• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Lake fishing?

I was planning on heading out onto Buffalo this weekend for the first time this year. Just wonder about the conditions of the lake, and the fishing. Any tips on fishing or locations on the lake? Any help?

TIPS - Stay away from the crowd. Right now fishing in shallow water has produced for me. But with all of the ATV's and snowmobiles everywhere it causes a lot of noise and then I see the fish shut off. The other night someone on a snowmobile came within about 10 feet of my tip up going at least 80mph. I saw a headlight flying by the window and then I jumped out of the house and he was already long gone. But that's what happens when you're fishing in the metro I guess.

You know...I had the exact same thing happen to me last Sunday at Buffalo. Wonder if it's the same guy? This guy strted by the park ramp and went all along the eastern shoreline (in front of the Courthouse) all the way to the other side of the lake. He had to be going 100 mph!!!
Is it legal to speed like that with a snowmobile? There was no way he could stop or turn fast enough to avoid a child or fishhouse (especially in the dark)...

Absolutely illegal to be traveling at such speeds on a snowmobile. The statewide speed limit is 50 mph on public lands or "waters." The speed limit is 65 mph or lower on groomed trails, and 50 mph or lower as posted on any roadway. I would say 100 mph is some fool looking to get decapitated and take someone with him (or worse yet some innocent child). I am no prude, but there have already been several snowmobiling deaths this year, and I know a number of people who have been seriously hurt messing around at night or DWI on sleds. Therefore, I for one will NEVER hesitate to call 911 on some fool like the one you guys describe, and you should too. Likely he will be running too fast all over the lake for some time, and will get caught (if you call), removing a real problem from our recreational lands. Let's all use our heads and enjoy public lands and waterways. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by LakeCenterRefugee (edited 12-19-2003).]

Was out on Buffalo today into this evening. 17 feet of water. 1 cigar walleye. Fish would come up off the bottom, look, and go right back down. Frustrating. Couple of decent hits. But not much to show for it. The water seems really murky this year. 8-10 inches of ice. Pretty dead out there. I heard the the group of houses closer into shore in front of the courthouse were getting some decent crappie action.

first and for most ,, the lake is for everyones use. i do agree with what you are all saying and some fool buzzing the fisher folks .. i am willing to bet he is just as rude of his sled also and needs to learn some respect . i will not say that i havent went out for a hard ,fast,common sensed ride before ,, in fact do it fairly regularly. few key things to remeber guys , when lake riding .know the area your riding in . you happen to hit a bad section of ice or water ,,,HIT The Throttle Hard !!! might just save your butt for not knowing where you are riding . Ride near fish houses? Hmmn lets see here ,, just how smart are we ??? **** those ice chucks from spearing boys can do some damage !! Point of this is to Know Where You Are Riding !!! Have Daughter who hit a guy wire riding a trail she didnt Know .. we all have heard those stories ..
To Close Hey Lake Center ,, I did buzz parts of the lake wed myself , needed to find out where i could get to fish and where i couldnt , and yes i was pushing 90 in some spots ,, heheh ,, atv went thru under old power line to bungalow this past week ..

Was out a few hours before the Viks games today. Had two nice pikes in 20 feet of water. One at 25 inches one at 30 inches. Pesrfect for pickling. I was using a jimmyrig I picked up at the Ice Fishing show this year. They are great when using a tip up. There seem to be three to four large groups out on the lake. I would try marking fish 50 yards away from any large groups.

Hey Yeti...

Those fish coming off the bottom were small perch (3"-5")...we had the same thing happening to us.
There are walleyes in there, and lots of them too. We catch them, but only when it's quiet. That lake is getting too much activity, (i.e; snowmobiles, ATV's, houses getting towed out, etc.). We've noticed when it gets quiet, is when we'll catch walleyes. Otherwise, they're just burying themselves in the weeds for comfort, peace and quiet and crappies are gonna be your only alternative...which is not a bad alternative!

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-22-2003).]

Hey guys,

Just a heads up, 10 full size trucks all parked next to one and other went through on sunday. Was out on saturday and there was 8 to 10 inches of good ice. Can you say dumb. I am not sure if I will be going back anytime soon. I really love the taste of gasoline on my crappies!

Saw the report on channel 5 today. A red suburban being pulled out of the lake. Gee, lets all park next to each other!! Seriously, the weather has not been cooperating for ice, so use common sense. Good luck fishing and BE SAFE!!! Merry Christmas to all!!!

Hey guy,

Give these poor people a little credit, they didn't drive out (in deep water or where everbody was fishing, putting themselves and others in danger) they only parked on the ice and walked out. I am sure that it didnt cross there minds that there vehicals would go in. They had nice trucks (and this mistake will cost them alot) and are probably hard working people that love to fish just like the rest of us.

My 2 cents.
happy holidays

[This message has been edited by JOLLYJOKER (edited 12-22-2003).]

Hey Jollyjoker, not to be a mean person but you stated they didn't drive on the lake they only parked on the ice. To me the ice would be on the lake. All I'm saying is please be safe, the year has not been real great for ice yet. For your safety and the cost of getting vehicles pulled out just take a little caution when venturing out!!

JollyJoker:

These folks could have easily parked on shore like the rest of us do. Think of how dirty and full of chemicals the underbody and engine compartment is on these vehicles.
If I lived on the lake I would be really upset. Also I am sure it does not help the fishing when you drop 40 tons of metal through the ice. Can you say spooked for weeks.

Spooked. I have respect for fish in Buffalo. Its like people that live in Richfield, 747's flying over all day long. I'm always amazed that the lake still produces fish. One truck went in last year about the same location.

Well I was out on Buffalo today and did very little when it came to the action. I was fishing the southeast corner behind the court house and after hearing from others in the area it seems it has died off there. Anyone else having any luck other places. I have been mainly fishing for Crappies but been getting hit by Northerns every now and then.I would appreciate any kind of suggestions...Thanks

Big_umms...

Are there still a lot of people out in front of "The Courthouse"?
Seems like there's always a small community of houses there, or are they beginning to move out now?

There starting to filter out of the courthouse area. Still some houses but not as many as last week. I see most of the same houses are now moved out towards the southside over by the point..

Friend and I just came back from a morning drive (trying to find a place to fish!)...houses getting pulled off Buffalo and surrounding lakes...people noticing their holes getting wider and wider and getting uncomfortable with the water surrounding their houses. Mostly afraid of them re-freezing into the ice I suppose...
We saw a Chevy Suburban on the ice (in front of the courthouse!) and a couple other vehicles out on the western side of the lake, but most people seem to have vacated...lots of wind & water! frown.gif

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-27-2003).]

The lake was a mess today. 3 inches of slush and water. Wind was swirling water around the holes, looks just like conditions of last year when holes opened up and joined. Many houses were pulled off the lake.

Ice being plenty thick and all, will it just take the water/slush to refreeze in order for the conditions to correct themselves for the permanent shacks? Could be better by New Years?

Thanks everyone for the posts. I finally got out there this weekend a couple of times. I did very well, each time got a limit of crappies, in only a couple of hours.

I had a good crappie afternoon bites until Dec 26th straight out south of Cty 35 and Cty 12 intersection. Then hadda pull the house off Sat the 27th when the ice turned into a swimming hole in a wind tunnel.

Went back out yesterday, same spot, afternoon bite - talk about noisy. No wonder I didn't catch anything. I like this spot because it's a moderate producer and fairly quiet - usually. Can't wait until the vacationers are gone, maybe after this weekend?

This lake is getting way too popular in winter. I like to drop a house on it because I can walk to it from home, but next year I may have to build/buy another house to take with when Buffalo is crowded.

By the way, the ice was 11 inches in most spots last evening, counting the 3 inches of surface refreeze after the thaw.

[This message has been edited by federline (edited 01-04-2004).]

Man! I went to Buffalo last Friday...what a ZOO!
We had set up just outside of "The Courthouse" area...what a joke! There were probably 50 houses on that spot and people driving their cars too fast. Still too much commotion. I was thinking it would be quieter...maybe people at work Friday, but no such luck. Oh well... frown.gif

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-04-2004).]

Fear not fellow fishermen of Buffalo. I do believe most kids go back to school tommorrow. Things should quiet down out there...

Three of us went out on Buffalo for the evening bite. We were set up on the steep structure to the southwest of the sandbar. Gobs of increadibly stuck up crappies shopping our bait suspended about 7 feet off the floor. (Thanks for bringing the flasher, Brad!) I was skunked and the udder guys pulled up three. What was caught was on crappie minnows on plain hooks or glow jigs. They must have been fed real well this weekend.

Oh BTW, ice is 15"-17" thick in most spots - the cold did it good. Stay away from the north shore west of the courthouse, the cold snap buckled the ice, sunk it a bit, and water is over top. I usually walk from my house out onto the lake this way, and got a couple wet legs Friday night. Honest, it looked solid! shocked.gif

[This message has been edited by federline (edited 01-12-2004).]

Can anybody tell me where to fish any what times the fish start bitting because I am thinking about going out on saturday to try for some walleyes.

Thanks
Z-boy

Thumbs down! frown.gif Out over the hole at 30' tonight with ackotz and dewoutdoor, marked solid fish between 28'and 17'. Just stacked in there. But the bite was even lighter than last weekend.

Guys - maybe next time it'll be better? Whats happening out there? Whats making these fish so tired? confused.gif (heh, maybe I'm the tired bastard, eh?) As was said tonight, now it'd be nice to have a camera to see what they are doing.

Anyone?

At least a camera would have made the time out on the ice a little less painful!
Only thing "dewoutdoor" (Duane) and I could think of that would shut the fish off like that (besides the commotion!) was this cold front that's moving in...I mean, to see stacks of fish on the Vex with no takers for 4 hours is truly amazing! Maybe the crappies are on that Low Carb Diet my wife just started!!

------------------
"Don't worry, I'll pick up your trash for ya!"

federline, mot much happening by the court house this weekend. I was marking fishing on the bottom 3 feet in 25 feet of water but nothing aggressive on the bite. Crappie bite was on Saturday about 5:15-5:30PM and Sunday was very slow with a few pike. Does anyone know where the Buffalo Jaycees tourny is this year?