• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have been out a few times this week and the cats have turned on.Not the little dinks that have been pecking at my line the last few weeks but some nicer cats.
I have been trying to formulate a pattern and have decided that the best pattern right now is just put some bait in the water.They seem to be biting everywhere.Shallow,deep and everywhere in between.Allthough the best concentrations seem to be on the pushes at the tail of deep holes,or the upstream side of shallow sand flats.No wood required. smile.gif

Here is a pic of a bruiser that surprised me on a small hunk of cutbait.He just picked it up and slowly walked away with it. smile.gif
41" and 35lbs.

Flat050604.jpg

WOW!! great fish. where was this at?? I'm gonna have to start going after the cats one of these days

wow nice cat dennis. hope to get to the river one of these days to try for cats the weather lookes like its going to warm the water a bit in the next few days. that should put them on the feed.

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

Nice cat Dennis! I believe I know where you caught that fish by the looks of the background!

Great Fish Dennis! I'm putting the boat in tomorrow. Thanks for the info! smile.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Nice one man! I think they may be starting to wake up! I was down in Kato the other day and a guy caught one on crawlers that went about 15#.

Time to hunt up some bait!

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Great fish Dennis,
Now where was she hidding when we went out? The cats probably knew I was coming and got scared off. But how's the river do you think my rig will make it?

Thanks

Sure now the cats turn on. smile.gif That is a pig! Nice Fish Dennis

I haven't been able to get to the river at all this week but I'm bringing the boat back with me this weekend so hopefully I'll have some pics to post by the end of next week. I can hardly wait, to get on the water and off the bank.

I was fishing for channels with small pieces of cut bait(even small for channels).He plucked it once and slowly moved away.As soon as I stuck the hook to him he went ballistic and cleared the water then ran straight at me for deeper water.Hooked him in less than 4 feet of water at the tail of a hole somewhere near Jordan.
After having success on the points and the tail outs I went looking for more spots like that.Never fished that spot before and it looked like nothing except that the wind blowing against the current gave away that there was a small rock pile at the end of the hole and a large sandbar behind it.I picked up several decent sized channels on the spot also.

Nice fish Dennis! I am finally on the board now with my first flat of the year. I got a 17lber tonight on a bullhead.

Rob

Rainman and I went exploring last night. The Whites were slow again but Randy got two Flatheads on a small crank bait...a 19# / 34", and one around 10#. Its pretty impressive when Flatheads hit lures attached to lighter gear! smile.gif

------------------

Went down to Belle Plain today with Ebass and some friends. Meet Dark also as we where leaving "prime time of course". I caught a 31" channel and a bud caught a 28" and of course sheepheads and carps. Sorry "Ebass" but he got the big Skunkgo. Now you know how it feels. All in all it was a great day to be out.

Dark how did you do after we left?

Good luck everyone

YES! Its shaping up to be a good season! My second night out and I broke both my personal best for channels and flats. I got a 13lb channel and a 38lb flat tonight. Both caught on bullheads.

rob

nice fish rob where are you getting the bullies? the same spot as last year? been away from the river for 2 weeks now fish must be turning on. with this low water they must be easy to find (anywhere in the water).

i need to get out this week are there any time frames these fish are biting or is it them just feeding after a long winter.

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

Very Nice!!
Everybody is catching cats. smile.gif

Big cats on cranks! Way cool! You'll have to tell me more... smile.gif

I spent saturday on the Missy and we pounded the cats there too.No flatheads but tons of channels.

Hey Troutman, Yeah same bullhead they just showed up again. No time frame I think anytime on the water you have a good chance. On friday I got my flat around 10pm and lastnight I got my flat about 2am. I think they my be biting during the day too but I havent been out yet to try it.

rob

Not Everyone is catching cats. I watched everyone else catch cats. smile.gif I'll get em next time.

We had a good night with the cats. Between my wife and I we got 5 in. This is a pic of my wife with her first cat ever!
roxy'scat.jpg
We're not sure what it weighted.

[This message has been edited by Kato-cats (edited 05-12-2004).]

Congrats to the wife on her first cat and nice size too!! By the looks of these posts looks like they are turning on! Gotta get to the river!!

------------------
I like my cats Flat and my women ......

[This message has been edited by Caesarfishinguytoo (edited 05-11-2004).]

kato- kat,
beautiful picture!! did you catch it in the mankato area? i too am new into catfishing. i caught my first flat two weeks ago on the judson bottom road. were you in a boat or on shore. i don't own a boat, so any spots on shore would be greatly appreciated. good luck and good fishing . mdzika

Kato, welcome to the site! Nice cat.....Uh, she looks a little too clean...are you sure she didn't get any help wrassling with that catfish? smile.gif

------------------

Nice kitty Kato-cats!

Sounds like you had a good night.
Hard to tell how big that cat is...Looks like a 20lb plus,might be even bigger.

Nice kitty I told you they were hitting on the phone. We will hit some of my super secret spots this next weekend. Hopefullywe can snag a couple of 40+ flatties.
Nice catch rox.

We were shore fishing just off of Judson bottom road. We went back tonight and stayed till about 2:30am. They were hitting pretty good after dark but we only managed to bring a few in. One was a nice channel a little over 10 pounds.

That first night after we got the scale we weighted one of my flatheads at 26 pounds 2 ounces. I think my wife’s was a little bigger. It's the first time we've hit them when she has been along. I put on a good show mud wrestling em, she stayed pretty clean but she was worn out. These cats give amazing fights and our efforts are paying off. Glad I've been reading the forum, it helped!

moosebaytripper: Can't wait to take the boat down the river. I've got some stuff on Saterday, maybe Sunday would work for you guys?

[This message has been edited by Kato-cats (edited 05-12-2004).]

kato-cats

Looks like the bottom road is doing good for you. My 2nd biggest flattie came from that stretch one spring a couple years ago. I will be watching the weather this weekend and will be trying to get to a honey hole down your way.

I broke out the ol duck hunting push pole to help me attemp to get to the honey hole. It was nearly impossible to get to it last year and now with the river being even lower, I know I'll be doing my share of wading and pulling the boat by hand smile.gif

Hey Moosebay - I can't remember if it was you, but didn't you catch that 30 pound channel last summer wink.gif If it was you, I'm Just giving you hard time. Were you in that square stern canoe last year with small motor? I've been looking at getting one of those for this year.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 05-12-2004).]

Hey kato it was nice talking to you and your wife last night. My wife and I ended up with one 27" flat before we headed home at 10:30. She also caught a sheephead that must have gone about 5lbs. Catch you on the river. smile.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

korn fish it was my fatherin the pic with the chanel. He way over stated that fish,it was however 20+ lbs. Yes I do have two square backs and a regular canoe, squarebacks are hard to come by and you will need one this year if you want to do any traveling. If this helps out at all one of my square backs was a regular canoe I cut off one end and plated 1" aluminum on the back works just fine if you don't mind your canoe being 1' short.