• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Ice

Looking to get out this weekend. Anyone kwow anything about the ice on Buffalo.

The portables are out, how far I don't know. My fishing bud is remodeling the Wright Co. court hose across the street from the lake. and he called me last night.metro

just wondering if anybody went out on the other side by the golf course and how thick the ice was .

Where abouts were you fishing? I was thinking about heading out early Saturday moring in front of the courthouse. Are they still pumping water into the lake in front of the coarthouse? Early ice can be tricky enough let alone doing it in the dark. just wondering if it's safe to make it out there?

Thanks in advance

Bucknaked: I was in front of the courthouse. I am not sure about the pumping. It is not open like last year though. I am sure there will be plenty of people out there on Saturday morning. With this new snow on this ice, there will be tracks to follow. Good luck. Muzzleloader or fishing tonight???

Hey Metro1,

Andy here...did you get my "thank you" note? Thank you so much for the gift...baby's first Rapala...got love it!!

Gonna fish this weekend? I'm charging my Vexilar batteries "as we speak", in anticipation...besides, the freezer is "fishless like Seattle"... grin.gif
--AK

Thanks for the info guys. I made it out Sat. night and I found about 4.5 inches of ice. We got a few crappys, not much to speak of, but still nice to be on hard water again.

I would say the crappies were 9 or so inches long give or take a little.

Went out last night after the Vikes. Fishing was slow but had 5" of ice. About 50 houses out when we got there.

Got out last night for about a hour and a half, pretty slow. One walleye 21 inches and one perch. 16 feet of water,both on a angel eye.

Are people catching more walleyes on the south side of the lake right around where the small creek enters the lake, or does it matter right now. How thick is the ice

I dont know where they are biting the best,I was on the south end close to where you mentioned.ice was about 5 inches when i was out.

I was out last weekend and saw a few fourwheelers out there. I plan on hitting it on Sat. morning and was wondering if the lke is pretty much safe for atv travel now? Also if any one could share how they have been doing out there would be great.

Thanks Slab

I was out last weekend towards the north end. A few small walleyes Sat. morning, one about 3 lbs Sun. morning with a bonus pike. Nothing in the evening. I believe there gets to be too much pressure during the day, knocks the walleyes down. I like Buffalo, but first nice is about it for me. Looking for other spots with less pressure now.

I was wondering how the fishing on Buffalo is during the night. I am thinking about going out at around 9 and fishing to 1 or 2 in the morning. If anyone has had any luck in the late night and would like to share i would sure listen. Also this weekend the crappies were on fire for me. Limit of 11-12" crappies. The size seems a lot better than last year.

Thanks
Slab

My brother in law used to spend the night in his house alot usually not fast and furios but put in some time and you will catch some.he has a couple of 9 pounders on the wall from his late night outings.

I was out there last night with one other buddy and we caught 16 nice craps and 3 very nice walleyes. 17 1/2, 18 1/2, and 19 inches.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.