• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Beat my personal best....

Aquaman01

Saturday night I took my mother-in-law and kids out to the River in Monticello and it was wierd. LOWEST I've ever seen and the area was lousy with SUNNIES!?!?

I had to cast extra long and tall to hit current, but was rewarded at sundown with kitties. The biggest was 28 1/4" long (no scale) which beats my personal best by 1/4". Heck of a brawl!! She took 4 long runs on 6/20 braid before succombing to my superior angling prowess ( wink.gif ) and getting landed...scaring the kids quite nicely. My boy is no fish-wuss, and he wouldn't get anywhere near that muscle-torpedo!

I know it's not much compared to those Red River Channels, or a Minnesota Flathead, but hey...in this stretch of the Missy that's a Sumo!

Thanks, Dennis, Dark30 & Ed Carlson for the info & tips that made it happen.

Rob

Congrats Aqua! That is a beast of a cat! Those things sure do have a lot of power and a fun to catch - I'll admit though, when kitties start getting into that range, I'm a little freaked out too shocked.gif! They just don't look normal - almost pre-historic looking! wink.gif

Congrats on the Big Kitty,

I'd have to say she would go about 12-15lbs depending on girth. Sounds like maybe I'll have to swign on up that way for some cats.

Good luck and take it easy bud

Nice fish Rob. I took my boy to one of our old holes and we hooked up with some cats this weekend as well. A spot you actually told me about hint hint. Biggest was 23 but we sure had fun. Also caught a carp about 8-10 lbs. I thought he was going to take my rod away from me.

Thanks, all!

Saw the pics, Mike - nice smallies!

Phil - How are you gonna get out to fish with two (or is it three) jobs, and a new little girl?!? Did you invent an eight day week? I want in on it, too!

Erik - The boy is out with ya?! Right on! I didn't know there were cats in that spot. I suspected, but never tried. I haven't been down there in a while. Congrats on the Father/Son time!

Best Fishes,
Rob

The only way lately that I've been able to get out is LACK of SLEEP. We're talking either late night or crack of dawn early and off the water by 10:00am. Been doing ok on fishing but man am I tried.

Hey,
A Few buddies and I were thinking of hitting the Crow at Watertown Friday night what ya think?
I don't get off NAPA until 10:00pm and fish till 2:00am or so.

Rob, Isn't your wife due soon. My wife is due Feb 25. I guess I really don't want to fish much for the next few years. Seriously my son is now 21 months old and the most fun fishing partner that I have ever had. We shore fish usually and a trip 1 hour long is about the norm. He is a riot. He loves to play with the bait. If you are using crawlers hide a few because he will have them lost and never to be recoverered in short order. Minnow he catches out of the bucket and puts in the water or gives to other kids fishing from shore. Any fish that may end up in the bucket are also put back in the water or given to other fisherman. I never knew how much fun I was missing out on. Sorry to ramble and make others read my post.

Phil,
Thanks, but I can't. Saturdays are my cash cows and I need to be sharp. Friday evening I'll be getting ready for my father/son campout next week. Sorry.

Erik,
We're all rambling, but so what grin.gif . You included tips on fishing with a toddler - good 'nuff. My wife is due in...any time now. She's been ordered onto light duty and been told to 'stay pregnant' for two more weeks. I'd like it if she held off until after my only flathead trip of the year. (hee hee)
#2 in February, eh? Awesome! Three more and you can have a b-ball team wink.gif

Guys - I'm putting a permanent on Mitchell this year (I hope) and maybe with that as a warming house we can get all our wee ones out for a day of tip-ups? I still don't know squat about hard-water, but I got a feeling I'm gonna need a fish-house this winter grin.gif

Rob

I took my wife out of Ellison Park 2 years ago in late summer. After dusk she caught a 31" channel. We were using fresh cutbait.
My coworker has caught a few around 30". They're in there!

Rob,
I have a 4x6 Mankota style in the basement waiting for you, and a heater. Yes we will get out. Ramsey is a good lake too.

Later