• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

buffalo ice

wmn luv me walleye fearme

I heard from a co-worker that there was a lot of people on the ice already. Was thinking about trying it on saturday and wondering if anyone can verify it before i head out there on saturday?

never mind the post , I didn't notice the one below it on buffalo, maybe my co-worker is full of crap?

Quit a few protables on it tonight. Saw one guy unloading a permanent style on it also.

KJ

Can anyone tell me the general size of panfish you might expect out of Buffalo Lake? I just moved to Buffalo last spring, and love to ice fish. I caught some decent gills and crappies over the summer. Is there a nighttime crappie bite there? Where is the best local lake for nighttime crappie fishing? Any info is appreciated.

Hello Icemandu,

Buffalo has some nice sized crappies in it. Every year, during the winter, a nice crappie bite usually takes place. The past few years we caught many crappies between 8-11" in size. I would not say this lake is the best bet for larger crappies in comparison, to lets say a Clearwater, but when the bite is on, you definetely can get numbers.

Hey fathead
I've only fished buffalo for walleyes and usually always in relation to the 2 sunken islands. Do the crappies relate to the islands as well? I'll be out there on saturday for some eyes, but if its a decent crappie lake maybe i'd give that a try as well later in the year

Buffalo has good night fishing (all night) for both walleyes and crappies. Right now a good place to try is in front of the courthouse, just off the bottom. you will find both walleyes and crappies at the same depth Good for pike during the day as well). Out between the sunken islands is also good.

I was out Friday in front of the courthouse and the walleye bite was decent- we caught a few 2-3 lbs. and broke the line on an even larger fish. Sunday night was a different story. I could see the fish on the vex just come up and stare but not bite. The dumba** snowmobilers didn't help it out either. THe ice is just starting to get thick enough and these guys are already blasting bye. Had one come within 10 ft of the Fish trap going probably 50mph. The ice was cracking all around. Anyway, I'll be back out Friday.

we fished there on Sun from 1 to 5 and had pretty decent luck with a large pike and a couple of walleyes and one very nice crappie. The pike inhaled the bait so bad we had to keep it, but from what I saw other people catch the pike population is ok. Somebody actually said they were "disappointed" we kept it, before knowing why. I got a little peturbed by that. I mean if I wanted to catch fish and just let them die and waste, I would be fishing Mille Lacs. I never like to take a large fish out of the lake, but I see it as worse to kill a nice fish and waste it.

I was out on Buffalo from 3:00 to about 6:15 PM yesterday, Thursday. Worked from 22 to 12 feet - no bites. Just out from court house. Using fatheads, or pieces of fatheads, on various hook types. Ice was decent with about 5-6 inches. Quite a few others fishing but certainly not too busy.

Last Friday was pretty slow. Fished a different section of the lake in about 23-24 ft of water. Didn't mark too many fish, only caught one keeper walleye. Anybody hear of a crappie bite going? Hopefully they will start to get going soon.

I was out there this weekend we caught about 30-35 walleyes with most of them on Friday night. We kept 9 with none under 16 with biggest being 17.5. Caught and released a 34 inch northern. Sunday morning did pick up 3 crappies in 19 feet of water. Wasnt really fishing for them just was seeing a bunch of fish on the graph that werent biting so through on a waxworm and started catching a few of them.

Good Fishin'

[This message has been edited by fisherman (edited 12-16-2002).]

Fisherman

About what depth are you finding the walleyes in? Sounds like you've gotten into some decent action. You're doing better than most people I have talked to. Are you using shiners or fatheads or what?

walleyeman,
I was only getting them on shiners, I'm not sure if they were biting on fatheads. I figure if we're cathin' them on shiners why try something else. Anyways I was set up on the south side in 16-19 foot. It was decent fishing through friday night saturday really started to slow down but still catching a few fish.

Good Fishin'

[This message has been edited by fisherman (edited 12-16-2002).]

whats the latest report from buffalo?
is there lots of standing water on the lake?
are the walleye still biting? I'm thinking of heading out there this evening.

Big Laker
Was on Buffalo last evening from 4-8. Fished on the south end west of the point. We picked up two that were around 18" and a dink. Also missed a few and had a bigger one on that got off about 5' up. I know it was a walleye and I would have to guess it was over 22" just from past experience. There was a little bit of water on the ice and where i was at there was about 7" of ice. Good Luck and be safe out there!

eyeman,
thanks for the info.
what depth are you getting the fish at? I was out last night in 18-20 feet by the east access and got nothing. I plan on trying again Saturday evening.

Was out tonight from 2:00-6:30pm. Didn't mark anything on the vex and of course didn't catch anything. Was fishing in 20ft. Probably head out tomorrow, most likely after the 1st quarter of the Vikes game and try a little bit deeper water.

Big Laker
We set up between 15-18 feet. Went out of the access on the southeast side of the lake. If you look at a map of the lake you will notice an inside corner just to the southeast of the 33 foot hole. It is quite a walk if you don't have an atv, but worth it in my opinion. As of wednesday night there weren't any perm. shacks out there, but if you get into the general area you will see a lot of old holes that have been drilled there....Good luck and let me know how you do.

Eyeman - thats kinda the same area I have been fishing. Tonight I moved a little deeper into 24ft of water. Fishing for me has still been pretty slow. The difference today is that I marked quite a bit of fish. I have been using crappie minnows and and I'm thinking waxworms are the ticket right now. Gotta watch out in this area though - On the south end of that 30ft. hole is a patch of open water next to an ice heave. North of there is a fish house that is half way under.

Anyway I'll be back out tomorrow night and I'm thinking I might have this bite figured out.

Sunday night was the best night so far on the ice. I was out there from 2:00-7:00 and the bite started from 4:15-7:00. I'm sure I could have caught some crappies later than 7:00 but my latern was going out. We caught a few walleyes and about a dozen crappies. The biggest being a 13.5" White Crappie.

Heading out this afternoon and I'll try and repeat my success.

Was out there on saturday, pretty rough go of it. Walked all over the lake fished off the 33 foot dip (near the permanent that was halfway sunk), and then off the islands in about 18-20 feet , one walleye caught, marking lots of fish but not many takers.
Does the bite usually stay pretty strong all year out there or does it fade after early ice?

spent last night on Buffalo out from the courthouse and caught a half dozen decent crappies and 1 pike on a tip up, tried very hard for some walleyes but no takers. I am trying the southern end today and gonna meet a buddy of mine own on medicine tomorrow, hopefully we can find some fish down there too. Best of luck everybody.

Howdy everyone! Went out to Buffalo last nite off the southside access caught 3 walleyes all 12 inches & no crappies in 18 ft of water. I marked fish but they would swim up take a look & leave. That new FL18 is expensive but worth the money. I am seeing fish I wouldnt normally see. Anyone doing anygood out from the courthouse lately? Good luck keep us informed & remember you dont have to tell everyone where you are catching em... Just us on here!

Was out in front of the court house tonight and it was slowwwww. I was in 18ft on the upslope of the trench. One decent crappie but no Walleyes. I jigged alot of holes from 4:00 to 7:00. We may be in the January slow down.

Was out the night of the 30th from 4-8 and caught 2-3lb northerns, 1 perch, 1 three-quarter lb. crappie and 1- 18 inch walleye...pretty slow going...marking a ton of fish, that just won' t bite. Was just to the SE of the 33 ft hole in 21 ft of water.
Good Luck!!