• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Camping spot???

J.A.Say.Tree

Hey folks,

Looking for a campground to stay at near the big pond. Is the state park there pretty nice? I'd really like to avoid the "sardine camping scene" if ya know what I mean, so I'd be willing to drive a bit away from the lake for a peaceful camping environment.

Any help or opinions are welcome!!

JA!

Both State parks are pretty nice. Kathio on the SW side is much more "natual" than Father Hennepin on the SE side. Father Hennepin has two nice boat ramps for easy access to the lake. It's a popular place for fishermen and is full most weekends during the summer. Kathio is a bit off the lake and is much more quiet. Not so many fishermen. Go to Katio if you want to avoid the crowds.

I'm really glad to hear that!!! I just made reservations at Kathio... sounds more rustic & less "Grizwaldish!"

My next question would be which boat landing will be the least like a circus on a weekend!??!?!?!??? I see there are a number of them near the campground.

JA!

Tree,

I know you've already made reservations, but for future reference, the North Star Resort on Wigwam Bay is a good place to camp. It's fairly inexpensive, has a nice, new 100% ceramic tile shower house and is normally pretty quiet at night. Also has a deep launch with a slip rental available. Nice folks. They do have some more secluded sites, if that's what you are looking for. They only have one cabin, so they really cater to campers.

Of course, I don't have their number with me, but they are in the book.

I'll put another good word in for North Star they have always treated me right and it is not the typical cramped campground. They have a nice harbor and probably the cheapest camping on the lake. Stop in and check it out when your in the neighbor hood. It is next to the yellow cabins in Wigwam Bay.