• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Bass report

It's been a-while since I have fished Clearwater lake on a Saturday....hmmm...I think I will go back to fishing it during the week. The place was a zoo!!

Anyway, Saturday was a beautiful day and I just couldn't resist the temptation of chasing bass on a busy lake. I fished the west and east half of the lake picking up a few fish on every spot. For me, it was deep weedlines (15') that put the biggest fish in the boat. The biggest bass of the day was 19.5" with numbers of 12" to 16" fish and oh yeah, rock bass galore. I pitched jigs, spinnerbaits and rattle traps and the plastics won for quality and quantity.

Even with the heavy boat traffic it was well worth the trip. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes

A jighead and something called a "super do". It has a thin body with a flat wide tail and it cruises through the weeds. Too often curly tail type plastics wrap around the weeds and foul-up and in this case I was fishing some thick stuff.

If interested, you can see what a super do is at: www.catch-n.com

Hope this helps. Nav

By plastics are you talking jigs and tails or tube jigss or sluggo like rigs, or carolina rigs?

Nice report Nav. Do you fish any tourneys? I see that Extream bass is putting one on in August out on Clearwater... Interested?

If you think Clearwater is a zoo on the weekends, try one of these metro lakes sometime tongue.gif I've been doing more fishing in and around the metro with the LETS deal and it is just plain crazy on the nice weekends...

I still enter a tourny from time-to-time (mostly bass events with an occassional walleye tourny). Are you a member of "extream Bass"? Looks like something that would be fun... smile.gif Nav

I haven't fished any of the extream tournaments, but was thinking about that one.. Let me know if your interested - looks like it is on a Friday, Aug.15th...

fishnAddict,
Send me a PM at [email protected] and let's see if we can put something together for that tourny. smile.gif Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes

Just curious which basin is better for bass?
West(upper) basin or East(lower) basin.
I made it out there for the first time about a month ago, and I soon realized it is a lake to be reckoned with.(In other words, I liked it)
I plan on hitting it Sunday afternoon hopefully, and I will post the data.
Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Time to move this topic back to the top! Fished the East Basin Friday night and Saturdy. Had best luck trolling crankbaits. Caught one 2.5lb walleye and a 3+ lb northern. Oh yeah....rock bass too. Casting the 6-12 foot weed beds was not productive (rubber baits Texas rigged). Tried deep and tried shallow for largemouth bass, but no luck. Where have they gone in this hot weather. Suppose I better start fishing the docks. Have a friend coming from out of state for a fishing weekend, and would like to tie him into some nice bass. Any thoughts. Thanks!

I was out last Thursday. Found one pocket with a few bass on a steep drop, right on the weed edge. I got them on a Fat A in crawdad pattern. Cast into the edge of the weeds, and as soon as I hung up, and ripped it out, the fish hit. I had a couple other hits as well. My boatmate was jigging with a sucker minnow, and he was picking up some decent pike as well, right at the bottom of the break. Right at dusk, we went shallow, and we got 2 bass in a few minutes. Very tough otherwise through the evening.

The bass have been a bit tough on clearwater the past couple days. Navigator and I have been doing a little prefishing and have had to work for fish during mid-day at least.

The pike, gills, and rock bass are cooperating nicely though... tongue.gif

Bullrushes. Slugos, Worms, Spinnerbaits. windy side. Let the big ones go!

when i have had the chances to get on the water i fish for wallys . past times on clearwater for me i have got more bass than anything else . no real nice ones biggest about 3 lbs i guess . i would try some of the under water bars . i do plan to give it a try this weekend casting plugs and jigs . i do feel that on a few of the bars i am hitting any how it seems that top water baits would be killer from the activy i have seen on them . try the bars that dont seem to be being hit by other fisherman. any of you that fish clearwater know there is a of bars/ humps in open water areas .. watch your finders as you are cruising the lake for them ...

Lake Center ... i think we needto hook up some time and trade info on the lake ,, look for a 14er faded white with a black stripe and 40 mariner on the back .

• 2 weeks later...

Time to move this topic back up. Has anyone had any luck with large pike or muskie on clearwater this summer? We have caught some pike in the 4lb range, but that's it. I know there are muskie in sugar, but does anyone think it is worthwhile to try for larger pike on clearwater this summer?

PS: Rock. FYI, I will be out on clearwater this weekend and almost all of next week. If you are out, our house is on the East basin, North side, but we generally fish the humps and weedbeds on the South side of the East basin. Look for a green ranger boat (Fisherman) with 175hp Johnson. One of us in the boat will have a beard (me) and one will have no hair (my Dad (just retired)). I will keep an eye out for you, but if you see us, just come up and yell "Refugee?" and I will know who you are. Regards.

PPS: Everyone. In the last two weeks we have had good luck at sunset, trolling raps, and have caught some very nice walleye.

[This message has been edited by LakeCenterRefugee (edited 08-13-2003).]

I think Clearwater is a good bet for big pike. I had one up to the boat last weekend that was over 10 while bass fishing. 10 lbs. is the biggest we have caught out there, but we've seen some bigger.

• 1 month later...

Time to move this back to the top. I am thinking about spending Sunday and Monday fishing Clearwater. I have not been out since last weekend. What's biting? Where are they biting? What are they hitting on? Is anyone planning on being out on the water. Thanks!