• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It was a slow weekend for walleyes and saugers on the river for me this weekend! Fish were hard to come by! Caught 2 walleyes and 1 sauger! Anybody out there have better success!

Rainman

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Cats are biting. Caught 2 Channels and a Flathead. WWG cuaght a nice wallyee. A lot of approximately 2lb white bass were also boated.

We tried a lot of things. It seemed the Ring-N Grubs by Catch-N tackle produced the best. Even outperformed Mister Twister and Berkley Power baits.

( http://CatchN.com )

Maybe Dennis or Wastewaterguru wil get a pic or two up.

pretty slow night for the cats Saturday night. 3 channels (small 3-5 pounders)on cut bait, 4 short runs on suckers that didn't even give me enough time to say "theres one" but enough time to squish and kill the sucker. Then decided to head back in around 1 AM and stopped at a small shallow sand ledge and had 4 eyes in about 10 casts on a ratl trap.

went out again this early morning and got nothing.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 05-16-2004).]

I had a great opener.
I fished with a lot of folks over the weekend and I consider all of them freinds.I think thats what its all about.

Only 3 eyes were boated over the weeknd but there was no lack of fish to be caught...just not lots of eyes.I did get one quality walleye saturday morning on a Catch-N Tackle
Ring-n Grub and a JR's Tackle/ Rattle jig and most of the white bass were taken on them also.I also hooked into two very nice cats that I could not land in heavy current on light walleye tackle.It was still a great fight. smile.gif

2004openereye2.jpg

It was good to get out with freinds on this opener.I fished with Rainman saturday evening and Rick and WWG sunday.Lots of good ribbing and BS.I consider it to be a successfull opener!

Excellent stuff!

If you base an outing on ribbing and BS, just wait, you'll get more than enough in two weeks. Make sure you pattern them walldogs, who cares about catfish!lol

Jim W

Eye's, eye's! Who's purposely fishing for those trash fish on Sat wink.gif

I was out on Fri from 8pm-7am from Shakopee with a friend of mine and we did well.

4 Carp
3 Shovelnose Sturgeon
2 Flattys
1 Channel

However it was an odd evening. The channel hit an 8" sucker, one flatty hit the cutbait and the other hit the glob-o-nightcrawlers, the sturgeon were landed in two different spots, and the carp were everywhere.
Neither flatty was big (under 10lb) but the channel went 10.5 pounds. It was the first time I used nightcrawlers on the MN because I normally target cats only and thats a live or cutbait world. They'll definately be guests from now on though.

Those were the first two shovelnose sturgeon I had ever caught so it was a banner night. I've boated White Sturgeon in CA, Lake Sturgeon in MN, and now Shovelnose in MN.

BE WARNED. Upstream of the Shakopee landing it is SHALLOW with sandbars-a-plenty however the multitude of snags dotted every 50ft keeps things interesting. Downstream is less eventful.

About 4am we pulled up to a sandbar and built a fire for the transformation from night to morning, that's when the fog rolled in. WOW IT WAS THICK! We puttered to the landing safely and all was well. That trip we only saw 1 other boat with two guys in it around 6am who slipped by ever so quietly in the fog downstream of the landing. They probably thought they were going to be the first ones on the river until they saw us on the bank with a cheery fire and a couple cups of coffee & baileys.

PJ

Well it looks like I should have stayed here and fished the MN. Perch Jerker, boated right past your cabin this weekend...pretty slow up there water temp was only 48 degrees. I'll be spending the weekend on the river but I have to go to Warroad mid-week so I don't know how much time I'll spend on the river during the week. Hope to see you guys on the river.

Flashman,
No luck, that sucks. Did you happen to see the new pontoon & motor (older steel one) I purchased from Jigglestick tied up to the beach at the cabin? My bro tested her out last weekend and liked the rig - I still haven't seen it in person smile.gif

I'm leaving for Chicago this afternoon and will be back tommorow late PM, but could probably fish the river on Fri PM. I'll send you pic's from last Fri.

PJ

PJ,

I emailed you but let's do Friday if you can. Wiskers mention he was coming down with his River Pro Saturday morning; I'm not sure how many he's bringing but there may be room in that if you want to fish Saturday night. I haven't got all the details from him yet but I'll let you know when I know.

PJ,

We justed missed you Friday night. Buzzbunni and fishinglogician were out and I had my boat and we fished upstream of the 169 bridge and a few areas between there and the 35 ramp. Let me know if you have room next time.......

Later,

WWG

I'll only be able to get out on Saturday night this weekend. I have just the big boat right now and will have to stay down from Shakopee. Hope to see you guys out there this weekend.

Me and a cuz was out on the MN about 2weeks ago. We saw 2 guys with a john type boat about 16-18ft. Looks like a boat rigged for catfishing. Was a pretty neat set-up. Is that anyone from here? It was about afternoon rushhour when we launch our tracker and they loaded up, they were driving a older boxy ford. Anyways, we came back about 10pm ish. We only managed a 22" and 24" channel, and lots of nibbles and a few sheepheads but other wise it was fun.

Oh, we launched off the 35W launch.

[This message has been edited by ricqik (edited 05-19-2004).]

Went down to Chaska launch yesterday shore fishing. No whitebass, no wallys, but tons of carp. One even hit on a Roostertail. Then went upstream a little to a catspot. Some how that cats spot has been taken over by small 2-3lbs sturgeons.

Good luck