me any infomation about Schmidts Lake on Wright Co RD 35 near Buffalo? Is it a private lake? If it is a private lake, who should I contact about maybe getting access to it? Does it have a boat access?
I've seen some fish houses on it and in the summer it looks as if it has some good fish cover. Any INFO about it would be helpful.

Schmidt Lake (on Cty. Rd 34)! Now I know which one you're talking about...I was thinking of Lake Wilhelm (sea plane base)...now that one is un-fishable. Schmidt Lake has walleyes left over from DNR rearing days gone by, small ones. There's also sunfish, crappies, bass and pike. Don't know numbers though. People have been saying they're all kinda small...same thing over on Green Mountain...lots of small panfish, occasional small walleye too...

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-28-2003).]

Thanks for the info ackotz. I believe it also runs by Co 35 for about 100 yards (the north end). It sure does look BASSY from the road. Thanks for the tip about Green Mountain.

friends of mine were on this lake a few days ago and kept 17 walleyes all between 16-19 good eating size

Hey dan2957...

I was looking at your profile, I see you're a driver and live in Buffalo...who do you drive for?
I'm a truck driver and drive for Vitran Express (LTL) and am looking for work closer to home (Monticello)...

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-26-2003).]

Hey ackotz,
I work for Spee Dee Delivery in St Cloud. I am the yard guy/trailer jockey.
Its a good campany... medical insurance is weak. All drivers are home every day unless weather keeps them out. The CDL drivers are all a good bunch of guys and a few of them fish. Matter of fact I just got back from Minnewaska with two of the drivers. The crappies were smokin up to when the cold front blew through.
Some routes pull doubles. I have a doubles endorsment even though I stay in the yard. There may be an opening very soon for a CDL position so if you are interested you should apply soon.

------------------
If it aint a BASS, it might as well be a rough fish.

Dan, thanks for the info...

I'm doing linehaul for Vitran right now. I checked into SpeeDee before I got hired by Vitran. If I remember correctly, SpeeDee didn't pay their linehaul drivers mileage...only $11.50/hr plus double trailer differentials (what are those?). I get both mileage and hourly with Vitran. And I'm also home every night. I'm making about $200 a day right now...the longer the run (Fargo, Madison, Des Moines, etc.), the more the money! Please, let me know if you find out what SpeeDee linehaul pays for "double trailer differential" (and what that is? grin.gif) and how quickly one moves up the payscale. At Vitran, you start at $15/hr and .34 cents per mile. In 4 years you top out at $18+/hr and .48cpm...At Vitran you also get time and one-half after 8 hrs (daily) or 40 hrs(weekly)...according to the SpeeDee (job description packet they gave me), "Overtime is paid at time and one-half for each week"...which tells me after 40 hrs.

Hey Dan,

I see you "added" stuff to your profile ! wink.gif
You moved to the wrong state if you want to be a pro bass fisherman...this is the minor leagues of bass fishing...(well, I guess it's a place to start...but you'll still need a day job!) Make sure you fish Lake Minnetonka hard! That's where they hold the biggest annual bass tournament around here (I think)...Gander Mountain also sponsors a pro "Bass Fishing League/Tour...

P.S: "If it aint a BASS, it might as well be a rough fish."
You better get rid of that signature around these parts mister wink.gif You obviously haven't tasted a walleye (our State Fish {salute!})...bass?...tastes like rattlesnake! eeeuuuwww! grin.gif

I had to see what all this fuss is about on Schmidts today. Fished from 3:30 pm to 6:00 and didn't get a bite. Oh well.

Hey ackotz,
I think you nailed Spee Dee down pretty good. Yep the doubles diff pay is extra pay when you pull doubles, thats all that means. Time and a half after 40. The bennies are not all that great if you have a family. Starting pay is 11.50, after 90 days it goes up .25 and after 6 months it moves up .50 every six months till you hit the max on the pay scale (think that is $14).
It is definitely not the bet paying job that I have had thats why I'm on the job hunt. I always have my eyes open. I want daytime hours.
As for MN not being a good bass state I'll have to disagree with you. The bass dont get super big here, that is true. But for numbers you cant beat it. I live 3min from a great bass lake and I have alot of catching up to do (too much time playing Billy Big Rigger). MN is the minor leagues for Bass fishing, what a great place to learn. Back in TX I had to drive about an hour to get on the water. I can be on the lake in 10min and I'm on the lake about 3-4 days a week during the summer, ya gotta love that. Im still learning about the Smallies, man they are fun. I had one bend my Terminator spinnerbait straight this year on the RIVER!
WATCH OUT B.A.S.S. HERE I COME!
P.S. Walleye are way to finicky.

------------------

I would'nt think about eatin a BASS EWWWWWWWW!!
I like crappies better. One day ill learn Walleyes but I would rather have someone teach me about them.
Right now I Eat, Sleep, Drink bass fishing.
You walleye fisherman are toooo sensitive heheheheheh wink.gif

------------------

"10-4" on all that you said...bass fishing is pretty fun around here, they just don't get big.
I lived in 7 states, went to 14 schools in 3 countries, before settling in California for 22 yrs. (talk about big bass!), but never fished until I moved here in '97. My bro-in-law introduced me to it, and I did not want to have anything to do with it! All it took was one trip (Lake Oahe, S. Dakota)! Man was that a blast!! Love it now...soft or hard water.-- AK

I went out on this lake early on Christmas day. Between 4 of us we caught 1 small sunfish, 2 small bass, and 1 small crappie. Looks like the trash fisherman have found this lake, walked by three different sets of holes with at least 40 cigarette butts littered around each hole. Also walked by another set of holes and found two 7" sunfish and one 9" crappie left to rot on the ice. People need to start picking up their ****. Really to bad people can't clean up their stuff, it is a pertty nice lake. Also don't even thing about driving your car on this lake like some people have been doing. The lake averages about 10 inches of ice with quite a few spots at about 4 inches.

Does anyone have an idea about how deep this lake gets, what kinda structure is in the lake? anyone know how I can get a map of the lake? I know that DNR has very limited info about it.

------------------

I think it's max depth is about 15-18 feet and is subject to frequent partial winter kills. The lake in some ways is a blast to fish out of a boat because it is quite picturesque, but the fishing is usually sub par. The fish are small as a general rule and I've never gotten a bass out of their over 2lbs. Personally I have no clue how it remains stocked. I know it has a river inlet but to me that doesn't explain it.

• 4 weeks later...