• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River is still there!!!

Aquaman01

Aaaahhhhh - that felt good. Really, really good. It's been a long winter! Aquaman and AquaOffspring hit our favorite Monticello spot today for Rock Bass and anything that would take a crawler.

9 Carp
2 Rock Bass
3 Goldeye (they is in heavy pre-spawn feeding mode..cut-bait fans)
3 Cats
3 Smallies (accidentally, of course)
1 Conservation Officer...right on time. I think I must have a beacon embedded under my skin. It's not even April, yet. wink.gif

Ahhhhhhhh.

good to hear of some active fish. I was out once last weekend for a little while on the stretch between Becker and Clearwater. Had bottom rigs with corn and that berkely carp candy. didnt have any luck. what kind of depth were you in? Most importantly where did you get the crawlers?

Did you get in trouble with the CO's???

I've always been a little unsure of what kind of methods are acceptable to fish this time of year??? And for what kind of fish? I'm not the type to break the rules, I'm just trying to figure out what I can and can't fish for. I know bass are out of the question, but how can they say you are fishing for bass if you have a crappie tube or twister tail?

I've been fishing pool 2 this spring because it's open season year round, but I'm anxious to start wading the upper 'sippi - even if it's for something other than smallies!

I know worms aka crawlers and corn are OK. Like fishing for carp or cats which are year round.

If you're fishing a little twister tail and the CO sees you. I don't know what he'll say. Pool 2 is ok for whatever and same for Pool 3. What about Pool 4 though?

I think it's up to that particular CO, but I don't know for sure. There is a DNR guy that reads our posts and is a member here. It's smallie something or other. Biglakeba$$ knows him though. Maybe get in touch with him?? Or email the DNR and ask.

Big mike and others. First of all I am a fish geek not a CO. I love to fish period. I have fished below the dam at St. Cloud using the ice fishing techniques for cats. I still haven't gotten any cats this sprng but the rock bass are a blast. My son and I caught about a dozen this past weekend. My son also caught an eel pout. Kindof cool for him he said "thats a new species for me". Needless to say there are techniques and areas of the river that you can catch (and target) other species besides bass, walleye and northern. Obviously common sense prevails on the interpretation of "how you are fishing".
This same discussion was brought up in the Bass forum. If you are doing a legitimate technique for carp/cats/redhorse and you start getting onto species you are not supposed to, it is up to you to change location, presentation, or technique. Any CO that sees you catching a species out of season will likely question your intent, its there job to do so. Thankfully we have some dedicated COs that are willing to watch. There are far too many folks that are willing to bend the rules. My .02

So I should've play hookie and went with ya then huh? Maybe next time bro the season awaits us. Give in a jingle this weeked if you wanna get out.

Activity was good. The CO did a quick license check, almost laughed at my jokes, and then asked how fishing was. There have been other times that he has been much more thorough.

The Rock Bass and Smallies came from beneath and the upstream-side of visible wooden structure (dock or logs) with a bigger crappie minnow on a bare hook & splitshot.
This is the same presentation and spots I have pulled spring Crappies & Rock Bass from at this location. No conflict there.

The Suckers, Carp and Cats responded to a 1/2 crawler on a circle hook and 1/2 oz. slip-rig. The Carp hit it on the fast side of a current cut during daylight, and the Sucker (gravel bottom) and Cats(silty eddy-bottom) hit it on the slower side of the current cut during twilight.
4'-6' or so of water.

Something of note, though - even though the water was murky (18" visibility) our best lines were the ones with flourocarbon leaders (6lb. P-Line) on a braided (Power-Pro or Tuff-Line) main.

The crawlers were purchased at the Monticello bait shop. Not too lively, but I wasn't complaining. It was the 4th place I had stopped.

Now I'm just waiting for some days in the high 60's so I can do some boat maintenance - then it's time to drag out the Rivva Po'.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 04-04-2004).]