• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tubes

Royce Aardahl

wahooooo, got my first on a tube today. water is up and the action slowed so I popped on a brown colored tube and wham! nice 18er. went from 7 to 9 this evening. 3 on mepps then 2 with the tubes. Is texas style the main way to fish tubes?

What did you catch? I've never fished a tube so no clue how to use them. Sure could use a lesson on fishing them!

I am pretty sure it was a smallmouth, you can rig tube in a couple different ways, carolina, texas, texposed, you can slide the weighted hook inside the tube, drop shot them, weighted, unweighted. There are many other styles but I am having a brain fart right now.
Best Fishes
Chris

So basically, tubes can be fished as many ways at plastic worms?

I'm available just about every Friday. Sunday's are also open for me.

Saturday afternoon's will work but it'd hafta be after church.

Tubes are the best! Definitely a confidence bait for me. So many ways to rig them, but my fav. is texeposed with a light 1/16thoz gremlin bull shot pegged/crimpled right in front of the hook eye. I can dart is for a minnow immitation or let it float & slowly sink across the bottom (perfect for river shoreline). Dying minnow & crayfish immitation depending on colors.

how are the tubes for casting the shoreline with a medium current while drifting in the boat. the mepps work great. the tubing I did was behind bolders. are they best when worked in slack water? thanks.

yup, hey lost, find a couple open dates here in the next couple of weeks and I will take you out and show you hot fish tubes. Either on the river or on dock.
i like bright flashy tubes, rig them weightless and pop and dart, makes them look like a crippled minnow.
best Fishes
Chris

tubes are great for smallies and wallys.... i think the mistake most people make with em is putting on too much weight when casting em.... you can jig em, and then the weight is no problem, but if you're casting to boulders/shoreline then, like big Mike said, don't use more than a 1/8 to 1/16 ounce weight..... if ya put too much weight on em, you can't work em slow enough in open water.....

texas style is great, otherwise Kalin makes a nice jig with a large enough hook to fish a 3 inch grub and weighted from 1/16 to 1/2 ounce jig heads... the jig heads are just plain lead color.... i know gander has em..... not sure bout the other places....

i've had the best luck with the translucent/grey Kalin tubes in the 2-3 inch range..... or berkeley makes a nice tube-type minnow imitation that's got a hollow middle for weedless jig set-ups.....

good luck,

will

That's interesting huskies. I've alway been partial to the more "natural" colored tube. Smoke, pumpkin, etc. have always worked better for me. Too many colors out there to figure out all the variables. Most of the lakes that I fish tend to lean toward a clearer index. When the rivers are muddy, now that's when I get out the bright colors.

Ahhh, the choices we face....

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

HuskiesPlayer, gonna be around this Friday? if so, let's get together. How about next weekend? I should be available on Friday, gonna be fishing the Carp Contest that Saturday, but so far that Sunday is open.

I work friday night at 4- close, swing in and say hi, Im in camping.
I have a football camp on friday morning till noon. On saturday, I have camp in the morning, then I have a camp at the Universoty of Minnesota then I work again until 8, on sunday I work from 4- close, so sunday morning we could sneek out probably. give me a hit if anyone wants to go, huskiesplayer15 at yahoo.com

Best Fishes
Chris

Chris, it was a pleasure meeting you.

Hopefully one of these days you can teach me the trick to using soft plastics. I've got plenty of them but no clue how to use them properly.

Best of luck with football! Kick some arse for us fisher-dudes! Show them we're not weak. Hehe.

Chris, I'll be up that direction today. I'll try to find you in the Camping Dept. Who should I ask for? Hehe. Gonna be lookin' at some fishing and boat stuff while up there anyway.

This Sunday morning might work. Gotta check with my girlfriend to see if she's planned anything for us.

It was nice to meet you last night too Lost, we will have to set out a date and try that, the best time to learn to fish tubes is when they are really biting, (just adds more confidence) so when I find a stretch of river they are biting, we can load up in the float tubes and work it over!

We'll see how this camp goes, I think we gotta shot at taking the whole thing, another FM'er is going down there too, Moses2531 will be going too. It will be fun.

Best Fishes
Chris

My best curly-tail grub-on-a-jig color has been white - should I apply that pattern to tubes until the craws are soft-shelled and the water clears up a bit?

Rob

huskies, sounds like fun but I've never been tubin' before. It'll definitely be an experience. Do you use waders or just wear shorts?