• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big boat and Upper Miss

Kevin Turner

Snagger, There are several impounded waters that have good smallie fishing. One of the best is just up from the Little Falls dam.

Well if Coon Rapids/Anoka is Upper Miss, then that is a very safe for large boats.
Just dont go west of the Anoka Champlin bridge. Everything East to the dam is VERY safe.

The river S. of Little Falls is a very good stretch as well.

Good Fishing!

North of the papermill at Sartell on the east side is a nice access too. Plenty deep for quite a few miles. I havn't fished up there yet this year but I know there are plenty smallies around. Having so much fun below the dam I havn't got up there yet. Gotta do that one of these days.

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 07-23-2003).]

I have a 17' Lund with a 90 HP Merc. I was wondering where I could use it on the Upper Miss. for some small mouth fishing. Any suggestions? I've been in the Clearwater area with a small boat, and there was no way my big boat would have made it.

Thanks for the info. I live in the Metro, so the area above the Coon Rapids dam would be the easiest to get to. Does that stretch have some good fishing? If so, should I use the typical tecniques (topwater, tubes, cranks)? How is the pleasure boat traffic?

Coon Rapids/Anoka can be very good. I have not been on the river this year yet, so I have no reports to give.
I can say, in years past I have spent many hours on the river.
Mainly though, we go west of the Anoka/Champlin bridge, and fish in the Dayton area. And the only reason I ever ventured that way is because a good friend of mine grew up on the river. I would suggest not going up there unless you have don't mind motor repairs. Chances are it may be ok with the waters up, but be careful.
Pleasure boaters can be in high numbers from the bridge down to the dam, but they mainly stay in the middle of the river, and you will be fishing the shorelines. The few times I have targeted the waters down there, we trolled crank baits along the shore where possible, and casted up around trees and small eddies. Crawdad Rattlin Raps did us good once down there on the Coon Rapids side of the river. Like I say, we mainly head west though. Good luck.

snagger, If you lauch at coon rapids cast rapalas to the bridge pilings at champlin and fish the mouth of the rum river for walleye and smallies, also white tube jig for smallies on the banks, i grew up in coon rapids and have caught some amazing fish there. Also if you fall fish, use large cranks or bucktails at any falldowns for large pike. Adam

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 07-26-2003).]