• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clay or anyone else/ I know that Otter puts out some nice crappies in the spring but have you ever ice fished it? I have one time, i parked along the highway and walked out. I fished the first drop and didnt mark any suspended fish. I didnt want to make the trip out to deeper water so i just stayed where i was and caught 6 nice walleyes on crappie jigs and maggots.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

As you may know, there are a couple new houses on Otter -- but, access is tough. Not many good places to park if you are walking out.

My info on Otter is limited. I do know it holds some mighty nice northerns. And, like Bob's Bay, it doesn't surprise me that you caught some crappies. I was surprised that you got some walleyes -- have not heard about anyone going in (open water season) for walleyes. By water from Clearwater, the Black Pool is known for producing good crappies. Maybe someone here has more info on Otter. In the meantime, I'll ask around.

Incidentally, Otter Creek upstream (north) of Otter is a designated trout stream.

Again, access is a problem, but there are a couple young guys I know who do manage to get in and get upstream each year. They fish several of the trout streams in this area -- including a couple near Fairhaven. They're not "purists," as they use ultra-light spin gear and small spinners, often tipped with a bit of nightcrawler. Not the stuff "A River Runs Through It" was made of.
I confine my trout fishing to Lake Michigan. Also Non-Purist angling, but fun and very productive.