• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shot size

Just curious. What is your opinions or favorite shot size for ducks? Geese? Any opinions on kent fasteel shells?

Here,s my two cent's worth, early season ducks I like using 4 shot and later I switch to number 2's,, for geese I had good luck last year with Kent Tungsten/Matrix shells 1 shot.. I feel Winchester super X is the better shell... hope this helps a little... Stat

Winchester Supreme's BBB for Geese and #2 for late season ducks (10 ga). Early season ducks I'm using 12 ga. 2 3/4" #4.

------------------
Puff-Puff-Pass

Kent Fasteel #2 and Federal BBB for geese Federal because I got it at a discount, $4 a box. wink.gif

I use Kent Fasteel 3" #2s for ducks all season, and BBBs for geese. Out of all of the 3" shells that I have saw and shot the Kent Fasteels are the fastest shells. I have ran through a chronograph and run anywhere from 1556 fps through 1588 fps.

Duckboy

Fours for decoying ducks and BB for geese...my two cents

------------------
"keep your line wet and your gun on the shoulder"

I have switched over to 2 shot for ducks, it always seems to kill them cleanly compared to the 4 shot. Although I used my little brothers 20 ga. last weekend and the 4's worked really good in that. If you can get them for the 12 ga. the tungsten iron and steel work great, it really knocks them out!
><>deadeye

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've gone to #2 shot for everything now. Geese included. My son and I dumped both of the geese we shot at. Last weekend. But we keep our shots to less than 40 yards.

#4 steel for early season ducks, then #2 steel. F or T shot for geese, not many pellets but when you hit them it brings them down instead of rattling off. Same for pheasants, #4 steel early, then on to #2 steel. I may even try some BB on some late season pheasants this year to see how they work. Need something that will break a wing and get them on the ground so the dog can do its job.

Have shot Kent FastSteel for about the last 3-4 years. I absolutely will not shoot anything else. Just got through my first weeks with a new Benelli SBE shotgun. Shot 3 1/2 2's for ducks and absolutely loved it. Didn't blow the ducks apart at all and when you hit them they where dead. No chasing crip's. Otherwise I have shot 3" 1's, 2's, and 3's for ducks with later in the year just shooting 1's. I would stick with the BBB or T's for geese.

Wavewacker, you touched on the 'didn't blow the bird apart' subject. Thats always a fine line when you start shooting the heavier shells, you better have the restraint to 'wait, wait, wait, shoot' when you have the birds close to you. I hunted with some sob's in SoDak that didn't plan on cleaning or taking home any birds (they would give them away), they just wanted to shoot birds, so they used 3" heavy loads right from the start. Consequently, you ended up with shot up birds. And when you have to leave them whole for transport... What a mess! That got old real fast.

BLACKJACK...I think I hear what you are saying, and agree with you totally. I have been around/heard about people that think just because that are shooting larger shells (3" or 3 1/2") that it is o.k. to plug away at birds 50yds out or so. That is rediculous in my eye. I don't treat decoying ducks any different with the different shells. Work the birds and get them in to a shootable range. Most of our opening day birds where shot around the 20 yd mark.

I will admit that I was skeptical to shoot the larger shells, especially on a smaller wetland situation, thinking that it would do too much damage. After inspection of the first couple I was first off pleased that they weren't "blown apart" and secondly that the kill was a complete/quick kill. I don't know if I would recommend it on a very small pond where you are getting some good close in woody or teal shooting.

Let me clarify things some. There is no excuse for not setting up right and working the birds in close. I do end up eating my own game, and wouldn't shoot anything that would "damage" my game to the point that I couldn't do so. Good shooting all.

Wave Wackers you are right on with your last posting. I to thought that the 3 1/2" would be to much for duck and I us BB shot. When I first started I used 3" but I had a friend that used 3 1/2 and he wasn't tearing the birds up any worse than mine were. Either way 3 1/2 aren't any worse than 3 and in my opinion 3 1/2 BB are my favorite shell and that is all that I use for everything that quacks or honks. Most people that have the opinion that 3 1/2 are to much haven't used them enough or havn't done a good comparision.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Wave Wackers you are right on with your last posting. I to thought that the 3 1/2" would be to much for duck and I us BB shot. When I first started I used 3" but I had a friend that used 3 1/2 and he wasn't tearing the birds up any worse than mine were. Either way 3 1/2 aren't any worse than 3 and in my opinion 3 1/2 BB are my favorite shell and that is all that I use for everything that quacks or honks. Most people that have the opinion that 3 1/2 are to much haven't used them enough or havn't done a good comparision.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

3 1/2" at ducks? BB shot? You either ain't hitting em square, your gun's throwing a spray pattern, or them birds are way farther out than you're estimating. Have personally put a 3 1/2" BBB into a goose at 20 yards that you could put 3 fingers into the wound. Pattern your gun with each round you intend to hunt with. The results will suprise you.
BLACKJACK, you're within spitting distance of Norway Lake looking at your other posts. I hunt from my folks place on the south shore. Can you get away for a mid week afternoon hunt late in the season if I'm off work?

3 fingers into the wound? Are you waiting for them to land on the end of the barrel? tongue.gif

Almost all of my late season hunting is done with BB and I have never had a problem. I prefer the larger shot when the down gets thick .. I like to have the shot penetrate rather than bounce off. The only difference between a shorter shell and a longer shell is you will have less gaps (fuller) pattern.

Used heavy shot 12 g. 2 3/4" #6 IC and Mod. choke last year and was not that impressed with its performance, but did not get much shootin in either. Due to that and the fact that this is kind of spendy shot I decided to switch to the new Federal Ultra Shock. My son is using it in a 20 g. 3" #3 IC choke and droping ducks dead at 25 to 30 yards over decoys. I've been using 12 g. 2 3/4" #4 IC as well and have had outstanding performance. Combined we've harvested 23 birds this fall, mix of mallards and woodies none have taken more than 1 hit to plant them on the ground. Getting solid penetration and good paterns.

Fall what a great time of year good hunting and great eating can't get much better.

Roamer,
Question for ya...why would you be shooting #6 at ducks? It's like throwing #8 lead at em...not much killing power there. 4's would be bare minimum with 2's the way to go.
Not rippin on ya, just trying to help.

Bryce, I live 6 1/2 miles NE of Sunburg, so I drive by Norway Lake just about every day, except for now when I go farther west, checking out the corn harvest for pheasant hunting. Yes, I'd be game for a late season duck hunt, I can take off during the week. Lets talk.

Heading to ND this weekend. Will probably be in the area the following weekend if work doesn't interfere. Try and hook up with then to plan for late season. Got a bunch of guys coming into the area from Iowa that have maps to my producers. They are going to hit it hard Fri- Mon. Should get some good reports of how the birds are moving.

[This message has been edited by Bryce (edited 10-13-2003).]

Sounds good Bryce. I'll be gone most of next week to SoDak, home next weekend (25th/26) - can't miss the lutefisk feed in Sunburg! Will also have some in-laws around that want to pheasant hunt, so time will be tight. Call me @ 320-366-3635. I'm also off the week of Nov 3-7, bowhunting and pheasant hunting, I may be hard to get ahold of... Call in advance, I'm not a spur of the moment guy.

tom herman- I believe he was referring to #6 heavy shot, which is somewhat denser than lead and much denser than steel- so itd be more like #5 lead than #8 lead. not a bad choice for close in ducks.

Bryce,
I guess that your 3 1/2 BB must be different than mine because I have never had it tear them up like you discribe. I have shoots several ducks with this method over the last 3 years and I have never destroy a bird like you mention. I have shot them point blank and out to 50 yards and I have the same results. The ones that are close might have a few more BB but they aren't big enought to put 3 fingers in. As far as pattern my Benelli does just fine. I think that some guys are just scared to use big shot. Steel doesn't have the same as lead we all know that so I would rather knock the birds down that wing them. Everyone has their opinion on what to use but I know what will be in my SBE this weekend, next weekend and the one after that. Good Luck out in ND we have lots of birds around here just have to find a good spot and get started.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

I mentioned BBB which is qite a bit more devastating than a BB load. But hey... whatever works for you. Most important is to pattern your gun to make sure you're getting a nice even pattern. No ducks in the area we hunted. No water and no weather to move anything around. Have a couple potholes that will be huntable if we can hit a migration in 3 weeks. Limits of pheasants with not much work.