• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

are 31/2" worth it?

Are 3 1/2" worth the extra money? Do they outperform 3"ers that much? Only a few models have overbored barrels, so arent you basically puting a 10 ga load down a 12ga barrel?

I don't think there is much difference in a 3 1/2" load. Shot them for a couple years and now I'm back to 3" heavi-shot. That stuff really performs! If you go with the 3 1/2's, 3 1/2" #1's I found to be the best steel load out there for ducks, 3 1/2" BBB for geese.

Good Luck! Ken

I don't see much use for them. I shoot 2 3/4, and 3" in heavi-load. I can kill just as many things as a 3 1/2. although 3 1/2 would be nice for those long shots on geese. They are a little much on ducks.

The first time I ever noticed a real difference was when we were out snow geese hunting. You could really tell a difference when they are up there a ways. But 75% of the time a 3" would probably perform about the same.

all i use on ducks are 3 1/2 winchester dry lock #2's .every one i hunt with all ways said it was too much for ducks but after years of listening to me harrass them about the clean op shots they all swithed to 3 1/2 's

The only thing that 3 1/2's do in my opinion is promote sky busting. Yes, you can kill ducks further out and in the hands of good shooters it can give you an edge...but...as we all know, not everyone can shoot well. People see the guy accross the lake drop a bird at 75 yards up and then they think they can do it too, even though luck probably had more to do with it than the load they were shooting.

I personally shoot 2 3/4's and have killed many, many ducks with no problem. Why? Because I let em get within 30 yards or less before I even consider pulling up.

If we all did that, we'd have less cripples, less skittish birds, and better hunting for everyone.

I use 2 3/4" magnums on ducks and phesants and 3" on geese and I get as many birds as others shooting 3" at ducks and 3 1/2" at geese. Just purchased a new Beretta last fall and stayed with the 3" chamber. Also you will spend much less money on shells.

You guys can shoot those crippling 2 3/4" shells. I've seen too many puffed pillows keep on flying with 3" shells!
Why limit yourself with weeney shells when you have just about the same power as a 10 guage in 3 1/2" 12 guage to ensure clean kills!
Since I started using 3 1/2" shell in high-velocity cripples are rare and grave-yard-dead shots are the rule.
So why limit yourself to inept steel that can't perform like the high-velocity 3 1/2" shells.
Don't be cheap when it comes to shot shells.
Spend the couple extra dollars to compliment the rest of your big buck guns, boats, decoys!

Let me tell ya Finlander...
When you let em in close, it doesnt matter what you are shooting. We loose very few birds and 99% of the time shoot em dead.

Besides, I like roasted duck, not duckburger grin.gif

TV Boy hit it pretty much. If your shooting 3" BB's at 1500 fps and your buddy is shooting 3 1/2" BB's at 1500 fps all he is gaining is more pellets in the pattern but the downrange efficiency,I believe, should be equal.
Personally I shoot 3 1/2" BBB's at geese and 3" 4's at ducks. Now that they have the speed up to 1550 on the 4's they are a flat out duck killing load, when steel first came out not so much as they were too light for the slow speed. I love the flat out punch of the goose loads. You still need them in close. I'll stretch out to 40yds but prefer under.

esoxmn - what are you chasing? I love my SX2 I hunt alot of geese and may chase turkeys so I figured why not get the 3 1/2 and have my options open. I can still shoot light trap loads all the way up to the big loads.

I like my 870 3&1/2 for waterfowl because I use the high velocity loads. You can get the same shot loads as the 3in. , but move it faster. When you're swatting geese, the velocity and penetration really help to get clean kills. For ducks, I still carry 3in. loads.

Are they worth the extra money?
I would have to say it depends who is shooting them. On average you get about 1/4 ounce more steel, which is about 50 pellets (#2). For a good shot, they make cleaner kills. However, those few extra pellets can make a shot thay would have missed - count. That's where Tom has a very valid point that people think that with a few more pellets they will hit more birds. Speed is about the same as the 3" so down range knockdown power of a 3 1/2 is no better. The pattern will be denser down range which helps.
The sky busting is another topic that gets me worked up mad.gif

Know your limits, not the limits of your weapon.

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-28-2004).]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had heard that a 4-10, 16, 20 and a 12 guage will all shot the same distance, the only diffrence would be the pattern density. I also heard, but not seen, that you could get a 3" shotshell with just about the same pellet count as a 3-1/2" load. Does any of this sound right?

They will go the same distance only if they leave the guns at the same velocity. Not all shells are created equal. Most 12 ga mags will have higher velocities therefore travel farther. Basic physics D=VT (distance = velocity x Time ) Some 20 ga rounds have higher velocities than 12 ga and therefore their fewer pellets would go farther down range. It all depends on amount of shot and amount of powder.

I'm sure one could find equal pellet counts for 3 or 31/2.. if so I would imagine the velocity would be higher in the 3 1 /2 due to more powder.

Most shell companies now list velocities on the box. This is better information vs. drams of powder in regards to energy and distance.

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-29-2004).]

Well boys, I have shot both and Ill stick with 3in. I have buddies that prefer 3in and others that like 3.5. There is a lot to consider when choosing. 3.5 is a longer reciever,heavier,more expensive [gun and ammo], and some dont like to eject light trap loads [browning Auto JUNK ]. I like to see their eyes inflate as we are poppin up from the cattails. The Closer the Deader. Thats what hunting should be about. Effective decoy spreads, truly fooling the birds, respect for the critter and habbitat, passing on tradition, ethics and at the end of the day, Duck Feed! Im not buyin all this crap about the 3.5s. If I really need more power, the 10ga is the only way to go. And I do know that confidence has alot to do with it. I like short,light, fast swinging guns, gas operated. From the duck boat to the rooster field. But an O/U is my fav. Now Im saving for a new one, they are sweet! Anyway, just my thoughts. Thanks, Rookie

They money one could save by getting the 3" vs the 3 1/2 you could shoot a lot of hevishot or bisthmuth. Those loads will fold 'em.
I love to shoot my o/u at ducks. The only problem is that I don't want to ruin it, so when it's down and dirty the benelli synthetic comes out.

TV Boy. Thanks, kindda intresting, good point about the $$$ you save by buying a 3" could buy alot of HeviShot...

I have a Red Label 12 guage, I love it, but I would like to sell it and get a more general purpuse gun (SX2 or a SBE) for the same reason you switch guns when you go duck hunting.

I'm young and married, therefore I am poor and can only have 1 gun. I have never even thought about getting a 20 guage, untill reading this, I think I will definatly have to do some more research into this. Maybe a 20 guage wouldn't be all that bad, If you can hit the birds in the first place...

Gotta love the 3.5's that is why they where almost sold out 4 days before opener at gander minnetonka..... 3.5" SBE best gun i have every owned. go with the 3.5" gun, you can always shoot the 3's if you want with the 3.5 but you cant shoot 3.5's with the 3inch gun. as tim allen says HOHOHOHOO more power..

Hooch, If you could only have one gun I think I would have to go with a 12ga. I say this after only having a mossberg 20 ga for 13 years before my 1st 12 ga auto. I understand your reasons for 1 gun.....
If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy grin.gif
Good luck in your decision.

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-30-2004).]

I use 3” BBB’s for geese. I mean on offense to anyone but if you have to use 3 ½” shells you should either practice your shooting or practice your calling so they get closer.
The best part of goose hunting for me is watching them set there wings, spread there feet and enter the point of no return.

Crusher

Try shooting 50-60 yard snow geese and after a while you wish you had an 8 guage!
Why underpower yourself?
This year i'll be shooting 12ga. 3.5" 1 3/4oz #2 and "B" size heavy shot at dem'der snows!
I recently read of some person patterning his gun using #2 heavyshot at 60 yards.
He placed the pattern paper on 3/4" plywood and to find out the pellets went clear through the plywood!
Now at that range and that velocity I want all the pellets possible to have a good pattern. And 3.5" shells are the only way to go!
If you pass shoot snow geese which is what most hunter do, you would be lucky to have them under 40 yards, with 50-60 being the norm!
As far as i'me concerned keep those pee shooters home and save them for grouse hunting.

I have an 870, 3&1/2 in. and I think its great for waterfowl. I use 3 in. loads for ducks, but geese take a lot more killing. I like the BBB high velocity loads for honkers, that extra velocity makes for cleaner kills. When I hunt Lac Que Parle, where you're only allowed to bring in six shells, I use 3&1/2 in. high velocity tungsten loads. High buck but heck, its only once a year. As for the 3&1/2 guns being longer, the action on my supermag is the same length as my 28 gauge skeet 870.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Franchi 20 gauge for duck hunting and my friends make fun of me, but i have shot more ducks and pheasants than they have seen in there life. i am only 19 and have been hunting all my life and people get too caught up on killing things. my dad taught me it's about the sport. I when we go out to ortonville, MN,we don't even shoot at ducks unless they are decoying in. you don't need a 10 gauge 3 1/2 in to shoot geese. i have killed geese with my 20 while duck hunting with three shot. if you can shoot you can shoot.it shouldn't be about who can kill the most at 65yards.

Lot being said here...I love my SBE with 3.5 Winchester Supremes (#3 shot of course) the 50 days or so that I'm in the blind each of the past 4 seasons. My concern is this though: What about the recoil involved? I'm starting to think it's a bit more than I first realized. This upcoming season I may just put that roman candle in as the third shell with two 3"ers in front of it. In doing so, I may increase the odds of many more doubles (and triples) dues to much less "barrel jump." Any thoughts?

I think this is interesting, my two cents, decoying ducks to under 30 yards should be the rule for shooting ducks, but is often the exception. I still shoot a 3" 20 ga, and kill as many as my dad with a 3" 12, faststeel is key.
Goose hunting, I think 20 ga is too light, the bigger the better, but you still have to get them close and Hit them.
The thrill for me is seeing the feet hanging and wings cupped after giving them the money call, patience is key many time you could take the 50 yrd shot but if you are confident in reading ducks and calling you can suck em inside 30 yds and KILL them with a pea-shooter.
Back on track...why not use the 3.5....shoot 3 inchers at ducks and bulk up a bit for the geese when they come in.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like the 3 1/2 inch with BBB loads for snow geese. I'm not promoting sky blasting. With the proper choke tube and alot of practice, 60 yard shots on geese are very deadly.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

I shoot a 3 1/2" Mossberg, and it's just nice to have the option of the 2 3/4",3", or 3 1/2" depending on the conditions. If your geese and ducks are dropping in on you under 30 yards, the smaller load is often better. But I still like my 3 1/2"ers for them late season geese. A pattern master choke tube also makes a big difference...
but there's definately no need for skybusting... like previously stated... know your limits, not your weapon's.

Hunt hard, or stay in bed.