• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mn River Paddlefish?

Anybody here ever caught (or heard of) a Paddlefish in the Minnesota River?

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I have caught 3 in my life from the mississippi below the Ford dam... I dont know the habits of the fish, but every fish came on a lure fishing walleyes.

The last one I caught was in the early 90's, the same week a brown trout was caught(not by me) at the Minnehaha creek confluence.. no joke.

Fisher Dave.....
A Brownie! That's what I love about rivers, ya never know what's tuggin on the other end of the line till ya see em. I visited some of your spots in the metro this past winter, holy swiss cheese Batman!! Ahhhh, the power of the internet. wink.gif Hope all is well for ya up in the nortland, be careful up there, they stick guns in your faces for completely different reasons than in the metro. grin.gif LOL

Dark30.....
Well, I gave the MN river a quick try last night for some muti-species in my area. Nothing was fooled by what I had to offer, I was humbled, I mean, come on! There can't be many fish as dumb as roughfish, except maybe some largemouth bass. grin.gif River sure is low for this time of year, we need a week long soaking soon.

I still owe you a Haufenstauffer or whatever it was, soon my boy, soon. I'll tell you how this worm boy had to catch the fly boys dinner for them on the Root opening weekend. That, and you can tell if ya got that contraption up and working yet. Finding agates along the Root while trout fishin!?! You sure have some skillz and the bug really bad. LOL smile.gif

I heard from a couple pretty good sources that someone found 2 juvenile paddlefish, approx. 24 in long dead on the shore of the Minn river just north of Redwood Falls. Whether thats true or not I have yet to find out for sure. But I will post my findings if and when I get some.

Spud Bar, Please do find out any more info you can. I have a friend from the DNR who be very interested in the details. Thanks!

Hey Duff, That would be weinerstiffener smile.gif I'm about ready for another one or two up at Dangerfield's in Shakopee!...Maybe Tuesday after work.

------------------

Dark30....
Tuesday is possible, I'll check with the Redhead and see if the I can get the shackles removed for a while. I'll keep ya posted.

Dark30.....
Sorry Kev, you just got one upped by an offer of a T-Wolf ticket. We will have to make it another time, hopefully before the kittys really start to prowl. I'll keep in touch.
Duff

I think I caught a paddelfish Monday night on the river. It looked like a shark, was at 24 inches, and was the first one I had ever seen.

suer it wasnt a sturgeon? Those look an awfull lot like a shark.

paddlefish04.jpg Heres one that they netted near Granite Falls this week. I wish I could have been there and helped play in the river! I guess the Hutch area fisheries guys are doing another MN River fish survey this year. This time there will be some special interest in the Paddlefish but they will be sampling everything including my personal favorite too.. Mr&Mrs Flathead!<P>------------------<BR>cast,cast,cast,cast......

when did they net this paddlefish??
I live 10 miles west of Granite Falls so very interested!! If anyone finds out when dnr is doing surveys let me know, I have an A.A.S degree in Aquaculture and would love to help.

Great photo Dark! I never thought they were that far up the Minnesota. Very interesting. Vern

I didn't take the photo ( I wish ) It was e-mailed to me from Konrad Schmidt with the Non-Game fisheries. Hes the one one whos researching the distribution of these fish. Good info at this link.....

http://www.gen.umn.edu/research/fish/fishes/distribution_table.html

------------------

Yeah, thats not what i caught, what i cuaght was brown, with four like tenticles by its mouth. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Angler093, you been out lately fishing> we should head out sometime.

You probably caught a shovelnose sturgeon and on a far outside chance a lake sturgeon. Do a google search and you'll probably see that it was a shovelnose.

PJ

Angler93

I am not gonna be able to make it tonight, but i was thinking sometime next week, I have been out a few times to the river, and had alright luck.

23j
wind sucks!!!! Had boat out once been windy every day. been going to So. Dak and catching northerns. Maybe fish river tonight, have smelt and to big worm farms full of nightcrawlers. give me a call wife works at 230

Shovelnose sturgeon - here's pictures of one my dad caught to weeks ago:

dad_sturgeon.jpg
shovelnose_mouth.jpg

They are protected in the Minnesota River.

• 11 months later...

Here's an old photo of some Mn River Paddlefish near Granite Falls. The river is much cleaner now than even in the late seventies. Nice to see that this fish is still around and maybe even making a comeback.

paddlefish57.jpg

Those are really cool unique fish... I still havent been able to land a sturgeon yet.. mad.gif

I was fishing the MN by Redwood Falls Tuesday nigh and the cats are still in hiding. But one of the guys I was with pulled in a sturgeon. He'd never caught one before and I'd never seen one caught. Pretty neat...

Last year the shovelnose sturgeon started to really bite on the Cottonwod River in New Ulm. I tried three times down there with no luck because the weather was bad because of the rain. If anyone is fishing this stretch and getting some let me know, I'd like to make another shot at catching one.

Sorry leech, i havent heard about any sturgeon yet, i might go try it in a few weeks here. The cottonwood is up pretty high right now still, give it a few more weeks and they might start to run.

If you decide to come down around the New Ulm area, maybe we could go try for our first sturgeon.