• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Here Kitty Kitty

Here is a pic of a nice flat that I picked up while fishing for walleye on friday.
I was pitching Ring-n-Grubs up into the shallow fast water of an incoming creek.I just made about a half dozen cast when she hit the Ring-n-Grub.He didn't hit it hard...I just felt a tap and then nothing.I knew there was a tree under the water where I had pitched the jig,so I assumed I was snagged.I gave it a good jerk...it jerked back just a little.Then it started to move.OK now I knew what I was dealing with.It was a big cat.She just kept moving as I tried to turn the fish on 8lb Power Pro.I think she didn't even know I was there.I wanted this fish so I just followed her.She slowly worked her way toward the main river.I don't know if I had anything to do with her decision to turn and swim back to the slower moving current,but I was trying like heck to keep her from getting into the main flow.I was also trying not to put too much pressure on the jig and end up straightening it out.JR's makes some good jigs but a 40+ plus fish can straighten anything out.
I followed the fish around for about 10 minutes with the trolling motor , just keeping my line tight and not horsing on her too much.She finally gave in and rested in a quiet area in only about 5 feet of water.I slowly lifted up the rod tip to see if I could pull her off the bottom.She came up a foot or two and decided she wasn't done yet.She gave a good long run and the chase was on once again.She went under the boat and just kept going.I turned away from the line adn followed her again to some peacefull water.I finally pulled her off the bottom and scooped her up with the net.The jig popped out of her mouth as soon and the net and the fish landed in the bottom of the River Pro.
This is the biggest fish I have personally caught and when I put him on a Berkely Scale he went 49.7lbs!She was 46 and half inches long,and very fat from what I assume was eggs.At the egg production rate of 1000 eggs per pound there are going to be a lot more flatty's in the river next year...and one just a little bigger than her. smile.gif

flatmay28_1.JPG

Nice fish!!- but did you find any Walleye's? Congrat's again Dennis!!. Going product researching today with the Midwest Kat-stixs custom Cat rods. From what I've heard they are very comparable to the St. Croix's Cat Classic.

------------------
Puff-Puff-Pass

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yesterday Dennis Steele of Minnesota River Guides caught and released this 49.7 Lb flathead yesterday in a Metro Area of the Minnesota River.

This baby is still swimming and Dennis assures me there are many more 30-60 lb flats swimming in the Minneosta River.

Dennis Steele - 49.7 Lb Flathead
dennissteele-45flathead-052804.jpg
Nice Fish and One of a kind Victory Celebration grin.gif

If You'd like to see Dennis's Ring-N Grubs - CLICK HERE

or his

JRs Tackle - Rattle Jigs - CLICK HERE

I asked this in the other fourm where you posted this pic. Has there been an increase in the number of and size of cats over the past few years? Or is it more people are fishing them.

Good Luck, JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

WOW! Now that is why I'm hooked on them kitties. Congratulations Mr. Steele.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say.

Those words are:
sumosumosumosumosumosumosumosumosumo.....

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

Dennis I do have to give you credit that kitty is beautiful! You were definetly lucky using 8lb. Power Pro. A good trolling motor always helps though! LOL

Holy Cow! What a guy has to do to sell those ringy thingys, I tell ya!

If the river gets back to normal any time soon I'll have to go fishin flatheads with 6# mono and a flu flu!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Whew! I'm in awe! Nice job Dennis, one heck of a fish!

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Hey Fishhead, congratulations that's a monster! Way to go! Vern

WHAT A PIG! The fish, not you Dennis. Congrats are in order. Nice release!!!!!

chunk'

Dennis Great cat. I have been really missing the walleye and cat fishing so I am coming home for a few weeks soon. Hope to run into you while I am visiting.

Way to go Dennis! Thats one sweet cat! Were you by yourself again? Fishermann, let me know when you are coming back! We will get out! Hopefully in somebodys new River Pro! I got to drive it last week, WOW!! Is all I can say!!

Rainman

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 05-30-2004).]

What a hog she was. Someday I'll get one that gives me a good reason for getting a scale bigger then 50lbs. Once Wiskers sees that pic he's going to want to come down here. Maybe he's affraid to bring his River Pro down here though. hahaha

Thanks for the congratulations guys.
I think I found a new pattern for big cats.
Small baits for big cats......
Here is another flatty taken by Jim W using a jig and leech on 6lb test while fishing for eyes on saturday in the same area.This one went 28lbs

flatmay30JimW.JPG

I think the cats have eaten all the walleyes in that area.Never did get one.

I don't know if the numbers and size are increasing.
I always used to consider that 30lbs was about the average size.Last year it seemed that average was way down,probably only in the low 20's.
To early to tell this year....
There is a lot more people fishing for these cats.Seems like yesterday a guy could get out on a saturday and never see another person.Now its not uncommon for me to see half a dozen boats in a 4 mile stretch,and half of those people I have never seen before.Its not crowded but its getting to be popular.

[Note from Rick: I see Jim is proudly wearing his camo FishingMinnesota Logo cap. Cool. http://fmLogo.com ]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-31-2004).]

Thanks Dennis for another fun ride in the River Pro and the fishing!
Like usual I had a couple fish on that didn;t make it to the boat, but the Flat I caught was the biggest I have personally landed!

Jig and a leech!!! I kept tellin' Dennis, you Cat guys aren't "technical enough"!LOL

WHat a fight on light gear and you should have seen my line afterwards! Not really sure how we got it in!
As hard fighting as mine was, I can't fathom a 50 pounder on light gear!!!!

Thanks again Dennis! I'd do it again!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!(and your feet solid on the ground!lol)

Jim W

Was that one of your brothers Dennis? I think they may be right in saying you are part catfish. Not that you look like a catfish or anything grin.gif… But man you can catch some big catfish. Great fish and great pics too! That one Jim has isn’t too bad either. Both of those monsters must have been a real battle on light tackle.

Yep, Those are some nice looking kitties. Well we're all guilty of asking for the water levels to be a little higher. Now we did it. I think Dennis and a few others should keep their raindance activities to themselves next time.

Went shorefishing over the weekend, and had trouble finding the shore.

Great fish Dennis. And thanks for posting my walleye that I got on the Ring-n-Worm.

I might have to add those to my bass fishing gear.

Hey Rainman I will be getting back into town around the 18th of June for a few weeks. We will have to try to make it out... I been itchin since my last trip last july.