• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sylvia / Twin

Was invited to fish Sylvia / Twin this next weekend 5/3 and 5/4 for crappies. Any advice on where to look, what conditions have been like, are there any crappies in this lake? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....Tight Lines!

Here are my spots. I recommend you run through an area fast with the trolling motor trying to see them and then go back to where they were. Use the clear water to your advantage.

The Access bay of Twin
The small Far NE bay of Twin (Turtle Bay)
The little bay in the SW corner of the big SE bay of Twin.
The small boat channel behind the point on the E shore of Twin leading into the Big NE Bay on twin.
Look around along all shorelines in the channel.

I've never found Crappies consistantly in Sylvia.

Thanks for all the help. It is sincerely appreciated. Tight Lines!

I was out on twin/sylvia on sat. morning and did terrible. I had a fresh report from the day before from a good source and he was out on fri. and caught lots of crappies (nice ones) There were lots of boats out there and no one seemed to be catching any in the channel or bays on sat. Can anyone tell me if there is a access on sylvia? I have heard that there is a so called access on the south west side..

Went out Saturday. Not much luck with crappies. Four is all for the entire day. However, accidently caught (and released..of course) 2 big northerns and lots of 1lb. bass. The bass were hitting on everything...stealing bait on everything we threw shallow. Some nice sunnies too. Lots of fun on a beautiful day.

The fish in these lakes are gross, but still fun to catch. I have fished up there for a couple of years now and everytime I take a couple home to eat I find all kinds of little white worms in the fillets. They just look like little dots in the meat but if you pop them out with your knife and look at them you can see the little white suckers squirmin around. I dont know, maybe it is just me but the thought of eating fish that have worms is pretty gross. The panfish are the ones that have it the worst, especially the sunfish. I have seen a couple that have over a hundred worms in each filet.

The sunfish bite has been spectacular when the sun shines. They are moving into some steeper structure as the temperature warms. Caught a nice mess yesterday with the reduction in limits coming. Been hit and miss with the crappies. It is true that there are some snail larvae in some fish,many people are throwin back which is good for me! They should of reduced the walleye limit too frown.gif

We saw some worms in the crappie filets we kept. Cook'em good!

Hit the water in search of panfish today and did well. The fish are starting to move out of the shallows with the water warming nicely. Water clarity is wonderfull even with the rain lately. I think the new septic systems in those new starter castles are going a long way for better water. I don't like them building along a swampy area with bullrushes and then the loads of sand and boulders somehow appear with the weedrollers.
frown.gif

Scubaman, have you actually seen a weedroller on Sylvia? I would like to see what one looks like and what kind of damage they do. Where about did you see it?

------------------
I fish, therefore I am.

Went tossing rapala's out there last night for Eye's but couldn't keep the **** bass off the hook! Sure wish they would bite like that during bass season!! Couple small hammerhandles and that is it.

There was some weedrolling going on in the west side of the NE bay of Twin lake. The DNR likes to keep an eye on things from the air, those weedrollers are easy to spot. frown.gif Got into some northerns yesterday trooling along,and yes the bass wont stay off the hook. Good Luck to all! grin.gif

"There was some weedrolling going on in the west side of the NE bay of Twin lake." If my family still owned a cabin on this lake, I think this would be about all I could put up with. I bet I know exactly where this was taking place. In the last few years we had a cabin there I slowly saw that lake being wrecked through chemical weed eradication and unwise development. The water clarity diminished significantly and the weeds started to change. I worry about the future of that great bass lake.

There is some massive business with rock and gravel being put along and in the lake in weedy locations. Bass and panfishing will no doubt be in decline. This winter was the most rock and gravel I've seen brought across the ice and deposited on shore. If someone has not been on the lake in a few years, they would be shocked:eek

One thing is sure, E.milfoil will not stay out of these lakes forever and once it does arrive, it will be as good as it ever was for bass, it will just fish different. People can get rid of the rice, but E.Milfoil only gets worse by trying to eradicate it.