• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sugar lake crappies

Has anyone fished Sugar lake for crappies? where are some spots to find them? I've had a hard time finding crappies on this lake. I have heard in the past that reed island in the north bay can produce some. Also, what have you caught them on? Thanks for the help.

My family has had a cabin on Sugar Lake for many years. I have fished there my whole life but have never really fished there much for crappie. When I do I can't find them. Thanks for your help again.

Just curious, why sugar? I used to live on it and still fish it sometimes just because its still close and I know it fairly well.
I have allways found it to be slower fishing than Clearwater or even cedar. As far as spots to try--yea the sunken reed island is allways the number one option on sugar. Start out right on top of it in the shallowest spot and work your way deeper until you find them. I was thinking of trying clearwater this weekend but the weather doesnt sound like it will be good for warming up the bays and bringing em in. Might have to wait a bit for the crappies to really get going, what do you guys think??

what have you had the best luck fishing for?
when I fish sugar it seems largemouth are by far the number one fish in it.
Ive heard you can pull a few nice eyes out of it if you really work at it and know what your doing. where about is your cabin on the lake?

I have had the most luck with northern pike. Thats what I fish for most of the time. They are usually on the small side but occasionally I will get a bigger one. I've caught some bass too. Our cabin is on the east side, just north of the point(not the one where the bay is). By the big log cabin if you know where that is. D-man, where is that rock pile?

Fishingdm I know right where your talking about smile.gif

Hey D-Man where can I get one of those good lake maps that shows me that much detail on sugar? I have the basic map you buy in the bait store and it sure doesnt show any rock pile. It must be pretty deep down, I've went out from that landing a lot and it just goes from shallow water to real deep real fast with no sign of rocks?

[This message has been edited by Pete_S (edited 04-19-2002).]

It doesnt show up as actual rocks on any map. It shows up as a sunken island. You may want to contact lakemaster to see if they offer sugar. Otherwise i have seen it on the lakemap co maps. They are the plastic maps with the hole for a ring binder.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

On my lakemaps,inc map it shows a bar on the south end straight out from the access I thought that was a sand bar I have heard that from other people too. I know there is another small rock pile on the west side just outside of the other smaller bay. It's in kinda shallow water.

It will show it tops out at 20 feet or so. It looks like a finger on the map. I dont have my map anymore but i remember i saw it on a lakemap co map, not sure of the date of the map. We fished it two summers ago, and verified it with an aqua view.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

I'm assuming its the sunken island straight out from the north access?
The map I have is a lakemap co. kind and it has the sunken island on the north end on it but I've never seen any rocks in that area and have spent lots of hours working that island from one side to the other.
There is no sunken island anywhere on the south end.

[This message has been edited by Pete_S (edited 04-19-2002).]

Hey, you guys can help Sugar get better by keeping the small northerns you'll catch.

If you don't want to bake, broil, or fry them, try pickling. Pickled pike are better than any commercial pickled herring I've ever tasted, and I like pickled herring.

Sugar currently has a lop-sided biomass, with small aggressive northerns upsetting the populations -- they are voracious eaters.

• 2 weeks later...

For the guy looking for walleye on Sugar. There aren't a lot, but the ones there are very nice. I caught (and released) two 30"-ers in the saddle between the sunken islands halfway down the east side of the lake last August.

Hans