• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wading the River

BigMike

Well gentlemen. Spring is almost here and for those of you that were hoping for me to get the boat... I'm sorry to say but I settled for a pair of waders this last week. I figure, heck if I can't be cruising the water, I might as well be at least in the water!!!

Oh well, maybe in the next year or two. But at least I have a nice pair of waders to help me reach some more spots. I can't wait to put those things to use. Especially for early season bassin' down on Pool 4!

Speaking of Pool 4... How did you do this last weekend Ebass? Or did you even get out?

Let's see how long it takes Ebass to reply. I give him less than 10 minutes before he finds this thread. wink.gif

Sorry BigMike it took so long to reply smile.gif

Actually the fishing sucked. Our boat blanked. Apparently we didn't have the right color. Tonka Boy had a nice eye on for about 5 seconds. He missed a couple of bites to. But he was the only one that James gave the problue ringies to.(3 of them, all lost by snags) There were about 30 boats going all over. Up to the dam, the wingies, and the scour hole. We only saw some small sauger being taken in the washout hole. There was a pair of bald eagles that flew around all day, so that was cool. I froze my arse off! Neat place though.

I remember when I went down to pool 4 with Dan Wood for the first two hours - I was frozen!!! And it was only 40-45 degrees and warmed to 50, I can't imagine it when it is 30+ degrees. I'm just thinking about cruisin' up river at 30+mph in 30 degree weather... Burr!

But think of it this way, you at least got to make some casts. I'm chompin' at the bit to hit some open water. Especially with my new waders smile.gif I think I might have to get onto pool 2 sometime soon!

BigMike, on some 50+ degree day in April, I'll meet you down there with my boat and we'll give 'em a shot.

Sounds like a good deal to me, and if it falls during the work week, I may even have to call in "sick" with the "bass shakes"! Hopefully there will be a couple upper 40's and then a nice 50+ day. That will get those bass going for sure!

Speaking of the "shakes" they are in full swing right now. I think I go to galyans, gander, etc... at least once a week to see what deals I can find to stock up!!! I've already got a couple additional rods and reels and hopefully one more spinning combo if I can work my magic. I have been stocking up on essential gear and before you know it I'll be stocking up on my boat!!! grin.gif

How come there's a post missing? It says 5 but only 3 show.

Now they're here. Weird!

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 02-25-2004).]

I know how you feel. I've spent over $500 in the last month on fishing tackle(mostly lures). It better get here quick or I'm going to need a bigger boat to carry all these lures around.

BigMike it was friggen cold! I need some of that duofold stuff. Oh well, think spring!

Oh Pool 2 is open incase you have the shakes this weekend. It's been open since this warmer has been here.

Yeah I know, I've been driven over the 'sippi in downtown mpls and it has really opened up a lot in the last couple days and looks to even have some good shore access available. I'm thinking of trying down by lilydale area on pool 2 for any fish moving up in the deep rocks. Maybe even pool 2 by the ford dam... Are you sure that pool 2 is year round for bassin'? I just don't want to lose my gear...

Man the sporting good stores sure are on the fishing ramp-up! Galyans was destroyed out here in Woodbury yesterday just because they were re-arranging and packing the shelves!

Pool 2 is catch and release only for bass to. Both smallies and largies. It's open year round as well. Now if you can find them and catch them is another story.

I know with it being so cold that it's near impossible to get a good bite going, but I may be able to lure them out with some suspending rogues or slowly worked grubs... I've never had any luck on pool 2, but there are some new spots I've found that I want to work, especially this spring!

I know a couple of spots from shore to. I even got a 17" smallie to hit from shore on a bright yellow tube. We'll have to hook up again in a month or so. Boat or no boat. The spring walleye run is way cool to. I'll show you that spot to. It get's packed, but if you can get there early enough you can get the good spot.

I'm thinking of Pool 4 too sometime in April or early May. I've heard that the fishing down there goes off the hook the first part of May. Plus supposedly the water levels are real high that time of year and there are a lot of great backwater/woodsy areas to explore for big bass grin.gif!!! I can't wait any more!!!