• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone Walleye fishing?

Went out last weekend and caught only two nice walleyes in six hours. of course a bunch of sheephead and cats as well. anyone have any reports> or ideas? I am fishing the stretch by granite Falls.

Thanks 23

23, Welcome to the site! Are you able to get close to the dam at all?

WET NETS! :}

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

no, i have never fished there. I have always been out by the east part of granite falls. the furthest west i have been is the museum.

I was talking to a guy last week and he is getting the eyes again, up shallow in the remaining flowing creeks, he fished for 2 hours with jigs and minnow/ jig plastic with nothing and swithed to floating rapala and countdowns and started to hammer them.

J23 Welcome to the board, alot of good info and great people here. I have not been to granite for a few weeks now, But from the museum and up river to the dam is some good eye waters, If you are in a boat be careful it is shallow and rocky. good luck

Catfish1

Looks like GF might be the best place to look for walleyes now!
any place below New Ulm, you'll need to try your high/dirty water options for awhile. It was just starting to look good too.

------------------

hamrej23, Do you fish over by the pipeline? I grew up east of Granite, but fished that area quite a bit. I still try to make it down around that area a few times a year.

------------------
<*)))))))><{

How high do you guys think the river is gunna come up with the rain? i hope not as high as when it crested this spring because then my bow hunting land is underwater. the best tactics now are to find the "clearest" or should we say least muddy water and use jigs with a larger profile and more flash ( 1/4 to 3/8 ounce northland thumper jigs tipped with a minnow or Northand whistler jigs with a 3 inch twister tail or minnow style bait on it.
O great now im thinking of fishing and its only 3rd hour history. o well at least the rain will remind me that id be crazy to be fishing now anyways.

Riverrat56

Ps. anyone in the new ulm area wanna go out fishing the river this weekend? i have a boat that we can use.

What kind a raps were they using, color and size? THey were biting at points where streams input huh?

riverrat- do you think the river will be better this weekend because of the increased water levels?

As for what size / color im not positive im guessing blue/silver or chartuse/white or anything like that. probally in the 7-13 range but im not sure on that. And yes i do think the river will be better this weekend at least once the mud starts to setle to the bottom again. Also the creek mouths should be good or anywhere there is a very distinct break line. drag a jig or a bettle spin right along the edge in the morning or evening. However if the water is cloudy i have found that the after noon with sunny skies and a wind blowing up river is the best in the areas i fish, but this is because it gathers baitfish in the bend. If jigs and raps arent producing you could try a live frog on a lindy or floating spinner rig, just cast and retrive it slowly. i would go with about a 18 inch snell and 3/8 to 3/4 weight depending on the current.

Riverrat

Alright thanks. i am going to have to try int out this weekend for some good eyes, or cats.

hey hamrej23 did u get out this weekend howd u do if u did? i tried jigs and minnows and raps in a creek mouth and also frogs on whistler jigs and didnt catch a thing. Although when i was shooting my bow i missed the target and the arrow deflected off a rock over the dirt pile back stop and into the river, all i could do was watch it float away because the water drops off down to 20+ ft and there is a big swirl. but if anyone finds a black carbon arrow with orange fletching drop me a line.

Yeah i got out Monday night, and also Friday night. Was down by renville, on monday and caught just one flathead, and on friday by granite caught two walleyes, and a channel.

Hi,
My family owns a farm on the Minnesota River, east of Granite Falls about 5 miles. I'll be making a few trips back to the farm for hunting season. Wanted to know how the fishing has been, I'd like to bring my fishing equipment along when I come.

Thanks for the info.
Kyle
[email protected]

KJA

J23 and I live in Sacred Heart. I'm curious where your farm is my mothers maiden name is Hegna, does that name sound familiar? Or have you heard of Peterson Brothers or Dambrotens?

I haven't tried the river much this year but might hit it on Sat. or Sun. night.

hamrej23,

Where were you fishing by around Renville? Number 6 Bridge or Deep Eddy? Both are my fishing grounds. I'v fished both areas pretty good in the last 6 or so years. You say you caught a flathead, where? And HOW? Like I said we fished that area HARD for years tryind to get a flatty out of there and only ever managed like 2 or 3! The biggest being about 10#. We might have to hook up sometime. Now I live in Willmar, but my in-laws live south of Renville by the river. So I get down that way about once a month or so.

LEECH

------------------
<*)))))))><{

I was at deep eddie, i was useing a chub, on a deadstick, with a orange floating spinner above the hook. Nice area down there, we had a few other bites as well.

The names you listed are all familiar to me. My grand parents, who used to farm the land (and my) last name is Agre. We are the first farm in Renville Co. if driving from Granite Falls. Not far from the public access.

I've never fished many other places along the river. Although, I have heard that there are many good spots.

Hoping to get back a few times this fall for some fishing and hunting.

Kyle
[email protected]

KJA

My last name is Agre to, Agre's from Renville. Did (or does) Lowell White farm your families land. If so I know where it is. I have seen your name on posted signs glad to see you on the forums. My grandpa William Hegna owned some land west of ya along the river.

Do any of you guys have connections to fish the dam east of Granite from shore? I'd be most happy to bring the "pop"! dance.gif

My folks live in Lake Lillian and I'll run down that way every so sften...Nice rocks down along the river too!

------------------

I have fished a little bit east(downriver) from the dam, only like a quarter of a mile down. I have had pretty decent luck this last spring there.

If I remember right there is a farm place that sits right at the dam. I haven't taken a hard look at it(I just drive by), but there might be a spot where one could walk down. Or, I could be wrong and it could all be posted.

------------------
<*)))))))><{

Yup, Its all posted. Its not a farm,Its the old power plant site with a home there now. I guess it used to be some sort of resort. Anyway,I did ask the guy two years ago if he wouldn't mind if I went down and played with some of his walleyes. He politely said no and continued the tough process of backing a boat into his river.

I haven't attempted to gain access on the south side yet but that would also be good shore fishing. The only other way is by boat and the granite rocks can be an issue!

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------

if you have a canoe you can put it in upstream about a half mile and use the portage route on the southside and fish off the rock.

doesn't Ken Peterson of Granite still own it? I heard acouple years ago if you called in advanced he would charge $5. Maybe I will look into it some more.

Angler903
You've got it right on the money. Lowel does farm our land. It's good to make the connection with you. Amazing what you can find out on the computer.

I live in Fargo, ND now. Making the switch from fishing to duck hunting. One more big trip planned to Rainy River in October and then a little fishing while duck hunting in Granite.

Drop a line some time.

Kyle
KJA

[email protected]

Went out last friday to deep eddie and caught one ten pound flatty.. anyone else go out this weekend?

hamrej23...When you go fishing at deep eddy where do you fish from and where do you cast your bait(in the current or slack water?) What were you using for bait? Sorry about all the questions, but it's just frustrating that I can't seem to get one out of the same spot. Any answers would hopefully help...as long as any kind of luck is on my side for once! Oh yea, what time did you catch the flat? Thanks again, LEECH

------------------
<*)))))))><{

went down there friday, casted just towards the left of the big rock straight out front. we were using creek chubs on a floating spinner waited to the bottom. i have gone down there twice the last week and caught two flats just like that, around 8-10 pounds.

Any word on the walleye bite? The weather is starting to get pretty cold now. The eye's should start going pretty good.

a co-worker caught his limit of 15"-19" by Wegdahl in a boat. don't know if it was an inlet upstream or downstream, or anywhere.

I've gotta be totally honest here. After reading those stories on this forum earlier about someone being caught dumping waste from a meth lab into the Minnesota River, I'm really very concerned about eating any walleyes from this river ever again. Even the little fifteen inchers!

Some of the chemicals used in meth production are extremely toxic, and even with just residual contact can be very harmful to your health. And the stories inferred that this was just a fluke that these guys were caught.

I love to take home a few fillets for my family once and a while, but I don't want to even flirt with endangering their health.

Does anyone have any other information about current water quality in the 'sota? Is it safe to ingest any fish out of this river?