• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is anyone fishing Ida or Eagle?

...or any other lakes around the Monticello area? I just moved here, last August, and have been so busy moving in and finishing my basement that I haven't got out much and when I do get out, I go to Mille Lacs (see below).

My bro-in-law lives in Hanover, so he introduced me to the lakes in the Buffalo, Monticello and Annandale areas. I've fished Buffalo, Pulaski, Beebe, Charlotte, Clearwater, Maple, Sugar, Cedar, Eagle and Ida in the past, (in open water mostly)...how are these waters for ice fishing?
I've read the posts for Buffalo Lake, but haven't seen reports for these other lakes...

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kotzandy/index.html

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-25-2003).]

Andy welcome to Monticello. I live here also and there are 57 lakes and 4 rivers with in 10 miles of my house. Ida is a fun lake for bass in the summer and can be quite challenging on the winter,but they are some small fish now. We need to catch the small northern and keep the punks to improve the over all fishing in Ida. Eagle was also a fun lake 2 years ago but I'm convinced that a guy I know and his dad and uncle (both retired) fished it everyday and helped wipe that lake out too. I'll tell a few friend where the walleyes are locally but only two will I tell where the crappies are. The walleyes you have to fish to catch but the crappies you can sit and pound on , way to easy. I would give Buffalo a try ,its a fun lake and the eyes grew up from last year.13" 14" to 18" 19".I fish in the N.E. corner in about 17' . good luck fishing and here is a DNR web page with some local info .Metro
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/montrose/index.html

[This message has been edited by metro 1 (edited 01-25-2003).]

Thanks for the info...I'm always on the DNR Lakefinder link, checking out fish data. Problem with the data is that most of it can be 7-10 yrs. old sometimes!
Depending on how I feel, I might try the little bay in Pulaski tomorrow, I've always caught crappies in there in open water. My back's been killing me. Between driving semi's and sheetrocking my basement, the ol' back is a bit stiff...we should hook up sometime. Are you going out tomorrow?

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-25-2003).]

I was out on Buffalo last night and got 1 crappie early so in the pail that went. My fishing bud got one later and threw it back, that was it for the night. I sure wish I knew that I was only going to get one. It would be nice to get out sometime .I'm not sure about fishing today the wife works today and my fishing partner is a football fan , maybe the kids will go out for a spell. I want to try Sugar for some walleyes off of bell point. I'll email you my phone # on your fishing page and give me a call and we will work something out.metro

Hey Rippin:

Where was that "ribboned off" area? Were people driving on the lake and was that near the sunken island or are you unfamiliar with that lake?

What was the reason everyone went to Eagle last week? What was the "hot species". I've heard (and seen on the DNR surveys) that Eagle holds good numbers of walleyes, but that lake has so much weedline, that it's hard to get the presentation in their faces! Plus there's tons of little sunnies and perch for them to eat. I've always had good luck with panfish there...but I've got a "secret spot" (out in the middle! wink.gif)--AK

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-27-2003).]

Don't waste your time on eagle! It was decent last week and word spread quick. There are alot of people out there and it died of quick. Everyone out there thinks they need to be on top of someone else to fish not much fun. Be careful if you go though there is a big area that is ribboned off just past the group of houses not sure why. I heard buffalo has picked up again. A friend was out yesterday 19 crappies (9 keepers) 4 eyes realeased all 24" biggest.

AK thats exactly where it was. Everyone is driving out to where the house's are which is not to far from there. I think i know what spot you are talking about. I have fished the lk 15x's this winter no eye's though. Same from everyone else i talked to before the crowds came. Need to move. SMALL crappies are what were going. Shoot me an e mail maybe we can wet a line or swap fish stories. [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone fishing Eagle lately? Almost went there today, but ended up at Constance. Just curious...