• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coon Rapids Dam

Is there any decent action going on at CRD? Took the kid there this evening and had no luck in the bays.

Went up to Coon Rapids Dam yesterday morning and did pretty good with the cats. Fished the Anoka County side, below the big dam. Caught several fish, most averaging between 2-4 lbs, biggest being about a 6 lb'er. Saw a kid catch one that went about 8 lbs. Ended up taking home a limit of eaters. The cats were hitting on cut bait and dead minnows, but I'm sure any typical catfish bait would have been productive. There were a few guys trying hard for the walleyes but they weren't successful. Might be out there again some time this week to see if the cats are still on...

Good luck,

Manny

------------------
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

Just below the dam? Or a little further down the island? How far out were you casting?

Along the fence just below the big dam. I was set up right next to the white trash can. Straight out from the trash can (about as far as you can cast w/o whipping the bait off your hook) is the upstream end of a large eddy. I was using 1.5 ounces of lead and casting right into the eddy. The eddy is easy to spot, usually there is foam from the dam swirling around it. If you get out there, let me know if this helps...

Manny (aka blacksportsman)

------------------

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

I'd like to fish by the dam in my boat to. So the closest launch below the dam is the 694 launch right? I think that is correct. I know that there are many real shallow spots along the way, but maybe with the recent rain it won't be a big deal.

It should be good launching from Coon Rapids Dam boat launch. They opened it up just in time for the opener. Not sure about the launch off of 694. Don't know of any launches between those two unless there's one on the Hennepin County side.

I'd love to hop in the boat with you but I've always fished from shore and wouldn't be much of a guide.

When using 1.5 ounch weight, was it slip-weight or stationary?

I live about five miles from this dam, but have never fished the river. Thinking about taking the boat out exploring this weekend, either from the dam launch or river park. Anyone have some suggestions or want to play guide on Saturday? That's assuming the t storms stay away, of course. I'm not picky about the kind of fish -- been meaning to try catfishing but haven't yet. Only so many hours in the day :-)

Thanks!
-rus-

Slip weights. A buddy and I will be out there on sunday morning trying for cats, walleyes, or whatever else that might be down there.

------------------

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

I was crazy enough to put the boat in a river I've never fished in the rain yesterday :-) Launched at river park, nice landing, but pretty flat. I had to put the back wheels of the truck in the river. Wasn't too bad of a drive up river to the coon rapids dam, but I'm still not entirely sure I took all the "right" channels. Didn't find any rocks on the way up, but didn't find any fish, either. Had one bite my minnow in half, but that was the only hit in three hours. Might have to add a stinger next time.

Two fifteen pound anchors off the bow couldn't hold me in the current, so I spent most of the time anchored off the breaks and casting on the current edge. Tried under the 610 dam a bit, too, but no luck. I'm sure I'm doing something (everything?) wrong.

Total catch for the day: three rocks, one sand bar, and fifty yards of neon green fishing line with a 6/0 hook on the end.

Hopefully get out Monday and not get skunked again.

-r-

Think I may try the river below the dam again tongight for a bit. Does anyone fish the stretch immediately above the dam?

-rus-

Not much. Right above the dam is an area where a guy can catch big channel cats on flies. But mostly it is dead water. More like a lake. There are some scrawny largemouth bass and plenty of green sunfish in that area. Dams block all fish migration, and every species of fish migrates. So below the dam you have fish trying to get upstream, and above it you get nothing. Well, a few crappies and green sunfish and such will hang out there, along with the cats I mentioned. In very deep water. Which is why dams are so freakin' bad, the fish try to get upstream to spawn and get stuck and can't reproduce; especially perches like walleye and sauger, true basses, and suckers. If you put a boat in at the Coon Rapids Dam, motor upstream half a mile to find some current breaks off the main channel. If you are on foot, fish below the dam, preferably in a resting area where the current is blocked below the dam.

Black, I had no luck below the dam where you suggested I cast for cats. I'm gonna try the upper side. I want to get me some nice fishies. If you look for me I'll be wearing a white baseball cap with BigFishTackle embroidered on the front.

Who all is going to be there for the carp contest?

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 06-04-2004).]

Lost, you're not trying hard enough wink.gif

Actually, I'm gonna take a break from the dam for a couple of days and fish other locations. I've been checking out the Miss river/Rice creek confluence at Manomin park lately, looks to be promising. Might wet a line there sunday or monday. I think I might hang with the Long Lake regulars tonight at the dock and see if the walleyes or crappies are hungry for what I'm pitching. Maybe we'll see ya at one of those locations some time soon. I only get out 2-3 times a week, usually sat, sun, mon, or tues.

Good Luck,

Manny

[This message has been edited by blacksportsman (edited 06-05-2004).]

Thanks Manny,

I've tried but every time I get out there some characters cross my line and reel me in. Grrr. I'm sick of it. So I'm thinking I'll go to where they aren't.

It's easier to get around them at Long Lake. At least they apologize there instead of joke around and laugh about it.

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 06-12-2004).]

Can you eat the fish by the CR's dam?? Isn't that part of the Mississippi? Or is that the Rum?

I was thinking bout fishing at the CR's Dam but thought that you can't eat fish out of there because its part of the mississippi.

Please clarify.

It is on the Mississippi. But why couldn't you eat fish out of there? Personally, I don't keep fish because I'm a vegetarian. But plenty of people do keep and eat fish out of there.

I was told by the dnr that the water in that stretch of the mississippi was cleaner than most of the metro lakes (i.e. lake minnetonka, medicine, and others) so eating fish out of there isn't bad. Especially since people eat the fish out of all of thoose lakes and think nothing of it. I guess downriver of the cities it is a little different but people go down to red wing all the time and catch tons of eye's and eat them and they don't have flippers or anything so I would assume its ok.
><>deadeye

Check out the MN DNR website. They have consumption info and contamination info on most rivers and lakes in Minnesota. Just go to the "DNR Search" area in the upper right corner and type in "fish consumption".

www.dnr.state.mn.us

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 06-13-2004).]

I eat 'em out the Missy anywhere north of the channelized stretch. Until ya get into the cities the river up here is subject to the same enemies as the rest of our waters...air-born crud that comes down in the rain, and agricultural run-off. I know the 'eyes I got at Little Falls Dam were oh-so-yummy! grin.gif

Peace,
Rob