• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a local expert on Clearwater Lake

I'm an outdoor writer (currently secretary of Assoc of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers) owned a small resort on Clearwater from 1969 thru 1978, and have fished the lake consistently for the past 35 years. I could give you an introductory article.

It is one tough lake.

I'm looking for a local expert on Clearwater Lake to write up a short article on the lake. We'll be fishing it for the L.E.T.S. go fishing event. Maybe some history, lake characteristics, quality of fishing, etc., etc. If you could, would someone be willing to write something up and email it to me? I won't need it for about a month.
I plan on including these articles within my pre-tourney reports that I will be submitting to Rick for use in promotion. I also hope to get a few sentences from each lake report on the main article promoting the league as a whole hopefully next month sometime.
Thanx,
>"////=<
[email protected]

D-Man -- I get the notion he wants more than one look at Clearwater. Go ahead and do yours, too. I certainly do not presume to know all there is about Clearwater. If I fished it everyday for a lifetime I'd learn something new each time out. In fact, that may be the big message about that lake.

Sounds good Clay, Just figured you would have more info about the lake. I started fishing it 15 years ago. Its a great lake and offers a challange. Boy, you and i would make a great team for the tourney. Iam looking to get on a team for that event. I dont think i can commit to all the events. What was the name of your resort? Is ol'lady Guptill still alive? Remember the deputy sherrif that ran the Clearwater Landing? And cant forget about Jolly Time resort. What happened to all the resorts?

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

D-man -- I did a story for the Heart of Lakes magazine/calendar of events that is published each year for Annandale area. It answers some of the questions you raise -- Only three Annandale resorts that were present when we bought ours (1969) are still in business -- Maple Hill (Clearwater), Geardink's (Cedar) and Warner's (Sugar). These are ones that were members of the resort owners association, and there were some non-member operations that might still be going, but I don't know of any. If you are interested, I'll mail you one of the magazines and you can read what I wrote.

Do you remember Twedt's Country Store? Or Al's Bait Shop? Or Anne's Bait Shop? The prices for rooms, boats, bait, etc. would astound today's "youngsters" (a relative term at my age).

Clay/ I would like to get together for some crappies on Clearwater this year. I have a nice hole by bungalow that puts out 12 inchers pretty consistent. Would be nice to spend an evening and share info and stories about the lake. I generally only keep what ill eat for the next day.(4-5 fish) Dont like freezer stockers if you know what i mean. Let me know if your interested?

------------------

Hey guys,
Thanks for the reply. I'd love to incorporate more than one perspective. Full credit will be given to those that contribute. Hope you guys can put together a team and join us.
>"////=<

Yes,I'm interested. I live all of 5 minutes away from BJs where you probably go on the ice if you are fishing Bungalow. I don't do much panfish in the winter, but I've got enuf gear to give it a go.

One problem -- December so far is without ice, and I leave right after Jan 1 for a month. We are probably looking at Feb. Sounds like a fun opportunity -- Might even get a story for the Annandale Advocate.

I sent you an email earlier about an isolated spot for mid-size pike. I find it relaxing and fun, and it provides me with the main ingredient for pickled fish (far better than the best pickled herring).

Clay/ I have just found out last night that certain e-mails i get are going right into my deleted folder. So i didnt get your e-mail. I have missed some from other people as well. I get them now, just have to go to deleted folders first. Feb and even March are ok. Those fish are there all winter. I like that most about that spot. Yes i do go out of Bill's so we could just meet there. I love pickled pike, i have a pretty generic recipe, could you post yours either here or in the recipe forum? Thanks

------------------

D-Man -- Here's an easy one. Variations apply in regard to quantity. For example, I sometimes use my wife's gallon jug for sun tea and simply adjust accordingly.

Pickled Pike -- 2 cups northern fillets, cut into small chunks; 3/4 cup sugar; 2 tablespoons salt; 2 tablespoons pickling spice (standard grocery store brands); 1.5 cups white vinegar; 3/4 cup onion, sliced thin.
Mix sugar, salt, spice and vinegar in jar, then add fish and onions. Refrigerate (covered) for 5 to 7 days before eating.
No problem with y-bones, as they will dissolve. Put into small containers, pickled pike makes a welcome gift to friends and neighbors over the holidays.

Hi Clayton.
Reading yours and D-mans post are interesting to me. My father has been on Clearwater since 1967. I also would be interested in some of your articles on Clearwater. I would be willing to cover any expense involved or maybe you could put it in my dad's mailbox. He is located between BJ's and the Turtle Bay club. I live in the city's. I only get up to Clearwater towards the end of ice fishin as my wife and I have a place near Mille Lacs. I try to fish once a year with with the guy who introduced me to ice fishing, my Dad.
Thanks.

D-man, we fished crappies for years on clearwater til they started to decline in the eighties due to what I believe to be increased fishing pressure and not enough selective harvesting. Dad continued to fish crappies and evetuialy switched to walleyes.
He's fairly successful at walleyes although I know his first love is crappies.
If you ever get over to the Agate Bay area on Mille Lacs maybe we can hook up...
Good Luck

Scupper/ The crappies in CLearwater have been really good since the 80's. April of 1988 was the best i ever had. There are quite of few smaller fish now, but the lake still puts out fish over 11 inches. I hope the annual crappie tourney isnt having a big impact. On late ice years very few fish are entered. I see a few people throwing them back after weigh-in but allot take them home or go back out. I did fish Agate quite a bit. I have a friend who still keeps his house at Dean's. In the spring the very south tip of Agate needle puts out good numbers of slot fish on bobbers. Look for 17 feet, anchor up on the edge. Its also a great place for a house if you can get it there. If i visit my friend this summer ill post at you in the Mille Lacs forum.. Good Luck

------------------

D-man, on our only trek to Clearwater last year my son hoisted a 12" crappie out of my dads honey hole for walleyes. My dad shared a story with my son about how we used to get these with consistantly. We also iced 7 walleyes that day with as many misses.
I know my son would like to fish more crappies on clearwater but were commited pretty much to Mille Lacs where we also fish crappies with some success.
Good Luck...

BJs runs a spring crappie tournament each year that draws over 100 teams. The top 20 teams always post impressive totals. The crappie population seems healthy -- and there are plenty of big slabs.

I almost always take several big crappies each year when I troll with Shad Raps and Wally Divers. They are not afraid to smack a good sized lure.

Clearwater lake is the finer of crappie lakes closer to the cities. I have a cabin near palisade but when I am home on the weekends, I am on clearwater for the sun down crappie bite. Last year was a good with very very nice fish. 13 inchers were common. They go back in the lake..though.
I fished the very 1st of the crappie tournaments that go back in the years . It was Daves Bait and tackle then until shortly it turned to BJ's bait. On of those crappies mounted on the stringer in bj's is mine from one of their 1st tournaments. I and my partner took second but with largest crappie. It snowed heavy that day in April........
The lake sustaines lots of fish. We always fished the east end near the pay access and hit the break lines while the others fished the shallows. Now I fish the bungalow island area also. The black pool area......... I was in there with my boat for the 1st time this fall. other access's were filled. the black pool is deep. like 50 feet of water.
We got crappies two inches long from 30 feet. The lake was in turnover.
It's a good lake.

[This message has been edited by crappie todd (edited 12-16-2001).]

Hey guys, let me make a clarification about my earlier post. Wheh I refer to a "decline" I'm talking size. I know I'm going back in time but we would get consistant 9-11"ers.
I'm sure the numbers are still their just not the size. I also remember when the crappie tournaments started and I also remember the locals complaining about it. I sure don't want to get into that discussion.
Maybe we should all hook up and do a little crappie fishin?
Good Luck...

• 2 weeks later...

reading the info on the annandale lakes has really been helpful seeing as I have a cabin on an annandale area lake (Lake Francis). That recipe sounds good and I'm hopin to use it with the 4 last northern filets from october fishin. Thanx for the info hopefully I'll get out on some more annandale area lakes in the coming year.

Mr_Fish

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this board and this looks like a good place to start! I would like to volunteer what expertise that I have on Clearwater lake after over 30 years of fishing this underwater mountain range.

My family owned and operated the Narrows resort on the north shore of the southern bay and I have lots of good information on that area. It looks like a lot of the expertise on the posts here is on the upper lake which runs shallower and is much easier to access, particularly in the winter. Let's put our heads together and maybe meet up for a trip out this winter.

Ps. I was out on the north side of Bungalo island last Saturday in 25' of water and saw lots of fish.

Hello hydro.
My Dad's been on the westside of Clearwater since 67. We used to fish this side exclusively with good success. Are you still in the area?
Good Luck...

Scupper,

I'm in Buffalo now and spend a lot of time on the lakes around here. I like to get up to Clearwater once in a while but the areas that I know best are on the east bay which is tough to get onto in the winter. Have you been having luck on the west side?

• 4 weeks later...

Hydro -- Give me a call sometime and we can swap some notes. I don't know when Gull Guide needs the notes on Clearwater, but it would be good if you, D-man, myself and others could put together some ideas. You are quite right, I do know the upper lake better than the lower, altho I've taken lots of fish off what was the old country club and also just east of the narrows. I also have a honey hole off the lower lake that's fun and productive.

Incidentally, we had out resort from '69 to '78, so we operated for 10 seasons. I've been a year-round retiree resident out here since June of '98. Love it.

Hydro -- Give me a call sometime and we can swap some notes. I don't know when Gull Guide needs the notes on Clearwater, but it would be good if you, D-man, myself and others could put together some ideas. You are quite right, I do know the upper lake better than the lower, altho I've taken lots of fish off what was the old country club and also just east of the narrows. I also have a honey hole off the lower lake that's fun and productive.

Incidentally, we had out resort from '69 to '78, so we operated for 10 seasons. I've been a year-round retiree resident out here since June of '98. Love it.