• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Cloud-Sartell informal tourney??

smallie_hawgin

If we need to be paired in groups of 2 that would make the measuring thing easier when wading I would love to come out fishing and actually prefer to wade when the river is this low if Big Mike wants to wade or any of the other guys like Lost if he's reading I would pair up with any of em (specially Big Mike, I want to see thew smallie magnet in action)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Royce Aardahl

• BigMike

• smallie_hawgin

• fonz58

If you plan on attending this event email me
with your FM user name [email protected]
I think the pairing while wading would make life easier.

I was thinking like potluck or BBQ afterwards. Ok by you guys??

On the AM check-in... I think it would be a good idea to know who actually shows. to know who to expect later.

I think I'll work on the Digicam tourney idea even for this fall. Thgink it would fly??

Fonz you mentioned some camera friendly measure boards... how much for say 20 or so? What time frame do you need? I was thinking the boards would also need to be initialed in the photo so we know who's fish it was.

Anyway, I like all the input from folks. Maybe we should start a river fishing league!!!! Pick a different species to key on each week??? The possibilities are endless.

SH
So this isnt a team effort????
I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will be in the back of the boat, and you will be doing the controlled drift with the electric, so I will get first shot at the hot spots!!!!!
I LIKE IT!
Unless, of course, you are going to make me run the boat........... frown.gif
I guess it is my turn to run the electric.

So whats the deal with the digi cams?
What if some guys don't have cameras? Could they use a live well and bring their fish in at 11:30?
I would think that should be fair.
I have a digi I could borrow someone, but man, I'd hate to have a wader fisherdude drop it in the drink.

Details, details, details.

If ok I've got a small gas grill I'll bring down for brats and dogs. I'll also get some paper plates, chips, ketchup and mustard. bring your own buns and meat. and liquid refreshment of course. I live just down the road a ways so I'll raid the fridge. fonz I have you covered for lunch. rain or shine we'll have some fun!

I don't know if I can now make this one guys. That's a bit early to travel for what I'm going to be doing the previous evening.

However, the digi camera idea would be a slick way of doing it and the smallies would agree if they had a choice.

R U solid on the crack of dawn? Don't change for me though, just wondering.

Oh also for us city boyz, Rob and I hit up the camden stretch for a couple hours after work last week. We got about 15-17 small smallies (biggest close to 15" to wee warts) working eddies and rip rap with fast current close to shore tossing jigs n grub. Rob also caught a 23" channel kitty. Fun times!

Whoa there BLB... I was just trying to accommodate the crowd that's interested. Besides, who says I couldn't just drop you off... grin.gif. I am not willing to give up on team River Amateur that easily. No, I was still thnking team of sorts. It would be awfully tough to find a different fishing partner (other than my wife or son of course) that would work.

On the Digi cam deal I priced a Wally-world special at $19.00. For a Digi-cam-tourney we could make entry per team be like $50.00, cover the costs for a cameral friendly measure board and the camera and still have a pot to split up among the top 10. This is negating any offset from a sponsor. So who knows.

As far as Crack of Dawn....Geeese Mon!! 0630 is bright enough to tie a knot!! No I guess if you have late plans it would be early coming up from the cities. We'll just count on you for the digicam tourney Ebass.

------------------
Love as if it is your last day, eat and sleep for the energy to tackle tomorrow, BOWHUNT, FISH and play HOCKEY for the love of the game!!!

For those of you that think 6:30 is too early-show up later and enjoy! This is for FUN and a little glory. Wouldn't you still have a blast if you can't make it until 8:30? I don't really care what time you start, I'll be there. We never start that early, but as I told Eye Guy, perhaps that is the ticket to get his 20+" fish.

How much for the measuring board? That's like asking how low will the river be when we have the tourney. Hee Hee. I can visualize a number of ways to create it. In the smaller quantity (like 20) We could even go the REALLY cheap way. Poly board (about $3 ea, and a half a dozen Sharpie markers) And about 1 hour of Illustrative skill. In a perfect world (when we have more time) I could have my artist design a board template, burn a screen and screen print them. I would suggest a caution yellow background, with black lines.

A comment about measuring when you're wading. Just mark off the butt end of your rod with some tape, a sharpie, etc. This won't work for the digital photo idea, but is a quick way to measure your fish and get him back in the water.

I want to get my fish unhooked, measured and back into the river A.S.A.P. (I really don't even care to take time for a photo....unless it's a BIGGIE)

OK, now I'm back from my vacation so I can get caught up with FM. smile.gif I sure would like to do this and should know within the next day or so if I'm available. We have tentative plans to go to a cabin ("up north" as you locals like to say)that weekend. I'm sure my partner, RiverWader, would be up for this.

My opinion is that in a format like this, an individual tourney might be better. You still fish with another, but since they are competing against you, then there will be more accuracy in the measurements. Sort of like the PGA tour. You keep your partners score and they keep yours.

BBQ is my middle name (Hawg BBQ Tide) smile.gif. I would be glad to bring some Pork, although it would have to be cooked prior to that day because it takes about 12 hours to cook.

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 08-03-2004).]

Sorry to disappoint several of you, but after pushing to be able to get off for that Sunday morning, I won't be able to make it frown.gif I'm totally bummed because I've wanted to do this exact type of event for the last year with all my fellow smallie huntin' FM'ers. But first things first - so that means I will be at church on Sunday thinking about you guys catching all the big bass! I guess I can relinquish the smallie magnet title for a year... wink.gif (I haven't given up all hope, but I'm only at like a .5% chance of making it happen). Maybe we could do it again in September (and for sure next year!)

Big Mike: I for one would give you grace and allow you to fish on Saturday. Post your results on the FM.

It's not like this is for some grand prize$$$$. Then show up on Sunday and join us for lunch.

I will offer the following prize at No Charge to the winner. The winner can send me his/her favorite photo of themself with a smallmouth. I will imprint it on a T-shirt, and they can pick it up at my st. cloud office. (directions at my website) Which I can post with the webmasters permission. www.imagebuild.com

BigMike, Perhaps we can organize a Monti DigiCam Tournament? There's some nice parks along the river.

LOL - HT you crack me up! I read somewhere that you nailed a rock up in the rivers edge tourney, is your boat alright?

It wasn't me!!!!
I didn't hear that big "chunk" when HT steamed down river to shoot the gap by the "honey hole".
I swear, it wasn't me HT!!!

Chances are I won't make it. Other priorities. But that's OK. You guys kick arse and take names. I know I'm a smallie magent, but only little smallies here in the cities. They love to hate me.

I hit about 5 rocks this week up there. Still no holes. I gotta say I'm impressed with the toughness of the aluminum on that boat. It may resemble a crushed beer can on bottom, but no holes.

Don't think I'll be going up there much anymore anyway. I found a local lake where I caught over 40 3lb or better bass last week. No rocks either!

LOL - eye it's kind of a running joke amongst Hawgtide, Ebass, & BigLakeBass. They nicknamed me the smallie magnet for some reason (maybe it was that 19.5'' that put Ebass to shame... LOL j/k). Anyways, they basically have been teasing me for the year and saying that they all want a shot at the smallie magnet title, hence have a "smallie magnet tourney" to see who really is the smallie magnet. So in a way, this event that you all are putting together is kind of the "smallie magnet tourney" - except no BigMike at this one frown.gif

Hawgtide, I'd love to have a September Monti - Digi Cam event grin.gif Please lets make this one on a Saturday smile.gif

Well, unfortunately I can't make the gathering on the 15th. I will be going "up north". I've been looking on the map for that place for about 4 years now and will finally get there.

Is somebody keeping bass secrets from us...hmmmm HT... LOL cool.gif. 40 3+lber's awesome! That must have been some serious case of bass thumb. I'm jealous!

Maybe since Ebass, Hawgtide & I can't make it, we'll reserve the "smallie magnet" title for the monti event. Maybe we should start planning that event!?

I still wish I could make it to this one on the 15th! Bum deal! Have a blast guys! Be sure to post some of those great smallie pics from the event the monday after!

Yes BigMike, My thumb was raw and my shoulder was too sore to cast. That's why I didn't do good in the tournament, yea that's it... smile.gif

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 08-04-2004).]

OK folks,
Had a couple of questions from some wondering about other details.
How about we set it up like this
When: 0630-1130 am Sunday Aug 15th
Where: Wilson Park landing, Mississippi River between St. Cloud Dam and Sartell Dam and the mouths of Sauk River and Watab river (to thier first riffle).

How much: $0.00 This is entirely for fun and braggin' rights.

Other details: Artificials only.
All smallmouth bass you choose to measure as a two person team will be measured on a board of some sort. Mouth closed, Tail pinched.
Record the catch on the write in rain Data sheet (I will provide the day of)

Best five measured smallies per team will be totaled for braggin' rights at 1130. Must be present to brag.
BBQ, potluck afterwards bring something we all can sample. So far I can see at least 4 teams that have expressed interest. Email me if you have further questions or ideas [email protected]. Looking forward to braggin grin.gif

------------------
Love as if it is your last day, eat and sleep for the energy to tackle tomorrow, BOWHUNT, FISH and play HOCKEY for the love of the game!!!

I wanna go but someone needs to wade with me if we are doin teams cause my poor butt dont have a boat

I would, but our state tourney is that weekend for softball. Heading out there tonight though for some fun after work. Just look for the red Crestliner grin.gif

Darl won't be n till next week...Sooo Sherry may come with, (book in hand) to be my partner.

She didn't seem to excited 'bout early AM so we might be a touch late. Anyway, sounds like a fun time....Kevin

the park gate may not open till 7 a.m. i will check and post wednesday.