• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Reports

Any reports on Clearwater? I'm thinking about going out this Saturday for walleyes or crappies.

Any areas of thin ice or open water?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LakeCenterRefugee

• setterguy

• hydro

• Fathead

Always be careful for thin ice on Clearwater Lake!

I was out this past weekend and seemed the crappie bite was best in the morning between 9 and noon. Good luck!

My Wife and Kids will be gone this weekend I was thinking of trying my luck on the west end with all the islands any suggestions?

------------------
Commom sense isn't

Was out on Clearwater yesterday, got 9 walleyes, 15" being the biggest. Was north of camp friendship in about 30 feet.

Nice to hear someone is catching eyes! I am looking to fish the east basin this weekend. Any thoughts where I might look? What they are biting on? How is the ice? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by LakeCenterRefugee (edited 12-27-2002).]

Setterguy,

Welcome to the board! By the location you were fishing I'm guessing you might live on the lake. I am very familiar with the area by the camp and know a few good spots for various species of fish on the north shore of that bay. Where did you access the lake?

Hydro

Hi Guys,

I noticed the posts for camp friendship. I sure would like to know how to get out there without having to walk miles and miles. (I do not have a sled or 4 wheeler).

This past fall, I really smoked the eyes in this area. Has anyone ever contacted CF and asked them whether it is possible to park there and walk out from their property?

If anyone is heading out of CF, one of the best spots (in my opinion), is to follow the break (12 to 30 fairly sharp break) in front of CF, westward. It will curve back south again. Everytime I went out from the south curvature, I found fish there. The bonus was that the fish were very nice sized as well.

Who knows if they are still holding there or not, but this past fall it was always good for 6 to 12 a trip.

Fathead,

That is a good area, all along the bar to the south. As for the camp, I doubt they will let you access through their property but it never hurts to ask. You could also ask some of the property owners along that shore.

Last year I had permission to access nearer to the point and will probably go out from there again this year. There's a lot of good area on that side of the lake but it's tough to get to.

No hydro, I don't live on the lake but do have permission from someone on that side. We have been fishing that side of the lake for about 3-4 years now, with pretty steady success. We are heading out there tonight, i'll let you guys know how we do.

Fished Clearwater Saturday morning and evening not far off the western access. From 8 - 11:30 AM caught four eyes, two smaller ones, and two more @ 17.5 and 18.5 inches. Tried the same area after 4:00 with no luck.

Hey Setterguy,

Are you going out in front of Camp Friendship tonight? If I get permission I plan on trying it as well. I will be in a smaller Frabill portable. Stop on over if you would like.

Fathead

Sorry fathead I didn't see your post until after we got home last night. We are probably 150 yards NW of CF. Last night was really slow, tried 30' again and got two small eyes, moved to 24' at about 6:30 and got nothing from then on. If you are ever out there I have a black Otter with the name J.Novatney on it, stop in and say hello.

Gonna try clearwater on Wed. Will keep an eye out for ya setterguy.

------------------
Ret-ro!! :)

Hi Setterguy,

Are you the same J. Novatney that fishes the MTT circuit? If so, I think we have met before. I think that I will be out on Clearwater on Saturday with a couple of friends. We may travel over to CF and try some eyes, or we may just fish on the west end and see if we can locate some crappies.

If I see you out there, I will stop by and say hello.

I will be out just north of CF this evening, wearing a red hat and in an old Trophy house. If anyone else makes it out stop by and say hi.

Hydro

Fathead- You are thinking of someone else, I think. I do fish Muskie tournaments, but thats it. No matter, if you see the otter out there, stop in say hi and share a cold one. Good Luck.

Fished the eastern half of the lake Saturday night and picked up 4 walleyes that were all between 14"-15". Had quite
a bit of activity right at sunset and once it got dark didn't mark another fish on the vex. Maybe should have had some holes drilled right up on the top edge of the weed flat for the after dark bite if there is such a thing on Clearwater.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I did fairly well on the east basin near the narrows. Caught 3 on monday, 3 on wednesday, and only one on saterday evening. They start biting around 4:30pm.

Tried in front of the western access in about 45 feet of water last night. Found some suspended crappies, but only one taker. Caught a walleye in the same spot at 9:00.

I'm going to be home this weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any reports- I haven't been out there for 2 weeks.

Heading out Tuesday Night around 6:00 P.M. is anyone been doing any good after dark crappies or Walleyes? Last year did pretty well at night time but have not been out there much this year.Thanks.

My wife used to work at camp friendship so I am very failiar with the area you are fishing right in front of it. I have only fished it in the summer and was wondering if this spot is also good at early ice and how deep do you fish it??

I think that we have been fishing west of camp friendship. There is one big bar that comes out about 300 yards from shore, on the side of it it gets down to about 25 feet. We have had some success this year. There hasn't been a whole lot of size but the numbers are there. I am buddies with someone who has an access to the lake, thats why I am blurry on the exact spot. I will be out there tonight with a black otter, my buddy has a frabill. stop in and say hi.

Were out just off the sandbar last night, caught 9 walleyes, kept 4, lost another 4 or 5. Bite was from about 4:30-6:00. We were in 28ft. After 6 we tried to move in shallower, 16 then 12 then 8...nothing. I don't know were they go, maybe deeper. Good luck out there.

Fairly new to fishing Clearwater. Can anyone tell me exactly where Camp Friendship is? What roads are nearby? Thanks.

I can try and get you close...We take 94 west to Co Rd 24 and go South until we the little bait shop, there we go right and that leads you to Camp Friendship. There is no access on this side of the lake, we know a home owner on that side of the lake. I don't know the lake very well either, I just know how I get there. Hope that helps.

Fished Clearwater on Saturday. Caught a mess of nice gills in 7 feet of water. Was a fun day, but cold out.