• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How do you clean a goose?

WillowWaldo

Most of the time I just breast them out. Unless someone wants to roast one then I will pick it and leave the skin on. I turn most of my goose into jerky and use the ducks for cooking/grilling.

I don't know...I always make my buddies do the cleaning!!!!! ha ha. Actually breasting them is by far the easiest. I've done the plucking when I know that I want to roast it, but it is a pain. I have also skinned them out and roasted them in an oven bag. Just remember...if you are field dressing them you have to leave a wing attached. The best though is still making your buddies do it. I prefer the pretend you are still putting decoys/working on equipment method!

lt

I'm with duckbill, pull the skin back and filet the breast off the bone, jerky is the only way I can eat them.

Well I usaully breast them out, unless I want to roast one. To the guys who only like the jerky, if you marintate the breats in something acidic, coke, orange juice, buttermilk for a few hours, it takes the gamey tast right out and they actauly taste like steak.

Cut the breast in half or thirds depending on the size. Butterfly these steaks, stuff with red and yellow peppers. Wrap with bacon and grill for about 20 minutes. Excellent steak that often tastes very close to beef. Still working on a chicken that tastes like everything else.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

I guess breasting them is easier but I still like to pluck and clean mine. Taking away the skin takes most of the flavor away. For those that think goose taste gamey why hunt them hunt something else or go fishin. I guess I grew up old style the first time I filleted fish gramps cussed and swore at me in norwegian on how I was wasting good fish and grabbed the carcase of fish went to house and we had fish stew for dinner. My cousin made the mistake of breasting a goose in gramps garage one time later, I knew better. I just like mine with the skin on baked in the oven with some wild rice. It is a waste to just take the breast, a waste that has become socially aceptable. I know don't even start I hear it from my buddies all the time that the little bit of meat just ain't worth the time.

------------------
Goosin now but Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

Usually cut up the meat into cubes and soak changing the water throughout the day. Then drain the water and try to get out as much moisture as possible. Then grind it up and add seasoning.I use the Northwoods(or whichever has the deer on it) packets from Gander. Then use a Jerky shooter and make sticks in the oven. I will also take some geese and slice the breast meat when partially frozen, easier to get consistent and thin strips, and marinate in same packet mix and dehydrate it. Both work great except the dehydrator is a pain to clean!

I breast them out. Then I let cut them up into about 1" cubes. Soak the cubes in Italian salad dressing for a day. Take the cubes, wrap a chunk of bacon around it, stick it with a toothpick and grill on the Weber until the bacon is done. Takes about 5 minutes or so. Goose-K-Boobs. They're great!!!!!!!!

Sunday went over to my brothers to goose hunt, for supper we had the legs/thighs from the four geese that he had shot the day before, he had roasted them slow in gravy and mushrooms with plenty of moisture, we ate it over potatoes - excellent!!!

The guys he hunts with don't want to 'bother' with the legs, so he harvests them - theres quite a bit of meat on them - and ends up having some excellent eating.

This 'throwing the legs away' is the same with pheasants, I know lots of guys that throw the legs - "too stringy"- but that thigh/shank meat from a pheasant is as good as it gets in a roaster and seems like a waste to throw away.

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 09-07-2004).]

If I'm just breasting it out, I pluck the feathers from the breast, then make a cut from the top of the breast by the throat all the way down to the bottom of the breast but just cut deep enough to break the skin. Then I pull back the skin and carve out the two breast chunks.

try this
get a big pot of water and boil it. put in a little Comet cleanser. when the water is boiling, dunk the goose in several times to wet the feather good. then just run your hand down the goose and the feathers fall right off. it works trust me