• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I've been fishing for cats on the MN exactly twice, both in the past 2 weeks. I know very little about catfishing but I do know it pays to stay out late. The only ramps I know close at 10 pm- Lilydale, Hidden Falls, Ft. Snelling. Can anyone fill me in on other ramps in the confluence to Shakopee stretch where you can leave your rig until it's finally time to go home? Someone mentioned a Shakopee ramp, and my Hudson's map book shows a ramp at the end of Lyndale in Bloomington. Thanks in advance. Oh and I did catch a couple cats, about 10 lbs. each, on cut bait soaked above snags.

While I'm asking questions--when do you set the hook? Right when they start moving avay or do you wait a while? I don't like gut hooking fish, but I also like catching fish.

As far as I know the ramps that close at 10:00 pm are closed to the non-fishermen ( Beer drinker and such ).
The landings are there for you (The fisherman) to use. If there is a reason for you to be there (fishing-boating), there should be no problem.
If you are just hanging out, The landing is closed...

Iv'e never fished for Flatheads, but I do fish Channels on the Red River near Grand Forks just about every weekend. If your new to catfishing, your in for a treat.

First of all, if your after Flatheads, I do know the night bite is the best. Shallow water at night...Deep holes during the day. It's all about searching and learning the river. Also don't be afraid to try different things. Live bait or cutbait. If fishing is slow on one try the other. Channel cats will bite good day and night! Again depending on river levels and time of year, you can catch channels on any river that has them anytime of the year. You just have to know where to look.

In the spring (NOW) you might want to try ANY feeder creeks. But that doesn't mean you have to fish right at the creek mouth. Start there, but if you don't get anything fairly quick (15-20 minutes) move down current aways (50-100 feet) is all. Try scattering your baits. A line shallow, med depth, near channel and in channel. If your fishing by yourself move your bait as said above after waiting for about 10 minutes in each location. Once you start getting bites in a specific location set up your boat above that area and sit on that location. Once things settle down, move to another location in that same water depth. Make sure that you pay attention to the little details (near channel of river, in channel, structure, hole, etc) If you do this you should have no problem catching catfish. (atleast Channel Cats) Other good locations include the hole or washouts in the river and bends in the river. The active fish will be at the front of the holes and the "lazy" fish will be on the back side of the hole, so try both locations. As for setting the hook...When fishing for any catfish, especialy in murky or dirty water, feel for weight on your line. When you see the bite pick up your rod and wait for a steady pull. Once you feel a steady pull, then set the hook, you'll hook em' almost everytime. Another good bit of advice, if the fish are hitting the bait hard, and you don't mind not setting the hook, try a circle hook. You won't have to worry if your setting the hook to soon. Just remember with a circle hook you HAVE to let the fish take the bait. Your rod should almost be touching the water before you touch your rod!

Hope some of this helps you catch the big cats your looking for.

And Remember, you don't have to have a
"GOOD REPORT" to catch fish!!

------------------
CatMan

CatManLee,

Thanks for the reply and the info!