• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater alert

I still see a good half dozen vehicles out on Buffalo every day on my way home. I can't imagine the ice will be that good too much longer.

Last weekend saw a near tragedy on Clearwater. Two guys almost went in the drink -- one made it to good ice, the other was adrift on an ice floe and had to be rescued. They were both snowmobiling and got in trouble on bad ice -- made more dangerous by all the recent snow.

To rescue the guy on the ice floe in the middle of the night meant four fire fighters in dry suits had to go in the water, while back up personnel were present, as well as a rescue helicopter from St. Cloud. It all ended well, but I'd hate to think of the cost involved -- not to mention trauma for the guy stranded, and hardships for the rescuers.

Lets wait for open water. Winter has now proven long enough (most coming in March).

It always amazes me how stupid some people prove themselves to be. I see those trucks on Buffalo every day both morning and night. They are driving onto the ice around the "thin ice" signs posted at the north landing. While the ice may still be fairly strong, the only way to find out when it will fail is to drive onto it and become a statistic.

I spent many years fishing on Clearwater as well and personally saw several people drive right into open water at the point. What were they thinking? Were they thinking at all?

I agree with Clayton on this one, it's time to leave the vehicles on shore for the season.