• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

helping disabled hunters

i hope this isn't a touchy subject and i mean all of this with a kind heart, so here goes.........

i have an area where i hunt that is very hunter, or handicap hunter friendly. my hunting partners and myself would like to open this spot to those who might have a difficult time reaching most places.

my question is, does anyone know of organizations, or people that i can talk to who can get me pointed in the right direction? this spot won't be available this year but i would like extend invitations for next year. any help would be great.

thanks for the help everyone.......loc9

I bet the DNR could point you to a few groups. I thought I read somewhere they opened two wheelchair accessible blinds in Carlos Avery. Maybe call the Superintendant there.

Here are a couple I found with a few min. of searching on the net:

http://www.capablepartners.org

Capable Partners
P.O. Box 27664
Golden Valley, MN 55427-0664

By Phone: (763)542-8156
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.uslink.net/~daryl/

This other one above is for MN Broken Wing.

http://www.grovergear.com/id21.htm

Is where I got this info.\

Just an FYI.... My back hurts. I have 14% disability in it. (hint-hint) Just kidding, Hasnt hurt me in years. I wont feel it again till at least 50 (I hope) then I will look ya up.

[This message has been edited by dkhntr (edited 11-04-2003).]

Wow! Great to hear about people offering to help.

I am a disabled hunter/fisherman myself. I took a .22 magnum bullet in the neck when a guy I was hunting with mistook me for a squirrel. Speaking from experience, it's great to meet and hear about people willing to offer their time/land/services to help others get out and enjoy the outdoors. I have a tough time getting out, but luckily, I have friends and family that are willing to help haul my **s out into the woods and fields so I have a chance at something. I'm very appreciative for all the help and I do my best to repay the kindness in any wa that I can. Most disabled hunters feel likewise.

As for your question, Capable Partners is a big helper of the disabled sportsman in MN. They are well organized and have a lot of volunteers. You could also talk to UFFDA (United Foundation For Disabled Archers). See their website at www.uffdaclub.com

The Rochester Area Disabled Athletics and Recreaction (RADAR) club sponsors hunting and fishing outings also.

If you want to spread the word farther, Buckmasters has a nation-wide network (BADF) for disabled hunting opportunities. The National Wild Turkey Federation also has a big group designated to help disabled sportsmen (and women) called Wheelin' Sportsmen.

Capable Partners is probably the best bet in Minnesota. If you want more info, I'd be happy to send along the contacts that I have run into over the years. You can reach me at [email protected]

Thanks for making this generous offer. The world needs more people like you. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Just another reason this site rocks.
Thanks for bringing up the topic.

loc9,
I got so caught up in getting you some info that I forgot about the forum that I was on. I am a duck hunting nut, but I had to sell my boat as it was getting too difficult and dangerous for me to be using it. I'm really looking for some land where I would have access to a flyway where I wouldn't have to use a boat. If your land is used for duck hunting, keep me in mind as I would be sick if I couldn't get out and ambush some ducks each year.

Thanks again for your generous offer.

------------------

i would be more than happy to take you out on a duck and/or goose hunt corn-killer, but the problem is that i am in arizona until the 19th. not to sound like a selfish a$$ but i don't think i can set much up for hunts this year. next year is a definite though. this area is on private land very near the metro area and a person can be driven right down to where we will hunt. we could either hunt ducks and geese on the lake, or in fields. the lakeshore has good solid ground with good willow cover. its not the greatest spot to hunt but we do get some shooting and like i said, its such a hunter friendly place i think others might enjoy it also.

thank you all for the info......loc9

[This message has been edited by loc9fisher (edited 11-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by loc9fisher (edited 11-05-2003).]

loc9,
Arizona, huh? Bet it's a lot warmer than here. My thermometer read 8 degrees at my house this morning. Brrrrr. No worries. I'm pretty busy right now too. Got out duck hunting before I sold my boat and killed a few geese in the fields over the weekend so I got my fix. Gearing up for deer hunting in two weeks now, then ice fishing starts coming along...

Let's keep in touch. I'm always up for meeting a new hunting/fishing buddy. Shoot me an email and we'll swap stories.

[email protected]

Kurt -

------------------

i was only able to hunt 2 weekends this year, one for goose opener and the other in no. dakota. kind of depressing when im used to going out every weekend. but they were both fun and memorable times for me. i should be getting back to MN about the 20th or 21st and planning on hunting the ducks until the season closes. but ill be home for the entire ice fishing season so im happy about that.

i too am up for making new hunting and fishing buddies so i will keep in touch. thanks corn-killer.......loc9

[This message has been edited by loc9fisher (edited 11-07-2003).]