• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shooting hens

This is just a brain fart here but would any one out there be willing to put down a dollar for every Hen they shoot ??????????
The whole idea would be if you shoot a hen you pony up a dollar(this takes honest people) and all of the dollars collected would go to the MWA for projects of building hen houses or woooduck boxes or whatever the MWA thinks is the right place for it to go.
I will admit that I shoot a few every season.( of course we always try not to shoot them) and you are not a bad person if you do.
Just a thought.
If you all decide this is a good idea all of the guys that hunt with me will be put on the bill if the shoot one. (guide rules)
This goes for Mallards, redheads,canvasback, bluebills, wood duck and pintails
MWA BIG DUCKS chapter is going to put up a framed sponsor print. Everyone who is involved will have there name thrown in to a hat for a drawing for the print.

[This message has been edited by jblabsnduck (edited 08-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by jblabsnduck (edited 08-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by jblabsnduck (edited 08-26-2004).]

Count me in. I don't try to shoot them, but lets face it, it happens. Sounds like money toward a good cause. Have fun with it. Its usually a case of beer in our group anyway, whats one more buck?

For all the $$ I've spent at the annual DU banquet I'm paid forward on 100's of hens. Having said that I only shot 4 hens all last year. DU used to have a nickle fund for hunters who shot hens, but that was many, many years ago.

If you play, you should pay. Thats my theory.

PJ

So are you in TV BOY?
MWA BIG DUCKS chapter is going to put up a sponsor framed sponsor print. Everyone who is involved will have there name thrown in to a hat for a drawing for the print.

For a second there I thought you were talking hen Pheasants shocked.gif (My brain fart..duck forum not pheasant!)

With a early opener it could be difficult with those young green heads.

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 08-24-2004).]

TV BOY, It could be but just think you will be giving back to the resource. What is the worst that could happen opening weekend? You owe $4?

that would be a whole lot cheaper than my last DU banquet! Lets just say don't drink and participate in a live auction grin.gif

It's all for the ducks!

After season starts you just post up if you owe anything after every week. So on Monday you would post that lets say you owe $2. I will keep a running tally of all involved. So far we have about 30 people in on it.
Season is done I will let you know where to send the money to and how much your final total is.

Im in, even though ill be broke by the end of the season.

I'd probably be broke too, other than I won't likely go that much, so won't shoot that many birds anyway. As long as somewhere there'll be a post to remind us to list what we owe, sign up bigbucks as well.

I love to hunt ducks, just not as much as I love to bowhunt...

Bigbucks, that is why you need to stick a deer opening weekend. I am a huge bowhunter also. I have never in my life raised a gun to a deer. I always end up sticking 2 or 3 every season and one of them being opening day for the last 7 years.
I will post a reminder every monday.
good luck on upcoming season Sept 18th

• 4 weeks later...

jblabsnduck, I know on the deer thing. I think you already know I stuck a nice 8 pointer Tuesday night. I might hunt ducks a little harder being I already got my buck, but lots of does to shoot. I am really looking forward to duck hunting this year.

I've shot several deer in the first week of season, 3 on opening weekend, but not as consistent as you,7 years is pretty impressive. I believe I've shot at least 2 bow deer every year from 97 to now, except 1 year where I only got one. Unfortunately I shoulder bladed a buck that year & lost him. I still like to gun hunt though, lot of fun hunting with my extended family, lot of BS spread around. Not to mention how many times I get soaked driving swamps for them...

By the way what does jblabsnduck stand for? I'm assuming it some concuction of initials with duck hunting, jb labs-n-duck.

You got it right, It is the intials of my first and last name along with what I live for- labs and ducks.
My streak was broken this year. I didn't stick one. I could have got a nice doe last night but she had a very small fawn with her. I guess you could say I had a heart last night.
I saw your buck picture, nice one. 185 wow that isn't bad.
You ever want to hook up for some duck hunting just let me know.
I didn't mean to sound like gun hunter are lower than me. I just ment it as it was said- I have never raised a gun to one. I have buddies that gun hunt and we give each other a lot of **** .
BTW if you want to hunt with me you will be held to the $1 rule on hens.

[This message has been edited by jblabsnduck (edited 09-23-2004).]

Yes, that's probably farther then I want a go. Sounds like I'm going up to the DL area in a week to do some hunting & fishing with Paceman. Will hunt around here until then. Thanks for the offer, welcome to hunt ducks here to, but most of spots aren't what you'd call prime.

You are correct. Years ago, I think in the 40's or 50's, DU had a can about the size of today's pop can where you deposited a nickel for each hen you shot. By today's standard that nickel would be a couple of bucks. Then you mailed the money in to DU. It's a darn good idea what MWA is doing. Hopefully we all try not to shoot hens but it happens and like the other guy said you're not a criminal for doing it but it's nice to give a little back.
At our camp we have a jar when the person that shoots a hen drops a $1.00 then the money is given to the local DU chapter.
Again be safe, enjoy and good luck

Foot, just to let you know, this is not MWA driven it is MWA members driven(or non-members in a couple cases). Anyone can take part.

Well where do you hunt around? I'm in Long Prairie, which is 20 miles North of Sauk Centre or about 25 East of Alexandria.

I didn't think you were ripping on gun hunting, just saying it's a lot of fun. I started going with when I was 10 or 11, probably went with to pick up deer as young as 8. Our party would alway meet for breakfast at "the farm" at 5am & verify where everyone was going to sit & make plans for meeting for drives, etc. The hunters would all go out then & we'd have to sit around until 6:30 to wait for the local TV station to start broadcasting & then watch cartoons until 9, before we could go meet them. We used to go half crazy waiting for 9:00 to come. It was my grandparents house & I think my Grandma was about dying for 9 to come to get us outside.

Big Bucks,I mainly hunt SW MN. out around Ivanhoe and Canby. That might make a long trip for you but the offer is always open.

JB Count me in, with all the moaning and groaning out there it is great to read a positive post. You won't get much of my money, but its your for the asking.

Norsk Fisker, I got you down.

Any one else???????????????

It is for the ducks people.
I know we all try not to shoot the hens but lets face it, it does happen.
Just think, if you only shoot 5 hens all season your name still goes in the drawing for the sponsor print.(as long as you pay your $5)

[This message has been edited by jblabsnduck (edited 09-24-2004).]