• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater or Buffalo

Zman, without giving up your trade secrets, what time of day, depth, presentation were you using. We has also done well on Buffalo, but nothing like you just experienced. We do like to CPR pike so any hints on the Buffalo Lake Pike would be great.
Please keep practicing CPR.

We were out on Clearwater last Wednesday, from 6am to 2pm. The bite was real slow. We managed two eyes for the entire day.

This is very atypical for this time of year. It was my worst outing on this lake...ever.

I would imagine that it has to start picking up here soon. If I was you, I would stick to whats working on Buffalo for the time being. It sounds pretty good for that lake.

Murdock,
It was a south wind three days in a row that weekend and we just fished the wind blown side that day. It may have been a one time thing but they mainly hit a bright colored jig and a fathead. All of the big ones, however hit trolling raps in the same area. Like I said, the northerns were nuts that day. We let all of them go (most about 2 pounds).
I Went out on memorial day (for an hour and a half) as well. The weed growth really sprung up in a weeks time. Didn't have a bite and just saw northerns caught. (few and far between though) I think there needs to be a good 10-15 wind to turn them on again. (Like today!)
I'll be out there soon!
Good luck!

Anybody have any word on Buffalo or Clearwater for walleyes. My brother and I did awesome last sunday (5/18) on Buffalo. (over our limit, of course we only kept our limit but it was fun, (one 7lb., 4lb. and 3.lb and the rest were anywhere from 14-19 inches) the only boat in the area and the first time fishing on Buffalo, I will definitely try that lake again) As many northerns and bass as you could catch too. It was crazy. Best fishing in a long time. Even got one nice crappie too. (3/4 lb.)
Anyone doing good on Clearwater?

Heard the smae from a few other...
Think I will try Clearwater this weekend. Should pick up with the warm weather all week. Anyone been out this past week?
z

z-man,
I can't keep up with you! which is it, Clearwater or Gull this weekend?

Out on Buffalo Saturday morning. It was cold. Fishing slow again. DNR guy out there asking everybody questions about their fishing habits, new slots limits possibilities for Buffalo lake, how many caught today, etc.

TeeDee, fish or get off the pot.

Zmans, hope you went to Gull.

Was out on sunday 1 keeper between 2 of us.
(caught a 19 inch largemouth which helped the day out) fished by the church and trolled the islands, real slow, my friend lost what had to be a monster by the boat, because he hadn't fished in a couple years and didn't loosen the drag after a slow day that would have been nice to bring in

What's up with the salad on Buffalo? I leave for a week, come back, and it's the Sargasso Sea out there!! A guy at the launch said that while the predictable cover is nice, it's de-oxygenating the water. How do plants DE-oxygenate water?

Oh, didn't fish, just tested out a motor and weed-whacked some lake.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Was out on Buffalo again last night. Can not seem to find them.

The weeds in Buffalo lake grow until July 4th, when they die and fall to the bottom of the lake. The weed island you see out there will be gone by the first week in July.

Weeds burn alot more oxygen when they are dead and decaying then alive.

I have never heard concerns about oxygen levels in the summer time. Winter time is a different story. Let me know your thoughts.

City Farmer,
Doesn't sound like your early season fishing is going so well. I suggest switching to Lindy-rigs and fish Pulaski.
TD

CityFarmer...

Why, those weeds aren't very patriotic if they choose to die on July 4th...must be some kind of Al Qaeda suicide weeds...should we be on some sort of alert? Is there any chance the weeds may attack my boat on July 3rd, or should I wait until July 5th?

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 06-03-2003).]

TeeDee, I can Lindy with the best of them. We have to fish someday. What do you know about Pulaski? Have you been keeping secrets from the rest of us.

No more weed talk. I think some of you are drying it out for some reason.

City Farmer,
I'm not so sure I want your bad luck contaminating my boat! However, I have had better luck on Pulaski this year. {sunken island to the East} Right now I have my mind set on a week's worth of Gull Lake.
Good luck!
TD

You should do well on Gull. Where you staying? Plenty of walleyes to be caught, just need to sort throught the small ones. Try upper gull for crappies too. They are just about done spawning though (they were very dark colored last weekend)
My advice would be work the 12-15 ft weedlines (even in the middle of the day) you may be surprised even on a hot calm day. Leeches and silver shiners. Who knows though, deeper is probably better? It's always a mystery to me on Gull.

Z-man,
Thanks for the info. on Gull. {I've read your other updates as well}
WE have a time-share at Causeway. {in between Gull & Upper Gull}Really enjoy this week every year as the fishing is wonderful. I've had a lot of luck at the tip of Grassy point in about 11 to 14 ft. {lindy's & crawlers} The panfish are abundant in each of the 5 or 6 lakes we can get to. {the kids like cruising around through the waterways's}
Take care,
TD
TD

I was able to catch a few on Pulaski this past weekend and also avoided the zoo out on Buffalo. I've caught most of my fish this year on a Northland Gum Drop floating jig. I've used both the glow and non-glow versions and have come to the conclusion the glow jigs are not a new marketing idea--- seems to make a difference. The fish I've caught on Pulaski have been a lite bite.