• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How low can it go?

Royce Aardahl

here in sauk rapids it was about a foot lower last year so it's very close to that level.

It has been amazing to watch the river drop the past 10 days. I've only been fishing the Mississippi for about 6 years now (up-river from Clearwater towards St. Cloud) so I was wondering how much lower the water levels can drop? It's not even the 1st of August and it won't take much more of a drop to get as low as I can recall.

A friend of mine who has been fishing the river most of his life says the lowest he can remember the river was during the drought of 1988. He said the fishing was phenominal that summer.

Does anyone else recall a really low water level period on the river? And how was the fishing?

------------------
Keith_MN

I plan to live forever......so far so good!

I mostly fish upriver from Clearwater, and I am suppose to be taking a couple fiends fishing on the 11th of August. If we don't get some more significant rainfall to the north in the next 10 days it could make for a very interesting day trying to get up the river.

I run a little 12 foot lund with a 9.8 horse Merc thats lifted up an extra 4" or so on the transom, so when I'm by myself I figure I can get thru 9" or less if I take it easy. But with two extra people in the boat I think I better be prepared to get my feet wet in a few places.

Last year was my first year, (Otsego - monte), and by August, I had a VERY rough time of it, (boat wise) and I have Jet outboard!! I agree..I think it was about a foot lower last August, and yes, fishing was great...It 'aint' ever too bad! Not sure why it is going down so fast, I believe it has alot to do with how they regulate the locks. I know the moisture up north was short earlier in the year, but they caught up quickly, so there is some water north of here???? Just looked out my window, and the rock I use as an indicator shows that the water is up a 'bit' today.....