• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BigMike

Current Water Levels (9/29)

BigMike

BLB - you're giving all the secrets away... wink.gif. Higher water = new shoreline = new feeding options. When I say scattered, I was meaning that the fish won't be as concentrated as they are when the water is real low.

Mark Christianson

Now, if I would have said to dump in on the Rum in Anoka, go into the Miss, go upstream past Cutters Grove,,,,,,,

Ooops. That is a secret.

Royce Aardahl

keep talkin blb, I'm listening smile.gif

EBass

Me too and about 100 other lurkers. Cutters what/where?

pisces

Another High Water hint: I went wading fishing past weekend with the high water, and fished a Mississippi tributary river, spent all afternoon fishing the first 1000 yards from the big river, up to the first shallow spot. Did good, real good. great try for shore or wader guys.

wheelierida

has the water cleared up any scince saturday? went out saturday from 4-7 for a biggest fish contest with 5 guys. 15" took the $5 pot. I rarely have good luck when the water is so murky. first time I went out and didn't catch a walleye all summer. although a rookie was running the boat, went to a lot of spots I am not familliar with.

BigMike

The river continues to rise! According to the USGS readings in St. Cloud, the current flow/discharge is 7670cu.ft/second and the gauge height is at 5.61ft. This time last week we were only at 6110cu.ft/sec. and 5.41ft. Sunday and Monday saw flow/discharge numbers nearly double that of the mean 16year average.

You can check the latest flows here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mn/nwis/uv?dd_cd=03&dd_cd=04&format=gif&period=31&site_no=05270700

Although water levels are high, with improving water clarity, fish should be back on the feeding binge to bulk up for the winter months. The higher waters will mean the fish will be scattered more and a good method for locating active fish in this type of scenario is to cover a lot of water by using search baits: cranks, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, inline spinners, etc. If a structural pattern develops (eddies, fast water, shelves, laydowns, current breaks) fish those sections more thoroughly with plastics.

Mark Christianson

I'll dispute the "fish will be scattered more" statement.

With high flows, fish tend to suck up tighter to banks of the river.

The telemetry study done on smallies in the Miss proved that in most cases.

Concentrate efforts closer to shore, areas that may have flooded grass, timber, etc....
Thats where your fish will be located more than likely.

Royce Aardahl

if we get more rain it can easily go up 2 to 3 feet more here in the st. cloud area. looks like no rain for a while so the water should clear up before long. mepps were the ticket last weekend for me.

HawgTide

The water is still dingy and high, but the fishing has been great in the evening. I caught 22 this evening with 7 over 17" in about 2 hours. Some areas are hot now, but others you can't get a bite. They seem to be holding together in bunches.

BigMike

HT you bum! I'm just jealous! I don't know if I'll be out this weekend after all. I'm still hoping to, but it's been a long and busy week - plus I haven't taken a Saturday off from fishing for the last 6-7 weeks! We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I think the water is going to stay up for a while. But from the sounds of it, the fish have acclimated to the higher water and putting the feed bag back on! I wish I could get out to those "bunched up" spots grin.gif. Cold weather is coming - BOO! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to dress warmer grin.gif