• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Cloud-Sartell informal tourney??

smallie_hawgin

Hey folks,
BLB and I were talking about doing some sort of informal get together with other FMers on a small stretch of the Miss between St. Cloud and Sartell dams. Could be an evening thing or better yet a saturday morning deal for a few hours. This stretch of river does offer a variety of fishing from reservoir style to the river rat shallow water-jet only style of fishng. What do you all think about doing something like this in mid-late August??? Launch at Wilson Park?? Any thoughts, ideas, kids included? Thought I would throw it out. And, no I do not actually work on this stretch of river.

------------------
Love as if it is your last day, eat and sleep for the energy to tackle tomorrow, HUNT, FISH and play HOCKEY for the love of the game!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Royce Aardahl

• BigMike

• smallie_hawgin

• fonz58

it's very shallow so I wouldn't recomend any props if you do it. the fishing has been great. props would be ok from the 10th street dam to a couple hundred yards below the sauk rapids bridge. north of that is a big gamble.

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 07-28-2004).]

I would definitely be up for an informal FM get together. I don't have a boat, but I can always bring my waders smile.gif. BLB, Ebass and I have been talking about a little "Smallie Magnet" informal tourney amongst FM'ers and maybe this could be a precursor to something like that. I'll keep reading for whenever you want to do something. The only weekend I can't is August 20-22. Other than that, I should be free.

I was thinking Smallie Magnet trophy myself.

BLB...one more post to 1000! Now you'll be prostaff too. LOL. Just teasing.

I've been waiting for the right time to bring up the smallie magnet tourney.. We need to get that thing rolling soon!

Woo Hoo I'm. I've never been on that stretch so it's a treat for me. I have a 14' jon with a prop, but it has shallow drive and if that hits, well I can get out and walk it up.

Mid to late Aug looks good to me.

man that would be fun but the schedule is getting filled. when you have a date I'll be there with my pard if at all possible.

What do you guys think about early AM on the 15th??? Wilson park, Fish from say 6:30 to 11:30 AM?? Maybe have best five smallies per boat? Total inches on a measure board measured at the access? I was just thinking simplicity... and of course the welfare of the fish. But I am open to suggestions.
We could all bring some grillin fixins and have a cook out and a couple of brews (or pop) after. Just thought it would be kind of fun.

Small_Hog,
I like it. That date could work out great to snap up the 1st Annual Smallie Magnet trophy.

PS - Have you ever caught a 21" smallie on the Miss'? My son was asking about it tonight.

The 15th! I'm there, but I have no live well so .... and no I'm not putting a cooler in my little jon. There's not enough room as it is. Maybe I can bring my buddy Lance that has a fancy pants digi camera.

Man, always on a sunday frown.gif Being a youth pastor, that is the only day a week I really can't do anything. If it works out better to get together on the 15th, I'll be out but I know how getting everyone's schedule to work is so I may have to just miss this one. However, if Saturday August 28th works, I'm in! Just one more date to mill over. Let me know.

For those that may not have a live well, maybe we could go by digital camera shots on the measuring stick if that is how it is going to be measured anyway. Smallie Magnet Trophy to team with best five fish measured per team and reigning Smallie Magnet Champ Trophy to biggest bass.

I might make it as well. I'm participating in a press junkett for Pradco and will partnered with Darl Black from PA. It might make for an interesting article. Of course we would keep the location generalized...Kevin

tentatively i'll be scouting deer in ND that weekend but i'll survive. my pard may be able to make it. we have no live well either. measure and release. write it down in a notebook. if ya can't trust FMers were in bad shape. we always have a digital along to get pics of the 19ers. now if the prize is a million bucks that's different smile.gif have fun!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 07-29-2004).]

Man, everyone is coming out for this. I might have to take a sunday off if I can if this all starts to shape up, like it looks like it is! Keep your fingers crossed! I need an outlet to test my angling abilities up against other Smallie Magnets... LOL grin.gif Maybe I should be on the BASS tour and never realized it. j/k LOL. Now if only I could get off and find a partner with a boat!

Big Mike: My regular partner is EyeGuy, and he'll be in ND putting up tree stands for ME!!!! That leaves me an open spot in my jet boat. You can preach to me, but it might be like preaching to the choir.

Fonz... LOL. Jet boat? I'M IN!!! grin.gif Actually I'm going to try and take you up on that offer. I have to see if I can take a vacation sunday. cool.gif It might be a long shot, but I'll see if I can pull enough strings. This smallie magnet thing has been going on for over a year now! I need closure & to know that I'm the best of the best... j/k. wink.gif Anyone else out there coming out for the first annual smallie magnet (FM) tourney?

BLB....... OOOOWWWIEEEE!!! That hit a soft spot!!! I have broken 20... But I don't measure up to Brandon....Pun intended.

Big Mike, I have been also tossing around the idea of a digi cam tourney on the St. Cloud to Dayton stretch. Details are iffy though. I think it would be great to initiate a new trend in tourneys with a digital "weigh-in" or slide show. Digicams can be bought for less than $30.00 these days. Could make entry cover the cost. Download images on one machine, do a presentation on a big screen for the anglers and families etc. Just like the real deal although, no impact on the fish population and you could fish regulated waters easily. I am only a minor computer geek, but I think we could do this and might even get some non-traditional sponsors for an event like it.

On the St. Cloud-Sartell informal tourney, Glad to see that there is interest. I still wonder about family etc. I have a wife and son that both love to fish...... just can't decide what would be best. I guess for the first smallie magnet.... we should keep it to the true FMers I guess.

Lets make it happen!!

I could have "camera friendly" measuring boards printed up. I'd do them at my cost (or less) That would help us to judge the photo's. I would use a poly board (like is printed for political signs) One of the standard sizes is 18 x 24. If I can get a feel for how many we'd need, I'll determine cost and production time could be an issue, but I'll find a way to pull it off.

got out tonight fonz with noel and we had a good time. water is WAY down. terrible down. tought to get all the way to the dam. had a monster musky rip my line out and inhale a brand new mepps. that's my story and I'm stickin to it. then I had a huge bass spit me towards wilson about 8. close man, close! we boated about 25. I kept the speed down cuz there are a lot of bolders right at the surface in the slow current areas. BANG, CLUNK. you and I should try to get out this saturday if you aren't out spending money at auctions smile.gif
P.S. I may go out friday the 13th, put up stands saturday and come back saturday late. This sounds like to much fun to miss it. I'll make sure I put your stands in a mega buck spot smile.gif

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 07-29-2004).]

Well I'm not quite sure how it is going to happen but I'm going to try my hardest to get up there for this! My wife doesn't think it would be a good idea for me to take that Sunday off, but you never know! I am keeping my fingers crossed. So let's get a role call of who is for sure in and can be counted on. (this might help in my pitch to get off on Sunday too... the more people-the more I will try to push to get up there)

Eyeguy...Where (approximately) are you bow hunting in ND? I will be hunting near Jamestown area. Hoping to get an early season buck from Arrow wood NWR or from some plots land near my inlaws.

Big mike
Obviously Myself and I think I can count on BLB to be there.

------------------
Love as if it is your last day, eat and sleep for the energy to tackle tomorrow, HUNT, FISH and play HOCKEY for the love of the game!!!

fonz and I will be there on the 15th. we also bowhunt together by fort ransom in the sheyene river valley. I grew up in lisbon. we go up early and go for velvet. tons of fun. the last 3 years season opened the end of august. 1st weekend in september this year so they should still be full. I got a nice ten poit 3 years ago on openning night.

My partner Eye Guy and I will be at the tourney. We GUARANTEE that we will hit LOTZ of rocks.

So, BigMike since my partner IS NOW going to fish, the spot in my boat is filled! If you are able to adjust your Sunday calendar and join the tourney, hopefully someone else will give you a ride. If not, you can try what eye guy did yesterday....walk it! He and friend Steve picked up 20 in the morning and another dozen in the afternoon.

Will you guys allow us waders to wade this stretch and compete in the tourney?

Heck I don't see why not! All I was proposing was more like a club/league format initially. We don't intend to have any real weigh-in, Although I thought it would be cool some day to have a digital camera tourney... that doesn't have to be this one. I love to wade myself.... I just usually take my jet to get to better areas than near the accesses. I would like to see what others think on the wading issue. Like I said, I don't have any problem with it.
It may have an individual at a distinct disadvantage though... Initially, I was thinking "team" tournament concept, two anglers per team in a boat, etc, etc. So by that definitiion, the individual wader may not have the same opportunity. I don't really know.

Ground rules for the informal tourney: See what you think.
Fish from 0630-1130 am Sunday August 15th.
No bait, all artificials.
The five Largest measured smallmouth bass are your total.
Measured means mouth closed tail pinched, on some sort of straight board.
The stretch of river includes the Mississippi River between St. Cloud Dam and Sartell Dam and the mouths of Sauk River and Watab river (to thier first riffle).
We will be centering on Wilson Park (East side of the river just below Sauk Rapids.
What are we competing for.... The heck of it.
Honesty is what we are basing the total length on at this point. I want to make sure this is fun for all.
Let me know what you think.

I see no problem allowing folks with waders. In fact, they may have a distinct ADVANTAGE in this part of the river.

If the tourney is per "pair of anglers" in a boat, then just have everyone pair up before the tourney begins.

Do we all have to meet at Wilson for a pre-launch get together?

man o man the river is getting low!! if it stays like this pard I think we'll be boating and wading! so if wading is ok we can drive to spots between the dams? 6:30?? aren't the bass still asleep?? smile.gif

Would it make sense to put some contact info out here to get some more direct confirmations?
SH has my info.

I kinda like that wading option too. Park the boat and get out and walk some areas.
The only problem that makes, is measuring your fish if you are 100 yds from the boat.
Should be fun to try and hold a measuring stick in flowing water and get a smallmouth to behave for a quick measure.... smile.gif