• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN Lawsuit

walleyewacker

Smalls... I don't think the issue is of license caps, price and/or amount of days on a license. As sportsmen we can all live with and understand those... but when we purchase our license at a fee 7X's higher than a resident, shouldn't it at that point give us the same privledges? I think the biggest problem is excluded days. 1st week is all yours, no hunting on state land on pheasnt opener etc, etc. Don't kid yourself, your fellow ND's would be raising h*ll if Minnesota cut out say, the fishing opener though the 1st of June to give us a fair crack at our walleye, or we cap our non-res licenses at say 30,000. Can't fish at your cabin that year? Oh well, Res. have priority. Where my cabin is, at least 30% are owned by people from NoDak. Funny thing is when I bring up the hunting issue with them they think it's fair, but if I say what if roles were reversed and MN said no-way to Non-Res. fishing the 1st 2 weeks, or a lottery or cap, the wing nuts start to come off. That's a bunch of BS they say, we own the cabin, pay taxes, there's more walleye than ducks, they aren't going anywhere like ducks etc. etc. Seems to me I can rebutt everyone of their arguments, but it wouldn't do any good, they WANT THEIR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO! If the argument boils down to Residents getting a better crack at the resource as you say, I wouldn't even have to argue any of their points. I know a lot of NoDaks come to MN to deer hunt too. What if we excluded the opener and say the week before (rut) so we can have a crack at all our bucks first. See how endless this becomes? You buy your license, and everyone follows the same rules, dates and laws... period. That's the way it should work.

It's unfortunate that I have voted with my pocketbook... too bad! I did enjoy going to your state. Some of the nicest people I've met were the farmers in NoDak. But I've moved on... a little clue to everyone else... they aren't the only state with ducks! I agree MN is pathetic at best, but try SoDak, Nebraska, Kansas, Saskatchewan, Manitoba... they all have great hunting and great rural folks!

I think the issue with the Residents of NoDak isn't so much the fact that Non-Resident hunters are out hunting their state... it is with the outfitters gobbling up the land. Why go after non-resident hunters? Go after the outfitters, make their licenses miserable to get and that should cut out a good portion of them. Or go after the farmers who are leasing or selling them the land. Can't do that tho', wouldn't be P.C., everyone argues that's O.K. for them to do that as they need the money, right? If the farmers wouldn't turn over their lands to outfitters, no posting, more land to hunt, pressure spread out etc. etc. seems like the root to the problem. Believe me 26,000 non-res. hunters is not that many when you consider the size of NoDak. It boils down to land being gobbled up, and that's no good for any sportsman!

Good Luck! I hope you didn't take offense to anything in my post... just my rebuttal!

Labs

Lots of heat brewing here.........

Too bad..........

We are all (hopefully) sportsmen and sportwomen.

However, the prime point is that a state is taken personal control of harvesting a "federal" controlled bird.

As the general point was made about Minnesota not having the proper "habitat" to support the waterfowel, that's fine......Walleyes taste much better.

Again, with the motion that ND has generated, you don't just smile and says THANKS NEIGHBOR, NOW COME ON OVER TO YOUR LAKE HOME AND SUCK UP OUR RESOURCES, WHILE YOU ATTEMPT TO CONTROL AND KEEP YOURS TO YOURSELF.

Again, shut down the border, I don't care! Who does care.........A tiny percentage of unfortuante (and yes, I do feel their pain) duck hunters who own land and can't hunt it.

Fine! No problem............

Just shut down MN fishing opener til July 1st to ND residents and only let them deer hunt the last two days of November..........

Works for me........Got to keep it on the level, right.

Point is, ND has taken steps not only to control the bird hunting out of greed, but has taken steps to damage relations of the two states.

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

The one thing the ND Res's have on their side are the resort owners in this state. The resort operators will and probably are screaming bloody murder that we(Minn) would be hurting them finacially if we were to raise the Non Resident Lic fee, close seasons, etc. Ever been up to LOW/Detroit Lakes? lots of ND vehicles with ND plates, I say S$#@w'em, theres other places to go, see how the folks in ND like it. heh, they got Devils lake.

And I always thought north dakota was a province of canada(after all---they have the same greedy attitude)! LOL

What about non-resident land owners? Even though you own land in ND, that perhaps has been in the family, you can only hunt a part of the season. Having a seasonal cabin in MN you can fish all year long. What realy gets the goat of both groups is that they don't get a voice or vote in the state that they don't reside.

Fishing and hunting can't be directly compared in my opinion. There is C&R to keep the fisheries going. The only C&R for birds is a missed shot (shoot and release)

Should they be able to vote because they own land?

I dont agree with ND hunting laws in regards to restricting "prime" times, or any times for that matter to residents or NRs.
I dont agree with haveing to purchase MN fish house licenses and thier removal times. I also dont agree that non residents cannot spear northerns in MN.
A lot of western states and Alaska have some really strict and expensive regs applyed to NRs. I'm not sure what they are exactly, but I know they exist.
Does WI have any "goofy" laws that NRs may feel are wrong? Living here, I guess I never gave it much thought! I may have "opened" a door here for some cheap shots....But without haveing to research WI NR regs, I'm curious.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 03-20-2004).]

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic and some good debate,
I agree with the folks who are saying let's do something about our habitat, how about all of you lake owners restoring your shorelines! It's not just the farmers all the time, they did the draing things decades ago when NOBODY knew any better. Shame on you lake shore owners who are ripping out the cattails and bullrushes because they are unsightly and bad to swim in. Guess what uses those cattails and bullrushes? DUCKS nest there in the spring and eat there in the fall or at least they used to. FISH used to spawn there. Also, emergent vegetation slows down wave action so your shorelines want erode away. instead of putting in rip-rap which has really no benefit to anything wild, try putting the vegetation back that was there when you got there!

Also, N.D. shouldn't be able to do this for one simple reason. waterfowl are a MIGRATORY species. deer, moose, fish, elk, etc. should be left to the state to manage and the residents should have first crack at them whichever state it is. now if the state has a lot of them for instance like MN's deer, then let the NR's in and hunt them (with higher license fees of course), however if it's a lower population like MN moose, then the Residents should be allowed priority

I agree with everyone on the N.R. licenses in MN, way to cheap