• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Fishing Reports????

Hi Goose,

I will be out at Clearwater tomorrow afternoon. My neighbor and I are planning to hit some of the back bays and sunken humps. We were there last Saturday, and did well. It looks like Saturday may be a brutal day (weatherwise) for fishing. If I remember to bring my laptop home with me tomorrow, I will try and post the where and hows of our trip.

Good luck

I don't know wether to be asking for Weather or Fishing reports for Clearwater... I am scheduled to fish it with a Diehard friend Saturday and am wondering if any one has or is planning to fish it. Would love some tips (both past and Present)expecially with this Front moving in. Where do the crappies go when the weather turns like this and How do you catch them?

Goose

There has been some action Friday -- mostly in the bays and shallows, but that may not necessarily mean crappies are not present on the bigger waters of Clearwater.

Lots of trailer rigs at both launch ramps on the upper lake at 2pm, but only a couple boats visible out toward Bungalow Island.

A couple shore fishermen I know scored on a few crappies using plain hook and minnow.

Could be D-man will have a better report, as I believe his rig was in the parking lot. At least it was a pickup with both Lund and Yamaha decals, which puts it in the ballpark.

I was out on clearwater taday from about 12:30 to 5:00 and caught 5 11 inchers and a slew of bass. The crappies are getting closer to the shallows. Right now they are in what is known as the prespawn areas. Right now they aren't exactly jumping out of the water. they seem to be real picky. All you guys that fish clearwater should watch for my truck. its the green ranger with the playboy bunny stickers. Say hi if you see me out there. I didn't so many guys on the forum fished there. I just happened to meet fathead out there today.

Bigguns3-I was out Friday a.m. It was obvious the crappies weren't shallow so I started looking for staged fish on the electronics with no success. I was focusing on the 8-12 ft. areas off of grass islands/points. No success. What was I doing wrong? I focused mainly on the east basin. North side, middle areas.

Friday was the first time i had been out to clearwater this year so I was basically out searching. First I tried the east side of bungalow and surrounding areas. I found A few suspended five feet off but i couldn't get em to bite. I tried every method I could. but the fish that I did find were on the south west side of the island. in about 12 feet opposite of the island. I think This time of year its important to keep moving until you find some fish that are biting. I just jumped around until I found some active fish, and wasted no time waiting for the fish to make up their minds.

Hello Guys,

Goose, I apologize for not getting back to you when I said I would. I had connection problems and then I have been out of town for a few days. I was out last Friday afternoon. Hi Bigguns, are you dried out yet? Ha Ha just kidding. I saw that you boated 5 11's. It definetely was a bit tougher today than the past Saturday.

My neighbor and I managed to boat 11 Crappies (and missed around 12 more), most of them were around 12" with two that pushed 13". We had to do more searching today, but still found them in shallow bay areas. Once again, the bass were more than willing to pound on your lines. We probably boated 30+ bass.

Are any of you fishing out there this weekend? Perhaps the crappie contest? I am not sure I will make it out this weekend, because of all the traffic. But then again...

FatHead...I'm located in NW Burbs, have never been to Clear Water,,,What is the best ramp to launch a large boat, I have a 1900 pro-v, takes some depth to get off trailer,,If you don't mind, a couple other questions,,,Are there good maps available for Clearwater??Where can they be found??Also is the a good bait shop nearby??..I'm very interested in learning this lake,,,Thanks for the time BFJ

BFJ

I also went to Clearwater for the first time this last weekend. Put in at the Black Hole, its a decent ramp but most important its out of the wind with that big boat. We dumped our 1775 ProV there and it was fine. There is a bait shop around the corner. After the snow had came it brought the water temp to between 39 to 42 degrees. We then found crappies in 40 feet of water and with a little bit of lock jaw but got some good size ones. Hope to get more sun to warm the water.

Hello BFJ,

I also live in the NW suburbs. I usually shoot up 94 to Clearwater/Annandale exit #24. Take #24 south and approximately a mile before you get to the eastside of the lake there is a gas station on your right. They are very friendly and sell bait as well. They typically don't have very good fishing information though. I have never purchased bait from BJ's on the westside of the lake, but have heard good things about them.

As far as boat landings that are adequate for a 1900, I usually launch at two locations depending where I will be fishing. When walleye fishing, I usually fish the eastside of the lake so I will launch at the private pay access. This is located south of the above mentioned gas station on 24.

When you reach the eastside of the lake down 24,it is the first house next to the lake. The landing is owned by an elderly couple. They charge $4 and it is very deep with a nice cement pad and dock to tie up to. Parking is limited though, get there early.

On the westside, there are a couple of landings. The one I use is next to McBrides restaurant (I think its called McBrides). This also has a dock, along with two cement pads for launching. THe depth is adequate as well. Here again, parking is limited. When the lot is full you will have to park along the road and walk to the landing.

Howdy Neighbors! I'm in Anoka/Andover and I fish Clearwater quite often. Great for all species, numbers and size.

BJ's bait shop is great, (on the west end) and there are launches just north and south of the shop. The pay launch of 24 is great, but it does have limited parking. That little gas station/bait shop on 24 is fine, but Jim's on 55 or BJ's on the West end will give you better info.

I have an Alumacraft Tourny Pro 195 and it takes some water to launch and load. I have not had any trouble at any of the Clearwater ramps. I also like Sugar, Twin/Sylvia, Pleasant and Cedar all good lakes and good ramps.

Good Luck!
Steve

FatHead, Thanks for the replie...Do you work walleyes, crappies or bass?? I prefer working walleyes...probably won't get on the lake till after opener...curious what areas and tactics are popular on clearwater?? any info would be greatly appreciated!! If you'd like to hook up for a day out let me know! you can reach me at [email protected]!! Thanks BFJ

Hi BFJ,

I usually work walleyes when in season. I have fished this lake for the last few years and have concentrated my efforts on the eastside of the lake. I haven't gotten around to fish the westside yet, simply because there is sooooo much good walleye territory on the eastern lobe.

I typically run live bait rigs (4 to 6'in length) and a fathead, 3to4" suckers or shiners. Sometime I use leeches or crawlers, but I do not have as much problems with panfish using minnows.

I work weedlines between 10 to 15' (the weedline is at 11 or 12') all year long. Search, search and search again to discover your favorite spots. Once you catch one fish there will probably be more there. Go back and fish it hard using a slightly different technique to livebait rigging. Work the spot slow and hover over the area. Hook the minnow thru the tail and let it work for you. This slight modification works great.

Remember these spots for the next time you go out. Chances are you will find them in the general area time after time. I like to work shore related sunken points all year round and midlake humps in the summer and fall/late fall.

When working these weedlines occasionally check adjacent deeper areas because they have a tendency to move to these locations during the daytimes

You guys from Mpls can save time and miles if you exit I-94 at Hasty (Cty Rd 8) and go south to Cty 39. Go west on 39 until you come to Clearwater a few hundred yards south of the pay launch ramp.

To get to the public launch, stay on 39 (it joins 24) and continue west to 135. Go north on 135, cross the bridge (you are now on Bayview in Stearns County) and the Bob's Bay launch is on the right.

I Got the boat out of dry dock, cleaned the rig, I'm ready to give Clearwater my first try!! Not every being on the lake I'm going to go Early Sunday...What would you suggest for spots to try...I don't have a decent map yet, plan to grab one at a local bait shop...I don't expect anyone to mark the fish with a marker, just looking for some idea of where to start!! Thanks BFJ

• 2 weeks later...