• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Open Water

Daze Off

Signs of hope - the river is open through Elk River/Dayton and there are patches of open water to be seen as you pass over the river into St. Cloud! Not sure if this makes the smallie itch better or worse......

Daze Off

Daze,

I think it only compounds my itch to know there is accessable water out there but no fishing allowed until opener. Good thing we've got the May 1 FM get together/tourney down on Pool 4 to hold us over! I can't wait.

Did you find a partner yet? I'm teamed up with Dan Wood. We've got to get Hawgtide, Ebass, & Biglakeba$$ down there too. It's going to be an awesome time for that area.

I've got "jeffyo45" who is interested. We have exchanged e-mails and have agreed to "play it by ear" until we get a bit closer to the event. I have to say that I am not crazy about two things: lots of boat traffic/crowded fishing with the other tournament(s) and trying to compete on virgin waters for me and partner vs. guys who have fished the area before....no way I can pre-fish that spot - too far and too early. If it doesn't get any bigger than 2-3 boats I may end up passing. Would love to meet some of these guys though.

Anyway, I am headed to BPS in Springfield next Weds - Sat. for their Spring Fishing Classic and Sale. Can't wait!!! I have two full days to spend wandering around and listening to the seminars and presentations and talking to reps. That is while I am not BUYING STUFF!!! They are having a "Moonlight Madness" Sale on one of those days!

I'll worry more about the FM thing when I get back - right now I have purchases to plan! I'm arriving the night before so I can "pre-fish" the store....hehehe. I know that I'm going to get at least 2 XPS Woo Daves rods ($40 off each) - one heavier spinning (than what I already have) for skipping tubes and a 7' MH or H trigger for jigging. If I feel brave I may also buy a Curado (you know how that goes). After that I'm focusing on suspending crankbaits with some other miscellaneous stuff. I bought a pedestal for the rear of my boat identical to the one I use up front so I'll buy a matching seat while there too. This way my fishing partners for the B.A.S.S. tournaments this summer will be more comfortable. Our lakes are Deer Lake (WI)(May), Tonka, Whitefish Chain, Horseshoe Chain, Waconia, and Clearwater in that order.

The club is looking for non-boaters - interested? There are about 4-6 non-boaters already and you fish with someone different every tournament. You can fish them all and cull your worst tourney or just fish 5 and count 'em all. Seems like a pretty laid-back bunch of guys that love to have fun, compete, and share information.

Daze Off

Curious about your league, I've been looking into leagues as a non-boater, but it's going to be tough on my schedule because I'm youth pastoring now and sunday's are all tied up for me so that has limited most of the leagues out there. Plus how much are dues & tourney/big bass fees?

Let me know a little more about it, I'm still keeping my eyes open for the right fit and schedule. Although...I have been sucked into hunting for smallies after last summer and fall grin.gif

I understand about the pool 4 FM outing, that seems like a lot of boat traffic for down there, but lake pepin/pool 4 and pool 5 is a huge system and if they are launching out of lake city that is about 5+ miles up river from wabasha. I'm really excited to get out even if it's just a few boats. Plus braggin' rights for all of FM bassers grin.gif

Have a good time down in Springfield... you're making your pilgrimage to the bass mecca smile.gif I'm jealous

BigMike, what's this May 1 get together about?

I too don't know that area, so I guess I'll just follow you and Dan around wink.gif.

Maybe EBass needs a partner? I hear he knows the good spots down there. smile.gif

Hawgtide, check out the Bass Forum under "Just imagine, FM bass tourney..." or something like that.

All the info is on there. Dan Wood is helping organize it a little bit. But so far it's going to be Saturday, May 1st down on pool 4/lake pepin and a cheap $20 per team $5 optional big bass (with all the FM braggin rights!!!). I figure if we could get even 5 boats of 2 people that would be a fun FM get together and a couple extra bucks for the winner. Maybe you could hook up with Biglakeba$$ and come check it out! It's definitely an awesome strecth of the 'sippi! You basically can fish all the rip rap you could ever want up on Lake Pepin and the smallies are for sure going to be in that stuff feeding this spring!!!

Ebass sorry to hear that you can't make it...just one more ploy of yours to get out of facing the smallie (pike) magnet in a face off j/k... sort of grin.gif

Big Mike,

Our tourneys are all one-day 8 hour events that leave the landing at first light or so. They are all on Saturdays also (5/22; 6/6; 6/26; 7/17; 8/14 and 9/18).

Non-boaters get to control the boat (fishing location) for 1/2 the day and whether or not they run the trolling motor is up to individual agreement.

Top anglers (boaters or non-boaters) go to state tournament each year in Sept. Number of anglers each club sends is related to size of that club. Bigger clubs send more anglers.

Dues are $165 (for state, national, and club) plus you must have membership in B.A.S.S.. Other than that members throw in 5-10 bucks/tourney for high hook and big bass.

Hardly any money ($50 or so) to event winners but good experience before hitting the higher buck events if that is of interest.

Let me know if you want more info or are interested. I can put you in touch with the club president if you want to pursue it.

Lots of clubs all over the metro and each one is slightly different - we meet monthly in Richfield in the winter months and only for tourneys in season. Pre-fishing arrangements (if interested) are made between tourney partners or between any club members that are available during the time preceeding the event.

Daze Off