• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
HT byten

navigation north of coon rapids

HT byten

never fished that part of the river and was wondering how far up from the CR dam you can travel before it gets shallow.
also from hw 101.
looking for smallies.
thanks
HT

------------------
see ya

HT,
The pool above the CR dam to the Champlain Bridge is easy traveling. Very "lake-like". I've found the best smallie action along the east bank.

Mark Christianson

You are totally safe to travel any waters from the Anoka/Champlin bridge, all the way to the Coon Rapids dam.
Once you go west of the Anoka/Champlin bridge, you are getting into rough waters depending on levels. There are 2 rock piles within 100 yds of the bridge when you head west, and if the water is low, you will hit them. I have witnessed it live when a person hit it. I would not recommend going to crazy west of the bridge. If you take your time, you can make headway, but it has some dangerous spots.

Walleye_GFA

Yuppers, just make sure you take it really slow and easy... and follow the channel... I went up past two big islands got to where it was about 3 feet all the way across and gave it up... not worht a lower unit...

Wally

EBass

Is the Sartel area easy to navigate or not really? There's a spot in Fridley that gets shallow. Got stuck on it once. Just north of the islands by the 694 bridge.

Chris-Neises

Is it possible to put in at Elk River and drift down to anoka? I'd like to fish this stretch but I'm afraid to drive upstream. Are there any rapids or anything like that that would make this impassable. I'm really unfamiliar with this area.

Chris-Neises

Are there any landings betwen Elk River and Anoka?

Mark Christianson

Yes, where the Crow dumps into the Miss.

HawgTide

Chris, I spent most of last summer drifting down that stretch of river, like you're suggesting. When the river was at its lowest last Aug-Sep, there were a few spots where you would definitly take some bumps. You could quickly end up in 6 inches of water. If you are using a jon boat, it's not that big a deal. Just jump out and push. I wouldn't try it with a heavy or fiberglass boat.

Elk River to Dayton is not that far, maybe 2-3 hours drifting when the river is low and not swift, depending if you anchor and fish some of the hot spots. A good 6-8 hour trip is Monticello to Elk River. Lots of good holes and several small rapid areas where the smallies congregate.

I got tired of the one way trips and bought a Jet in September. Makes life easier.

Mark Christianson

You have 2 options.
Jet drive or an old boat that you don't mind getting dented up.

It is pretty much dangerous water to anyone unfamiliar with the area.

I have fished the Miss for a lot of years, and only been on that upper stretch a couple times, and your looking for trouble if you try to get to fancy.

A float trip is the way to go, but it is a long ways.