• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

quickie report

Navigator

I spent the morning chasing smallies and ended up catching walleyes...oh well. The low-cold water pushed the eyes DEEEEPPP, like as in 25 to 30' deep. We used jigging spoons, cicada's and jig worms and the jigging spoons won for quality and quantity.

We didn't do to bad on the walleyes considering I was fishing blind...my flasher crapp'd out just after we hit the first hole. That's why I put an estimate of 25 to 30' deep.

I will be chasing smallies til the water temp hits the upper 40's. The walleyes at that point become the primary target. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes

Not sure...I was using my john boat and it doesn't have a temp gage. I would guess it to be around the mid-50's.

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com

Nice report navigator. I did some shore fishing last night at about 7:30 pm and had a lot of fun. I bet I only fished 20 minutes but caught 2 nice walleyes 17-19 inches and one smalley. Everything was hitting real close to shore. I was throwning a deep diving crankbait. I even had one fish splash me at shore trying to catch up to my bait. Man I love the river.

This time it was north of Royalton, but there are deep holes north of Clearwater, St Cloud and Sartell. Also, the Brainerd area. Lot's and lot's of water to explore...now if only we an infinite amount of time!! Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com

Thanks Navigator. I've done some floats from Clearwater, but didn't have electronics at the time. I was just curious how deep the river actually gets above Monticello. Anyway, fishing should get pretty hot now in October. I normally fish around the cities, but I love fishing up there in the fall. Thanks, Vern

Hey Navigator, thanks for the report. I never knew that there was water that deep on the upper stretches of the river. I've been fishing the Monti area for about 15 years but haven't ventured much north of there. I'm normally wearing waders or dodging boulders in the johnboat. Just curious, are there some deep holes north of Monticello or are you fishing above or below a dam? Thanks, Vern

Where did my fish go. No major weather changes. No pressure. Last Wednesday I hit a spot on the Mississippi from shore and in 20 minutes of throwing a crankbait I had two nice walleyes and one smallmouth. Saturday night In decide to really hittem and in two hours I caught two smallies. I tried cranks, jig & minnow, live bait bottom rig. I fished the tail of the hole the middle and the head. My experience usually tells me they don't move far. So maybe they didn't move but they certainly were not eating. Any river pros with some tips on this one?

A few years ago, I was fishing one of my best spots to no avail. NSP came up river and shocked my spot just after I moved down stream. The amount of fish that came up was un-believable. They were there, just didn't want to bite.

If someone truly figures it out, please write a book and I'll buy it.

Sunday I and a friend fished Champlin to just north of Dayton.We looked for fish deep but didn't have much luck.So upstream we went.We got half a dozen eater eyes at the head of holes in 7 to 8 feet of water,along with lots of small smallies.We found a few nice smallies at the back end of boulder fields(just upstream of the holes).Tried fishing the "pushes" but nothing was there.Jigs and minnows worked best for the eyes but the smallies were hitting Ring-n Grubs.

I fished the river Sunday near brainerd caught about 20 nice smallies. Water temps still 52-53 in the afternoon. There is no current at all and the fish are scattered.

Fished the Rum with BigMike this past Sunday. Two fish total. BigMike with a 19.5" (his personal biggest smallie) on a brown tube. And I caught a 16.5" smallie on a red/black tube. Both fish were on the sunny side of the shoreline behind cover of some sort. We missed a couple to, but it was pretty slow. Going to try the Sippi or Tonka this afternoon.

Yesterday I wasted a day of vacation. I put in at Champlin and fished for 6 hrs and caught 2 smallies and 5 northerns. I tried everything from Buzzbaits to tubes to cranksbait to spinnerbaits. I tried the riffels, deep banks, behind rocks, trees, etc. I went from Coon Rapids almost to Dayton and then went 5 miles up the rum. They just ain't biting. So far, I'm not sold on fall fishing.

Well I bumper about 1000 rocks and boulders but had a good evening! Sure is nice to have a 20 horse jet. 9 smallies, biggest was 18 smallest 15. 8 from one location, all on bare hook with minnow. Even got a nice surprise 16 inch eye. He will be fried tomorrow smile.gif.

Well I bumper about 1000 rocks and boulders but had a good evening! Sure is nice to have a 20 horse jet. 9 smallies, biggest was 18 smallest 15. 8 from one location, all on bare hook with minnow. Even got a nice surprise 16 inch eye. He will be fried tomorrow smile.gif.