• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catching Cats

I just started fishing on the MN river and have been kinda guessing what to use as far as size of hook and bait, can anyone help me out.

ya if u want to go after bigger cats i would recomend a 3/0 to 4/0 hook with a live medium or large chub hooked behind the dorsal fin, for smaller cats a 2/0 or 3/0 baitholder style hook with 3 or four night crawlers bunched up will give u smaller cats as well as carp and the occasional big cat. fishing deep holes and current breaks such as big fallen trees or wingdams can be very productive and easily accesable.

9/0 to 14/0 hooks, sinkers from 1oz to 5oz, bait bullheads and sucker chubs, chubs from 8in to 22in. Small sheephead all so work good. Rod 7.6 hvy duty, line 40lb to 80lb, reel Abu Garcia 7000C3 with bait alarm. Just my two cents but a bait alarm is a must, all it takes is a hart beat and one little screw up and you can kiss your rig goodby.

Like Rick said make one of the river rat meets. And you will get all kinds of new info. By the way Rick you get to try that e-cat out yet?

thanks for all the help, when and where is this gathering.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If fishing for flatheads you can certainly go up in hook size as stated above and in size of live bait. 7" Bullheads are one of my favorites. Some of the better cat anglers really like big live suckers.

Cutbait is a very good option for Channel cats and will also take flatties form time to time.

The best way to learn is to attend a cat gathering. I believe Dennis is having one in July???

All good advice.
The cat gathering I will be hosting will be the first saturday of September.I think its the 4th?I am still working on the rest of the details but most likely be at the Carver access.

Well I guess I won't be hosting one on Sept 4th.The MN River Catfish Championship will be that weekend.There are some details on that in the Tournament forum.
I will have to look at another date.It will mostlikely be in September though.I am swamped up untill then.