• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'll be headding out of Shakopee tonight for a couple hours. Maybe I'll see some of you out there.

man did I have fun last night. I didn't manage to get one Kittie in the boat, although I missed a couple. I happened to bring the ultra light and some worms along and I found some carp...lots of them. As fast as I could get one in the boat and unhook it I had another one on; fished until it was too dark to see then, through a bullhead out and waited. The bullie got chewed up pretty good but I never managed to hook up with Mrs. Flatty.

Tonight maybe another story.

I always have the light gear with me. There's always something to catch out there.

I'll likely be out both Friday and Saturday night this weekend. Rain don't bother me much.

I hope the offer is still good for tonight. I'll give you a call this afternoon....

I did manage to pick up a half dozen bullies last night, but I used one up pretty bad, I've never seen one get chewed up that bad before. after a very short run I reeled in to check my bait and thought I lost it by the feel but he was still on there, only he looked like a piece of cloth stuck to the hook...crushed, chewed what ever you want to call it. I can't believe the fish didn't hold the bait longer.

Probably a **** turtle. They like to just sit there and chew......

7:30 it is.....

Do I need to bring anything????

Other than the obvious stuff!!

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 05-21-2004).]

I'll be bringing some cold beverages maybe a thermos of coffee and some cask and cream too...it's not supposed to be too warm out tonight. I have a half dozen medium suckers and 5 bullheads left from last night and a couple pieces of frozen shade but I'm guessing they aren't so frozen any more and some crawlers and leeches.

The FishinLogician and I will be heading out Sat evening. WWG, you gonna be in the same area as last week? Anyone else? We may even head down BellePlaine way sans boat and fish from shore. Don't wanna bogart any spots, but I'd be fun to see anyone out tomorrow night.

Sat day? Catching bait.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

My uncle from Montana is going to be in town and if he has time, I plan on taking him out from the Shakopee launch. I'm not to sure if he'll want to fish in the rain or not but I may be out there by myself, sitting by a fire up under the trees waiting for the bells jingle.

I'll most likely be out late afternoon till past dark.Probably launch from Chaska.Maybee I will bump into some of you guys tommorrow?

It's still a go on my end of things. Rain, lightning, hail, wind, etc won't deter me (ask Fisher Dave, he'll tell you). I've got two 500gph bilge pumps on the boat but if it starts to pour more than that we'll have to pull up to the bank and fish from there wink.gif

See you @ 7:30pm,
PJ

I put in at Shakopee this afternoon and fished from 4 to 8 PM downstreem from the landing.

Was going after eyes and was hitting all the different rip rap sections. Would make one pass trolling downstream, turned back and trolled upstream, then floated back down the section jigging twister tails. Tried different patterns of cranks, and different colored twisters. Only thing that seemed to work were white twisters and then those only worked when it was tipped with a leech. I didn't try tipping with minnows.

Only ended up with 2 eyes, 18" and a 21"er. But all the sheapshead I could want.

Several more places I wanted to try, but was just focusing on the rip rap shores today. If it's not raining tomorrow morning I will probably go out and try upstream from shakopee.

korn_fish - How's the water level and current on the Minnesota? How big is your boat? I was thinking about lauching from Shakopee also but not sure if I should use my 17 ft tracker or my 12 ft which has a 5 hp.

My boat is a 14 foot with 25 horse. However, you still shouldn't have any troubles downstream from shakopee with your rig. Not sure about up river towards chaska.

Shallowest stretch that I seen was about 5-6 feet deep.

There was a guy at the gas station with a ranger and it sounded like he had been out on that stretch of river recently with no problems.

What a weekend; fished with Wastewater and Perch Jerker Friday and I narrowly missed having spanky on my back. We, I mean mostly PJ, brought sturgeon, carp, channels, flats and near as I can tell a smallmouth Buffalo to the boat. Yes it was raining, yes the beer was still cold, yes the BS was flying all over the place...and I had a blast.

Went back out Saturday and brought my uncle out and put him on a 10LBS channel with in min of setting up, only pulled in one other fish, smallmouth buffalo (I think). It sure was nice Saturday night.

Flashman - what rig were you in on the river? I was loading the boat right around 8PM. Was that you in the jon boat with lights up front mounted to the 2X4?

I was talking about Saturday night.

I only seen three other boats downstream from the landing between 4 and 8 PM Saturday. figured one was Flashman, just trying to figure out which boat was his.

Any of you guys notice the channels you caught this weekend?
Friday evening we boated just shy of a dozen channels and most were very nice.7lbs+.One went 12.5lbs and most were in the spawn phase.Very dark and swollen heads.We also had a very nice flatty on.I had the drag set pretty tigh and that fish didn't even know it.Thought the guy would get spooled so I gave the drag one more little twist.I guess that was not the solution. frown.gif
Again on suturday the channels were big with gong 13lbs and most were showing their stuff.It was interesting that saturday there were no peckers bugging us.The little guys are affraid? smile.gifMost of the fish caught were also very tight to snags.Something is up!

Sunday we tried for eyes with no luck whatsoever.

Where were all those nice cats when we went out last thursday?

I was just elimating the bad water that day. grin.gif
JK
Some days just suck!

Yep,

I have volunteered for quite a few of those "bad water eliminating" days. And I'm more than willing to volunteer for more. grin.gif

I had my 1700 Lund Fisherman out from Shakopee Saturday night. Went upstream almost to Chaska and fished that stretch for a while. Got a couple white bass and two big channels and a small flathead. Then headed all the way down river to almost 169 and fished with Flashman and company for a couple hours... Just one small channel there.

No problems with my boat anywhere in that stretch (115 Yamaha). Did bump a couple sticks after dark downstream of Shakopee but that was only because I got out of the channel.

Hey Ed......was that line actually hooked on your boat??

Those guys in my boat were a little lit. One of them forgot to reel in their line at the last spot we were at. Drove up river about a mile before your headlights lit up the line enough for me to notice it.....

Reeled it in and still had everything except the bait......Wonder if the flatties will hit it at 10 mph.

Korn,

yeah, that was me in the jon with the lights mounted on the 2x4. It's actually my buddies boat, he just got it and that was it's first trip on the river. Man do those lights work great; just like driving the car down the river.

WWG,
no, there was no line hooked on our boat. NO harm no foul. I've been in that state while fishing myself...I can recall a few times where I had too many to even fish, so call me a redneck.

flashman - that was me strapping down and pulling out with the blue ranger and the grey 14 footer with the catfish logos when you were just pulling in to the landing then.
If I see ya out there again sometime I'll stop and say hi.

I just mounted a flood light in the front of i\mine and have been pretty happy with that. But still need a little bit more if I want to move a little faster at night.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 05-24-2004).]

Hey Perch Jerker,

Have you seen my carharts???

I'll get em back from you one of these days.

Yep, they're in my blue boat bin. I'm going to be on the river this weekend if you want to set up a 'meet' time for Fri PM.

I'll e-mail you to work out the details.

PJ

Anyone plan on hittine the river tonight? I'll either launch out of Chaska or Shakopee. Will be in a Blue/Red Alumacraft 16' w/50hp Force.

See ya there

I'll be out there this weekend as well. I haven't got a chance to get out and find some bullies but I'll make time...tomorrow maybe, I'm headed for Cabela's tonight. Matt, what was the brand on that Sturgeon Rod you picked up?

I'm going to try and get out to Shakopee tonight and fish until 8 or so. But doesn't look good right now with being able to get out from work at a reasonable time.

I will be down fishing kato or new ulm area Friday night and new ulm area the rest of the weekend.

No bullies, but will be strictly creek chubs for me this weekend for the flatties. I have a FEELING smile.gif

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:3GjXPM_tWpwJ:www.south-bend.com/southbend/trophy_tamer2.htm+South+bend+sturgeon+rod&hl=en

South Bend
Trophy Tamer XL
Sturgeon Rod
XL-067

$58 (??) + shipping ($12?)

I got it from a company in northern Chicagoland, IL area. You'll have to call south bend and they'll get you in touch with their retail outlet. The guy in IL had to special order it from the Reno, NV warehouse to his place in IL, then send it to me.

Dennis,

Thanks for letting me eliminate some more water with you last night. If my arms recover, we can do it again sometime. That was too bad I didn't catch any catfish.

Those "other" fish were pretty fun, though..
grin.gif