• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi by Champlain v.s. by Monticello

erikwells

Which stretch of river do I have a better shot at catcing some Walleyes? I have an itch that can only be scratched by catching some eyes.

The water near Champlain is deeper and of course slower moving. I mostly fish for the smallies and catch a walleye occasionally. For me the stretch of water further north usually produces a few more eyes.
The bad news is sometime in the next few weeks they open the dam in Coon Rapids and there goes the good fishing in that stretch of water and when the water cools and the color goes out of the water it gets really tough to find any fish in the river. That's when I start getting my Ice Fishing gear ready.

Saturday morning I am going to fish the Monticello stretch. Can't wait I will let you know how I do. Thanks for the response.

I don't think my response made it earlier. Forgive me is this is redundant. Fished the Mississippi in Monticello on Saturday 8:00 am to noon. We caught eight smallies the biggest was three lbs and one catfish about 5lbs. All fish caught just north of the access but south of the bridge. We drifted jigs and fatheads. We missed a ton of bites where they were grabbing the minnow tail and tearing it off our hooks. Maybe we should have put on some stingers. We had a really good time. Doe's anyone know which direction to go to the powerplant? I have heard that area is good eye fishing.

If you launch at Montisippi Park go upstream.I have never fished the hole where the discharge comes out(someone always seems to be there)but I have had very good luck just upstream of the plant on the left hand side(heading upstream).There is a hole that they hold near the tail of at times.I have also had good luck just downstream of the trailer park.You will find some eyes along the rocky part of the bank and in the tail of the hole.

Fishead, there is a park right on the Northside of 25 right after crossing the bridge. However there is not a landing there. I went south about 1/2 mile and launched there. It is a shallow landing. Also when I went north as I got closer to the bridge I was hitting about 2 feet of water so I stopped there as to avoid hitting my prop. Is there a landing North of the bridge? I am just learning the nuances of river fishing. The rivers just have so much to offer in terms of variety of species. I really love hooking a fish and then straining to see it as soon as possible to identify what I have hooked. I think my fishing partners may have been better served trying a lindy on Saturday. We missed so many bites due to the fish just grabbing the tail. Thanks and I will be sure to share any new knowledge that I learn in my future outings. Thanks

I know the little park your talking about and have launched there.It is a little shallow under the bridge but there is usually a channel you can get through.Just follow the fastest water and go slow.Kind of easy for me to say since I run a jet anyway. smile.gif
The trailer park is actually downstream of Montissippi park and upstream of the 25 bridge.The river grows a little wider and there is a deep hole.You will see a private landing for the trailer park/campgrounds.Fish the rocky shoreline below the landing.What has worked for me is trolling shad raps or pulling spinners.Look for current pushing against the shorline and a sharper drop.Key in on these areas.
The spot above the power plant is above the deep bend and on the left side and near the most upstream side of the island.The hole runs crosswise with the island and tails out on the right hand side of the river.It is only about 7 to 9 feet deep at the deepest.It is also very good for smallies when they are mid river and not on the banks.The way I have fished it is pulling spinner/bait rigs around the hole or anchoring at the tail and casting jigs or cranks upstream.Try to find the sharpest rise at the tail of the hole and concentrate your casts there.
With all this talk about this section of the river I am getting a jones to get back there!

Fishead, thanks for your reply. As in realestate fishing is about location. I think I will have to give the trailer park hole a run this weekend. I have a list of projects longer than my arm but my wife can't be too upset being fishing is what keeps me sane. You sure seem to have a knack for the rivers. I appreciate you sharing with those (myself) that are not experienced fishing the rivers. I really think I am hooked on the river fishing. The lakes towards my neck of the woods (Elk River) tend to be really busy. And few have significant populations of walleye. Saturday we had the river almost to ourselves. We saw two other boats in 4 hours. Both boats headed north under the bridge. There was one rig that was a true riverboat. I think the brand was 'RIVERBOAT' olive color I believe it either had a jet or inboard. The two guys in it were cruising under the bridge with no fear of the rocks (I was a little jealous). I have a little red 14 foot lund with a Evinrud 9.9 and a bowmount trolling motor. Be sure to say hi if you see me out fishing (try not to swamp me with you big river rig). Thanks again.

I think what you saw was a RiverPro.Nice boat!I know a guy who has one and he really likes it.My river rig is a small jon(15ft) with a Merc outboard jet.Its no speed demon but gets me places that most can't.And I can launch it pretty much anywhere.Its good to go small sometimes.
You have to love fishing small rivers.Peace and quiet!and the fishing is great!The only thing I miss when fishing on a river is the bikini parade!You do know why a fishermans sunglasses lens wraps all the way around?So if you are with your wife you can still sneak a peak at that pretty girl going by! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 10-02-2002).]

Fishhead, are we related? Are you my second brother that I was somehow seperated from? Fishing has so much to offer; nature, quiet and if your lucky the bikini parade. A quick question for you how far down the river is the trailer park hole from the access just below the 25 bridge? Also if I have one shot at it this weekend should I try a.m. or p.m?

The trailer park is above the 25 bridge.If you do not want to go under the bridge launch at the Montisippi park.I have only fished the area during the day.Its about an hour drive for me and I don't get up too early. smile.gifI do think it would be pretty good either morning or evening.

• 1 month later...

There are warning signs out now as far as fishing the discharge. These came out after sept. 11, so i would not reccomend fishing there. They will prosecute so just to let you know

Smallmouthking

I live in the Monticello area and fished right out from the Nuclear Power Plant at least 10 times this past summer. They will not prosecute you for fishing out by the discharge. The only way they would prosecute you is if you were walking around the shoreline near the discharge or inlet. The signs were actually there before September 11th.

• 2 weeks later...

riverrunner, what i meant to say was these new set of signs were put up in and across the river after sept. 11, 01. they were not there untill after the terrorist attacks. these signs specifically say no stopping or anchoring. Now I haven't tried to fish there since so I have no idea how they enforce there regulations. take care