• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whats the Problem with the Youth Hunt!

High-ball

Here is an issue I hear every year. Guys do more complainig and whinning about youth going out a week early and screwing up hunting oppurtunities for themselves. Lets look at the big picture.... whats more important? the passing of of our wonderfull sport of waterfowling to future generations or bagging a few extra birds on opener..im sure everybody here can remember the thrill of shooting there first duck or watching the pride and smiles of watching a son or daughter shoot there first. With the growing number of anti-hunting groups and animal rights activist, keeping the tradition going could be tougher down the road. We need to stick together and pass on the waterfowling to our kids and anybody interested to keep our sport alive. So in conclusion any body that has a problem with the youth hunt can take a breath and go join PETA as far as im concerned. Dont be a greedy pig! For those who took your kids or a kid out I commend you and praise you for keeping our wonderfull waterfowl tradition Alive

Very good post, I agree with you 100%! Those who complain usually are greedy and can't see the bigger picture. I have no kids but support the youth season 100%!

You sound a little intense about this. Just because someone doesn't agree with the youth hunt doesn't mean they are similar to the PETA people.
I think the biggest problem with the youth hunt is the adults abusing the day. If they are perfectly legal and teach the youth proper ethics and safety, I think it is a good thing. This also could be done on opener, but I'll just leave it at that.
The other problem I had was the CO response to no early goose hunting on water. They told me this would mess up the opening day ducks, so I would respond with saying the youth day may do this. And he wouldn't have an answer. Since we can hunt the geese on water, I have no problem with the youth day as long it is used properly.

I believe if the reasoning behind the noon opener is to save some of the ducks then what is the point of the youth waterfowl day! That is a lot earlier than a 12:00 opener, like 158 hrs earlier! Whats wrong with a 9:00 opener then! Leave it up to the MN DNR! Ridiculous! Just my 2 cents!

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 09-22-2003).]

JLM, Just a thought to your last post, My son was asking me the other day, (he's 9) why I haven't shot a large buck like the ones on T.V. yet. I told him that that is t.v. and them deer are normally shot on a ranch (see high fence) and that real hunting isn't like that, hunting is: cold, wet, hot, dry, snow,sleet, cloudy, sunny, animals, birds, no animals, no birds, shooting, not shooting. the bottom line is that the whole special day things sets the bar pretty high until reality kicks in. Thats why they call it hunting and not shooting, just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

I have taken my son out for the last 4 years for the youth hunt it has been great. Nothing better than watching your son or daughter bang away at some real close shots. They learn early to wait for the birds to come in close and not sky bust. He started out his first years getting only a few ducks but this year being his last, he did get 4 mallards, 2woodducks and also his first goose. Boy is he hooked for life. Now his brother who is 11 can't wait for his turn next year. "Mom won't let him hunt till firearm Cert. is in his hand." He's hooked too just being able to go with and watch.... I just hope they keep the youth day around for a long time. Just thought I would drop in my two cents worth.. The youth are hopefully our future to being able to hunt and fish for years to come.

I personally don't have a big issue with the "Youth Day" but please quit saying "but it's for the children!" what a bunch of hooy!.Thats nothing but a bunch of political speak to try and give an idea legs without really having sound reasoning, heard it all through the 90's for every cockimany feel good idea that came down the pike. If we as hunters really care about bringing more people into the sport or protecting what we have heres a couple ideas; 1. Take your kid DURING the regular season so they know how to act around other people and not just during their "special day". 2. If you don't have a child, bring a friends kid or some kid in the neighborhood who shows an interest. I personally owe some of my experience and knowledge to some of my dads friends that took me when he couldn't. There is alot we can do as hunters and educators without having to put ourselves in a "special needs" catagory. Thats all this country needs is another class of people who think they have "special needs".

Hmmm? You do have a point...somewhat. However, if kids are exposed to "good" hunting opportunities right off the bat, they are more likely to stick with the sport. If you take them out in October and see three ducks and freeze your a$$ off, they might not be as inclined to do so again! This is often the case in high pressure areas. Just my opinion!

If one day of shooting ruins your duck hunting season then you should probably find some more spots to hunt. In my experience ducks usually won't leave an area unless they are hunted hard 2-3 days, especially if they're hunted on their roosting areas. That's usually not a problem with the Youth Waterfowl Hunt because it ends at 4:00.

The DNR gets no money from this, except in terms of future duck hunters and their license fees.

I've never hunted the YWH, and it'll be a quite a few years before my boy is old enough to hunt, but I think it's a good thing. It's a day to learn how to hunt without Mom or Dad concentrating on hunting themselves, which should make for better (i.e. ethical, responsible) duck hunters in the future.

This is to ds......take up another hobby...if you live for just duck opener you have no right to even comment in this forum.....I thank the rest of the support and feedback from the rest of you guys...thanks....just to end on a quote.....it takes generations to gain and keep a trade going....it takes one generation to end it...

DS
If you think a teeny percentage of little kids out there popping a single shot at some ducks is hurting your hunt; all I can say is ya better look for a different lame reason. The small percentage of potholes with kids last Saturday isn't going to destroy your opener. If there are no kids on your slough, it should be all that much better possibly, since they are not getting disturbed.
My son bagged his first 2 ducks last Saturday, and I could not be any more proud. And he will be with me this weekend, and the next weekend, etc....
By the way, he won't be 7 years old until November 27th. (NO! I did not hold the gun and let him pull the trigger. He did it all on his own!)
PS - I hope I don't get destroyed by people when you read that Brandon isn't even 7 years old yet. Every kid is ready at a different time.

Highball, you obviously have a bone to pick with anybody that disagrees with your view that the YWD is nirvana, the minute DS states his view, you blast him. This forum works best if people just state their viewpoint and don't blast people, then some interesting discusions will take place.

FYI, I don't care about the YWD either way. In principle it sounds good, get the youths involved, as long as the adults don't abuse it by shooting. On the other hand, 95% of these kids will probably also go on the opener, Dad could set aside his shotgun that day instead and just handle kid and dog. But Dad doesn't want to give up his shooting... Or these kids could learn the way most of us did, go drag a boat out with your 16 year old cousin and shoot ducks. Or go around and jumpshoot.

My point Highball is that theres two sides to every issue and the discussion gets shut down (by the moderators or otherwise) when personal attacks start. Argueing against the YWD is like argueing against motherhood and apple pie, but state your points and convince the oppostion without attacking.

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 09-23-2003).]

Oh, don't worry, there are lots of seven year olds that could do it with help from their dad. I remember shooting stuff when I was 8 or 9 with my dad! I have a question for the guy who had his opener ruined over the last four years. First, what did you do on the second day of all those season when you hunted on opening day (before the youth started)? I assume if the kids chased away all your ducks (with the recent youth hunts)and they did not return (the ducks) that the same thing happened when you hunted on the opener...right? Second question, if the opener is alway ruined for you why do you continue to hunt in the same spot when you know its going to be bad? Just curious, thats all!

Weather effects the duck hunting on opener IMO, not kids firing a shotgun at a small percentage of ducks. Geez.

The pond I have on my property was full of ducks a week or two ago. The first 1 or 2 nights of 30 some degrees and they are gone. I see it happen to all my "opener" ponds every year....

Well lets see the pond I grew up hunting when I was a kid had ducks in it a couple weeks ago, now after the YWH there are none. I guess you guys are right I should just go down there stare at the water and shut my mouth. Because some dads are too big off *****s to just let there kids hunt on the opener and not bring a gun along themselves, I don't get to hunt my dad's pond on the opener anymore. My fault sorry.

So, the youth hunt scared all your bird off and they never come back. Does that mean that after you hunt your pond one day that you never have any birds come back? Sounds like you only had a one day season all your life! If it is your dads pond, why can't you keep the hunters out? If it is that bad you are welcome to join me any weekend! You can't be so bitter though, that might get old! Let me know!

jlm
Ya hit it on the head.

In comparison; There was a topic several weeks ago with a person stating that opening the season at 30 minutes before sunrise on Saturday would create soooo many problems and conflicts with other hunters.

Well, what happens on Sunday morning then??
Problems and conflicts with other hunters?

Duh.
There's a LOT bigger picture out there that has causes to the problems for people and the game they hunt, than my 7 year old son taking a whopping 4 shots at ducks last weekend.

All I know is that after the ducks are shot at once in my area they are gone for the year. I use to have real good hunting on the opener on a small pond that my Dad own's 1/2 of. But ever since the youth waterfall started my hunting has been completly screwed. Thank you DNR for completly destroying my opener of duck hunting for the past 4 years. Hope you break your leg on all the padding in your pockets.

I'm all for getting youth involved in waterfowling, but why have a "special" day? Why not make every day of the season a special day? Get them out under real conditions and teach them proper ettiquite so they don't grow up to be the slobs we all dread. Yea, you can do that on their "special" weekend, but you sure can show them examples of what not to do a lot better during the season.
Also, as long as you dress them properly, hunts during the regular season can be a lot more exciting than sitting there waiting for some single teal to maybe fly by. I'd take the ecitement of 30 mallards with their wings locked over fighting mosquitos, gnats and flys any day....and so would a kid.

Blackjack, ill try to keep my comments more civil. I like a good debate and a clean one at best...sorry about the trouble.