• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

monti FM gathering

riverwader

BM, just for that, you get to get us unstuck all day on Saturday. smile.gif Bring your waders!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• Mark Christianson

• HawgTide

• Royce Aardahl

Hey now BM!!! A little electricity never hurt anyone..... Doh!!! Cat's out of the bag. Actually, sometimes I feel like I get a better length frequaency with angling!!! But that is not the true picture. Take care guys. Have fun and stay safe.... from rocks.

Hey SH
Will a gill net work good in the rocky terrain? I picked one up on Ebay today.
Thats gotta be the ticket for pickin' up a 21+ incher. :B
I can't take the abuse my son continues to give me, for catching a bigger smallie than I ever have. (And a bigger smallie than you have ever caught SH, but thats our little secret)

smile.gif

Hey guys,

I'll be there need a digicam though mine hasnt started working yet from my last trip to the river. I think I'm just gonna wade though if we can go down to kadler I'm fine with that... ohh on a side note went oput tonite to work the rust off since I havent fished since.... sunday... lol and my son (5years old) catches 2 15-17 inchers at Kadler on senkos what a blast to watch him on his ultra light reel those hawgs in.

see ya guys on Saturday.... if you all were smart you'd just show up at 2:30 to see my pics.... lol smallie magnet here I come!!

Don't make me stay home this weekend guys.
As Saturday approaches, I am starting to wonder what I am doing by going up north.
Hunting; Fishing; Hunting; Fishing............

I am getting all screwed up in my head. I need a new psychiatrist....

So are you guys renting canoes or whats happening? OK, I will go revisit the previous posts, since I have not been keeping track of whats going on.

I cant get a canoe so it looks like I will be wading it, in shorts cause I blew out my waders last year and am having a tough time finding size 15 boots. so I will just walk across the river in like 4 steps.

Sorry HT for the missed details. Yes, artificials only. Sometimes I forget that some people still use live bait. Nothing wrong with it, but I hardly ever use it - too many rough fish to deal with on the river when you use live bait.

Eyeguy - bummer that you can't make it! You can impose your face on my picture of me holding a 20incher (hopefully). smile.gif j/k.

Smallie Hawgin - you rock! Not to be mistaken with you hit rocks - that's Hawgtide grin.gif Just Kidding. Maybe I shouldn't joke like that if he is going to let me ride with him on Saturday...

I'll work on a trying to get at least one canoe for anyone who is willing to load it up/drive and use it. No promises, but I may be able to get one. It's big and has a transom rear instead of a normal stearn, but it'll do the trick. I'll ask tonight. Anyone interested just post (first come first serve - if I can get it).

Greggles, I have size 14 feet and had to special order my wading boots - which ended up being back order! I finally got them last month. I feel your pain!

Hawgtide, I'll have my gear and will jump out whenever you need me to! grin.gif.

BigLakeBa$$, hunting...fishing...hunting...fishing. Ok, how about thinking of it this way. 2 years of not knowing if you are the smallie magnet vs. a hunting season that hasn't even started yet! wink.gif I think you know what you need to do! cool.gif

Riverrat - you better be careful letting the cat out of the hat on where you are headed. Just remember, the fish you caught this week won't count for you on Saturday wink.gif just teasing!

For anyone wading, we need to partner up so that you can have verification of your fish lengths. If we don't have enough digicams, we'll have to go on partner verification. It's all good! As much as I want to have the biggest fish at the end of the day, I'm just as excited to be meeting with a handful of other FM'ers and have some fun fishing the river.

I'll have the data sheets and measuring devices for recording fish lengths (remember biggest wins) but it'll also be fun to see what other size fish everyone caught when we meet back at 2:30.

I'm still working on the measuring stick/tape, etc... Anyone know of a cheap method? I don't want to resort to the primative "it was this big...really!" LOL. j/k. If no suggestions, I'll figure it out grin.gif

FYI - it looks like it's going to be a bit cooler on Saturday - but the last time it dipped real cool a couple weeks ago, all the river fishermen were boasting huge catches while lake anglers were all in the dumps.

[This message has been edited by BigMike (edited 08-25-2004).]

Crud
I need new waders. After several patch jobs, I cannot get the last leak fixed.
Putting the dock in this spring verified my efforts to seal em up did not work.

Just call me waffle boy. Can't make up my darn mind what to do.

I hate options. Too hard to decide.

BLB - so what you're saying is - we'll see you there grin.gif. just teasing. If you can't make it, enjoy your weekend up north.

[This message has been edited by BigMike (edited 08-25-2004).]

It looks like there will be 3 in my boat. I'll just stay dry while you guys push me around. smile.gif

Sounds good to me! Sounds like BLB and I are the jet behind the jetboat!

I'm looking forward to this weekend cool.gif! I've got the data sheets made. I laminated them so they are waterproof and I'll have sharpies/perm markers for us to write on the sheets grin.gif. Things are coming together!

That sure sounds like a ton of fun. Will the real Smallie Magent please stand up, please stand up.

Oh wait Brandon is standing! D'OH! I couldn't see him behind BLB. HEHEHE It's cool though BLB, he has me beat by .5" to.

BM has some kewl looking data sheets!

Later Gents!

I think the WEST will join you guys Saturday for some smallie fishing. Maybe meeting you first hand would calm the seas. I will be working the stick baits the fast water. We also will be working live bait rigs in the holes. See you there. West

We are doing strictly artificial baits.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 08-26-2004).]

BM its ok if you follow me..... what I remember of last time you guys were all to chicken to go in the water in the morning anyway.... lol.... so at least my title of true river rat will stand cause im pretty sure smallie magnet will go somewhere else... like to my house since my 5yr old is maybe coming with wedll see you guys on sat.

Let me make the rounds of responses to posts:

Ebass - you crack me up!!! grin.gif Never fails. I think BLB son Brandon has 95% of us beat. My best was a 20.5'' last fall.

West - everyone is welcome. I'll have extra data sheet available for last minute attenders. It's going to be a really great day on the water!

BLB - as you mentioned artificials only for Saturday. Live bait rigs give an unfair advantage (sometimes wink.gif).

Riverrat - you are a river rat by every stretch of the term! When the few of us watched you practically jump into the river and ford the entire river we thought you were crazy! But you sure did know that stretch real well. Bring river rat jr. on Saturday, it's all good! But if I have anything to do about it, the smallie magnet bragging rights are coming home with me grin.gif.

The data sheets are done. I have them laminated to be waterproof. I have a handful of sharpies, but if you have one bring one along just in case. I'm getting pretty excited about Saturday - it should be a good turn out.

I'm really looking forward to the reports. It pains me to say I can't make it on my home stretch of river, but I'll be thinking of ya'll while I'm selling furniture.

Rob

Ok, so last night I go to home depot and they are out of yard sticks... wackos, I just called 15 minutes earlier to get a price, I go there and they are out - go figure. Who runs out of yard sticks of all things. Some other FM'er is probably having another get together or something LOL.

But with that said, I decided to run to the dollar store right next door and make a quick browse. I found the fabric/taylor measuring tapes 2 (one retractable & one strip in each pack) for $1. They are actually really nice! Never thought I would find anything at the $1 store, but I'm not complaining! So I picked up a handful and they should work out perfectly!

Aquaman - wish you could make it, but we all understand. When we do it again next year we'll try to plan it so more people can come - maybe even make it an official FM gathering like the Anoka gathering last year.

I have a fabric tape too (had to use it to measure the 4 muskies I caught yesterday) I also have a golden rule measure board, the wife is dragging me to the state fair today so I will get a yardstick, hopefully she dosent beat me with it first for all the fishing I do.

see ya all tomorrow

here fishy fishy

Greggles. I've got 10 cloth/plastic measuring tapes: 5 retractable & 5 strips. It only cost me 5 bucks so I think we should be good to go. If you have one you can bring it, but I'll bring what I picked up.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the canoe. I just heard back from my friend this morning frown.gif he is using this weekend on the 'croix. Bummer, but oh well - it didn't hurt to try. I'm getting excited about tomorrow. Should be a great time!

Who has digi cams? I do, BLB? Anyone else? I think we'll go on partner verification of fish length for data sheets and then just snap a couple pics for FM of the nicer fish for those that have digicams.

Hawgtide, I could swing by and meet you at Kadler if you want. BLB may be closer, but he hasn't posted yet and I can swing by there. What time? 6:20ish?

eyeguy - if you could make it, awesome! The weather is going to be awesome, there are more and more guys deciding they're going to be there. I've got 14 data sheets, so we should be good to go. I've got 10 rulers and sounds like a few others have rulers/measuring tapes too. Sounds like we'll have a couple of digicams available. If HT has one, I can let another team use mine (just not Riverrat - he likes to toss digicams in the water... just teasing! grin.gif). See you guys in the morning. Might be 6-9 guys. Anyone else interested, just show up at Ellison Park in Monti at 7am. I'll re-post the details for everyone.

Here is the information for tomorrow (Saturday, August 28th) one last time:

Time: meet between 6:45 & 7am and we'll go until 2:30pm. If you come late (or want to stay later) those are the times we will all be meeting at Ellison Park. We've cancelled the bbq - sorry guys.

Where: Ellison Park in Monticello.

Directions: Take I-94 to Monticello, take Hwy 25 exit (north/northeast) and head into downtown Monti. Go through downtown and just before you go over the river bridge turn right on East River St (I believe it's the stop light right before crossing over the bridge). Follow East River St. about 1/2 mile to Ellison Park which will be on the left.

Boundaries: Open ended north & south from Ellison Park (within reason). This should help those canoeing. You could launch at Montissippi and pick up at Ellison or launch at Ellison and pick up at Kadler Ave. If canoeing/floating a boat, arrange your own car details for launch & pick-ups. If anyone ends up wading, you can drive as north as Montissippi park or as south as Kadler Ave. and wade any stretch between there and meet back up with us at 2:30pm.

Rules: artificial baits only - sorry guys, no corn allowed LOL wink.gif

Scoring: Individual with the BIGGEST/longest fish wins. Measured & verified by partner. Digital Cams for fun pics to possibly be posted on FM later. If you have a digital camera, please bring it to document your nice catch. I will be supplying the measuring tapes and data sheets for partner verification. (if you have a sharpie pen, please bring just in case)

Who: Anyone still interested just show up at Ellison Park at just before 7am and we'll pair off into teams of two/three and hand out all the data sheets, rulers, & possible digicams. Again, if you have a digital camera, please bring it to document your catch *say cheese* grin.gif

Remember, this is just for fun and some bragging rights! It's going to be a good outing and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you (for those I haven't met already).

See you all tomorrow. Any questions email me at [email protected] and I'll check my emails before bed and first thing in the morning before I leave.

I'll have a digi cam in the boat. I also have 3 of the fish rulers. Big Mike or BLB, do one of you want to meet at Kadler and leave a vehicle there? That way we could drift down from Ellison without having to worry about going back upstream.

Aha!
I am the first to post.
The first annual FM Monti event was a success and a great time.
I caught the most and the biggest! smile.gif

I cannot lie. I will get crucified by the attendees. wink.gif
Greggles, Riverrat, Tinman, Big Mike, Hawgtide, and eyeguy.
I'll let each person report on their successes.
It was great fishing, and pretty good catchin.
Our boat had a very cold start, and a very cold ending. Late morning until noon was excellent. We hit a couple stretches with good numbers and good quality south of Monti.
My biggest was 18 inches with a couple 17's and a couple 16's.
Highlights for our boat were hitting a rock at 40mph to start the morning on our initial run west.
People on board almost getting thrown overboard while slipping downstream and hitting a unknown rock.
Having to get out and get the boat unwedged off rock piles in the river.
Hawgtide almost re-piercing Big Mikes ear.
Hawgtide almost removing my appendix with a buzzbait on a hookset.
And one other lowlight that we won't talk about cuz this is a family forum. smile.gif

All in all, a great day, and an absolute pleasure to meet all you fellers. We can't wait until next year to get together again, so lets get another one planned Big Mike!
Next time we need some food and beverages. Maybe shorten up the day a little. But then again, if the fish are hitting, keep on fishin!

Thanks guys! Very good time!

Only in your dreams you got the biggest and the most BLB smile.gif Just call me mr. edit. smile.gif yes it was a fun day!! met some good smally nuts and got to fish some new waters. 19, 18.25 and 18 were my biggest 3 and greg got a nice 17.5 for his biggest of the day. Big Mike those big smallies sure do fry up good for shore lunch with that cajon stuff, mmmm mmm gooooood! smile.gif

47b4d609b3127cceb50ec659139c0000001610
47b4d609b3127cceb50ec6eb132e0000001610
47b4d609b3127cceb50ec6ee921b0000001610

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 08-28-2004).]

Looks like the same fish 3 times only you let greggles hold it once and you put a sweatshirt on for your 2nd pic

I knew this honor system thing would be a joke. Leave it to eyeguy and his side kick greggles. jk

Hey, eyeguy, after you left, I cut up a couple 17 inchers that were left over and used em for cut bait on cats off the boat launch. No bites. Darn it. I wish I had walleye cut bait.