• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

between me and one other person we caught easily over 60 shovelnose sturgeon today anywhere from 20 inches to 32. every cast we would get one just about..caught em all on crawlers. on the cottonwood river in new ulm.

Wow! That's a ton of sturgeon sounds like fun.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

yea it was alot of fun but it was kindof hot at first..it was weird ive never caught sturgeon like this before, it was one right after another right in the same spot. cast it out let the curent take it a little wait about 5 seconds and you got one. is there a reason why there is so many in one spot..i thought these things were kinda rare to catch? also i read somewhere that the record one is 31 inches and 5.5 pounds on the miss river.. but the 32 inch one i had was only about 3 and a half pounds. so either i read wrong or that record one must have been really fat. im gonna go out tommorow again and see if there still out there...

I HEAR QUITE A BIT ABOUT STURGEON THIS YEAR...MORE THAN EVER ACTUALLY. I GUESS PEOPLE ARE CATCHING THEM MORE THAN EVER IN THE MN RIVER AND NOW I GUESS THE COTTONWOOD. I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER CAUGHT ONE OR SEEN ONE CAUGHT, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO THIS YEAR. YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OF WHERE ON THE COTTONWOOD YOU CAUGHT ALL THOSE FISH, WOULD YOU? WHAT TIME OF THE DAY WERE YOU CATCHING THEM AT? THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Well I Don't know about the Cottonwood But they are catching Shuvelnose Sturgeon right at the landing (and I mean right at the landing) in St Peter. Along with walleyes and catfish.
good luck.

I remember having a day like that fishing a ways below the Rapidan dam. One after another. We got tired of it and had to find a new spot. I havent caught many in the past few years but I dont really fish the river for anything other than cats. I did try it earlier this year wand felt like I was wasting valuable cat fishin time! lol
rob

I kinda thought the same too. For some reason we've caught more sturgeon then all the years combined. A very good cat spot in the past years, turned into a sturgeon spot this year. The smaller ones don't seem to fight that well, once on the surface they just kinda jetski to ya.

DO ANY OF YOU GUYS KNOW WHERE I CAN ALMOST BE 100% SURE THAT I'LL CATCH A SHOVELNOSE THIS COMING SUNDAY. IF ONE OF YOU KNOW A SPOT AND HAVE SUNDAY FREE MAYBE WE COULD MEET UP OR YOU COULD TELL ME THE SPECIFIC SPOT AND TECHNIQUES TO CATCH ONE. I'VE WANTED TO CATCH ONE EVER SINCE I WAS REALLY YOUNG AND I FEEL THAT NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE A SHOT AT IT. I ALMOST NEED TO BE 100% SURE I'LL GET ONE OR THE WIFE PROBALY WON'T LET ME GO. I USALLY FISH BY REDWOOD FALLS AND GRANITE (THAT STRETCH OF THE MN RIVER), BUT TO CATCH A STURGEON I'LL MAKE THE DRIVE. THANKS FOR ANY HELP....LEECH

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Not sure with all this high water. But I caught mine at Chaska.

well i went back the next day by myslef and got about 50 or so from 12:30 to 6 and a freind of mine showed up at around 3 he got about 25 or so. i had one that went 34 inches and around 4 pounds that day..and then today i took my dad out there to the spot cause him and his friends didnt believe us and i only got 3 and he only got 2 in about an hour..but its not as hot or sunny as the other days so im thinkin thats why...

im fishing the old broken down dam on the cottonwood. not the one they took out at flandrua but the other one..but i think you can catch em just about anywhere on the cottonwood cause ive caught a few in other spots, just not that many. im just using a nice off set hook with about a foot of line from the hook to the swivel then a 1 and a half ounce wieght above the swivel.

MY E-MAIL IS [email protected] I'D LOVE TO HOOK UP WITH YOU ON SUNDAY MORNING IN NEW ULM OR WHERE EVER IT WORKS BEST FOR YOU. WELL ANYHOW WE'LL WRITE TO EACHOTHER THROUGH E-MAIL. THANKS AND I'LL HEAR FROM YOU SOON.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Hey sounds like your really hookin into em. I live in New Ulm and would enjoy trying for these sturgen. If you could let me knoe exactly where this old dam is at that would be great.

Caught some earlier this year on crawlers when the water was low right at land of Memories Park in Mankato. It's possible that the sturgeon retreated up some of the smaller rivers during high water on the Mn River.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

HEY *********. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS IN THE ABOVE POST. WE GOT A BUNCH OF RAIN LAST NIGHT. DO YOU THINK THAT WILL CHANGE THE STURGEON BITE ON THE COTTONWOOD? WRITE TO ME.......LEECH

------------------

<*))))))))><{

*********, ITS THURSDAY MORNING. HOW'S SUNDAY LOOK? HAVE YOU BEEN OUT LATELY?

------------------

<*))))))))><{

no i havent gotten the chance to go out lately because its been real crappy out, i might go today but im not sure. the river went up a foot or 2 i guess so hopefully there still in there.. im gonna try and go saturday and if i get any ill let you know about whats going on sunday..

HEY *********, TRY TO LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS YOU CAN ABOUT SUNDAY. I HAVE A FRIEND THAT MIGHT GO WITH SO I'LL NEED A LITTLE TIME TO GET EVERYTHING ORGANIZED. I THINK NEW ULM IS ABOUT A 2 HR DRIVE FROM WILLMAR, NOT SURE. LET ME KNOW EITHER WAY, THANKS...LEECH.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

I'm gonna hafta check this area out. How would I get there from here?

Here is half way between 169 and 35W.

LEECH21, i know its a ways off, but after you hook into a couple of those MN river sturgeon, you have to hit the rainy in the spring for sturgeon/walleye. after you get your fill of C&R fat walleyes, find a hole and sit with your basic crawler channel cat setup and hold on, on a good day you can tie into a good dozen fish ranging from 20" to over 50" fish its awesome how much power a cool water 40" stugeon has. more and more people are taking advantage of this stergeon fishing, its a great alternative to try when the water is dirty and the walleyes shut down. Belive me its worth the trip.

I REALLY WANT TO GO UP TO RAINY NEXT SPRING. MY COUSIN WENT UP THERE IN APRIL. THEY DIDN'T CATCH A LOT OR REAL BIG ONES BUT THEY HAD FUN ANYWAYS! AS FOR THE SHOVELNOSE STURGEON IN THE COTTONWOOD THIS LAST SUNDAY....NOTHING....NOT ONE. THE WATER WAS EXTREMELY HIGH WHICH MADE FISHING TOUGH. I THINK THE STURGEON ARE IN THE COTTONWOOD TO SPAWN. THEY CAME FROM THE MN RIVER TO LAY THEIR EGGS IN THE SMALLER RIVER, ONLY ITS NOT SO SMALL ANYMORE. THANK YOU ********* FOR SHOWING ME THE SPOTS, IT'S JUST TO BAD WE COULDN'T CONNECT WITH ONE. *********, KEEP ME/US UPDATED ON IF THE WATER GOES DOWN AND/IF THEY START BITING AGAIN. I'D LIKE TO GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT. THANKS AGAIN.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

The only thing that makes my contribution to this thread relevent is that it's about a sturgeon. I grew up in WI near the Eau Claire River. I fished it all the time. but one summer when I was 17 or 18 I decided to just fish for whatever bit on the bottom. Didn't have any live bait, but I found a dead 4" perch in the rocks near shore. Hooked it one and threw it out on the bottom.

After about 15 minutes I was battling what turned out to be a 49" sturgeon. I'm not sure of the weight, but it was a very hefty fish. I hadn't caught one there before, so at the time I wasn't sure what it was. I measured it and threw it back and when I got home I looked it up to see what it was. It was the ugliest fish I'd ever seen. Too bad this was long before I made it a habit to carry a camera with me. However, it's a memory that will stick for the rest of my life.

------------------
Patrick (pjfweb)
Bloomington, MN
www.sirpatrick.com

Hey *********, have you been out lately? How's the water level?

------------------

<*))))))))><{

waters down to just about normal on the cottonwood, havent caught a sturgeon in a while however ive been mainly trying for walleyes on the cottonwood. and ive also been out on the minnesota alot latley looking for big cats..im determined to get me a 40 plus pounder this year. i had one about a month ago that i lost after a 30 minute fight,i actually had that one on the cottonwood. im pretty new to these big cats and ive only been able to get 5 pounders and one that was about 8.

How many sturgeon did you catch? Any size to 'em? Please keep me up dated, I want to come back down. Thanks....LEECH

------------------

<*))))))))><{

• 2 weeks later...

*********, how's the sturgeon bite now? Is it worth me coming down this Sunday or Monday? Thanks for any info...LEECH

------------------

<*))))))))><{

i wish i could answer that but i cant.. ive been away up north for the last week. and the weeks before that i was throwing in minnows and chubs for cats and walleyes..so i really have no clue if there are any sturgeon still biting. i would say you have about a 30% chance of getting one if you stayed there long enuf.

*********, do you plan on fishing the cottonwood in the next few days so you can give me a report on how you did?

------------------

<*))))))))><{